Sponsored

Knock in rear with Dana 44

DudeBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
I was told they no longer replace rear axles as it was becoming too costly for them. They can no longer justify replacing the entire axle as Chrysler says it is not effective enough over just replacing the rear carrier.
They aren't even replacing the axle assemblies now? Wonder if I should just replace my carrier with a locker then and call it done. Do you know if this issue has been causing any damage to the axle housings or just the carriers?
Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
They aren't even replacing the axle assemblies now? Wonder if I should just replace my carrier with a locker then and call it done. Do you know if this issue has been causing any damage to the axle housings or just the carriers?
Im not aware of damage being caused to the housings but I’ve also never heard of anyone letting it rip so to speak until something happens. I was told if I would have let mine go the first time it would have been bad but not sure what exactly “bad” included haha

That might work also BUT if it doesn’t and it for some reason happens again it wouldn’t be covered, if that matters to you.

They said the first time that my clutch packs were shot as well as my spider gears. When they drained the rear diff it was full of metal shards.

Still waiting until Tuesday to see what they say on this one. I would assume the same... It’s almost like something becomes misaligned or something..

DudeBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
That might work also BUT if it doesn’t and it for some reason happens again it wouldn’t be covered, if that matters to you.
Yeah, my plan was to get it all replaced and then put in a locker since it seems to be the carrier that's the problem, but if they're just replacing the carriers, there's not much point in me trying to get it fixed first.

Personally I think the problem lies in those crappy ball bearings they put in the new axles. I don't think they can handle the load and are throwing the carriers out of alignment which is causing them to wear out. They should have just went with standard roller bearings.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, my plan was to get it all replaced and then put in a locker since it seems to be the carrier that's the problem, but if they're just replacing the carriers, there's not much point in me trying to get it fixed first.

Personally I think the problem lies in those crappy ball bearings they put in the new axles. I don't think they can handle the load and are throwing the carriers out of alignment which is causing them to wear out. They should have just went with standard roller bearings.
That could very well be the case. Something is definitely getting out of alignment over time causing this at least in my case. I hope it doesn’t happen but if I was a betting man I’d put money on the fact that it will again at 60k unless there is a new revision to the defective part whatever it may be..

Drooler

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon
Apologies for not being very mechanically minded and if this is a stupid question(s).

CONTEXT
Currently have a manual 2015 JKUR that I added a 3.5" lift kit, 35" tires & steel skid plates. Have taken it off road many times and am super happy with it so far. Knock on wood, no leaks, no electrical issues, etc.

Compared to my 93 YJ Sahara that I had in college that suffered a broken transmission that had to be replaced, fried electricals, etc., my JKUR has been super duper reliable.

Am looking at the new JLU with the v8/Hemi engine option and noticed it had the 3.73 gearing. Good news and bad news, many options are mandatory including the Select-Trac two-speed transfer case (vs. the Rock Trac that is on the JLU Rubicon).

Reading this thread, I am starting to get very nervous... : (

QUESTION
1. Is the issue the Rear Differential?

I have been trying to follow the thread, but 87 pages is a lot to cover.

I think it is basically the rear differential that is the issue, but wanted to confirm with folks. After all, the title of the thread is knocking in the rear Dana 44.

And the solution from Jeep/dealers is to replace the defective part with a new part (that is equally defective??). Am I missing something?

The latter comment based on some folks reporting the issue at 20K and 40K miles after the differential was replaced. Sorry to hear this is happening... Twice!!

2. Or is the issue related to the Limited Slip Differential?
I think I read in the earlier threads it was the clutch pack?? Or the LSD??

Or is the issue both? Something else?

What is the consensus in terms of the issue?

3. Is it likely the new JLU with the v8/hemi engine option have the same issue?
Based on what Jeep announced that will come with it (as none are out there in the wild).

• Trail Rated capability in any condition with Selec-Trac two-speed transfer case and intuitive full-time four-wheel-drive, heavy-duty wide track Dana 44 axles with Tru-Lok electronic locking differentials and electronic front sway-bar disconnect
Assuming it is the new JL Dana 44 that has the issue, are Jeep Gladiator folks with the Dana 44 reporting the same issue? I think they have a slightly different Dana 44, but I think it is just thicker housing and wider Dana 44????

I think the new JLUR with the Hemi will be using the same Dana 44 that is on the Gladiator, but I could be wrong.

Durable Frame for the Most Powerful Wrangler Ever
The Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 chassis includes upgraded frame rails, front upper control arms and cast iron steering knuckles to take full advantage of the Wrangler Rubicon 392’s power and torque. Heavy-duty brakes bring the Wrangler Rubicon 392 to a composed stop no matter the terrain.
The Wrangler Rubicon 392’s off-road prowess flows from wide track, heavy-duty Dana 44 front and rear axles with thicker axle tubes and Tru-Lok electronic locking differentials. An electronic front sway-bar disconnect maximizes suspension travel for the most demanding off-road conditions.

Sponsored

trurob777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Apologies for not being very mechanically minded and if this is a stupid question(s).

CONTEXT
Currently have a manual 2015 JKUR that I added a 3.5" lift kit, 35" tires & steel skid plates. Have taken it off road many times and am super happy with it so far. Knock on wood, no leaks, no electrical issues, etc.

Compared to my 93 YJ Sahara that I had in college that suffered a broken transmission that had to be replaced, fried electricals, etc., my JKUR has been super duper reliable.

Am looking at the new JLU with the v8/Hemi engine option and noticed it had the 3.73 gearing. Good news and bad news, many options are mandatory including the Select-Trac two-speed transfer case (vs. the Rock Trac that is on the JLU Rubicon).

Reading this thread, I am starting to get very nervous... : (

QUESTION
1. Is the issue the Rear Differential?

I have been trying to follow the thread, but 87 pages is a lot to cover.

I think it is basically the rear differential that is the issue, but wanted to confirm with folks. After all, the title of the thread is knocking in the rear Dana 44.

And the solution from Jeep/dealers is to replace the defective part with a new part (that is equally defective??). Am I missing something?

The latter comment based on some folks reporting the issue at 20K and 40K miles after the differential was replaced. Sorry to hear this is happening... Twice!!

2. Or is the issue related to the Limited Slip Differential?
I think I read in the earlier threads it was the clutch pack?? Or the LSD??

Or is the issue both? Something else?

What is the consensus in terms of the issue?

3. Is it likely the new JLU with the v8/hemi engine option have the same issue?
Based on what Jeep announced that will come with it (as none are out there in the wild).

• Trail Rated capability in any condition with Selec-Trac two-speed transfer case and intuitive full-time four-wheel-drive, heavy-duty wide track Dana 44 axles with Tru-Lok electronic locking differentials and electronic front sway-bar disconnect
Assuming it is the new JL Dana 44 that has the issue, are Jeep Gladiator folks with the Dana 44 reporting the same issue? I think they have a slightly different Dana 44, but I think it is just thicker housing and wider Dana 44????

I think the new JLUR with the Hemi will be using the same Dana 44 that is on the Gladiator, but I could be wrong.

Durable Frame for the Most Powerful Wrangler Ever
The Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 chassis includes upgraded frame rails, front upper control arms and cast iron steering knuckles to take full advantage of the Wrangler Rubicon 392’s power and torque. Heavy-duty brakes bring the Wrangler Rubicon 392 to a composed stop no matter the terrain.
The Wrangler Rubicon 392’s off-road prowess flows from wide track, heavy-duty Dana 44 front and rear axles with thicker axle tubes and Tru-Lok electronic locking differentials. An electronic front sway-bar disconnect maximizes suspension travel for the most demanding off-road conditions.
As far as I know. Only the Dana 44 with Limited Slip is affected. Equipped on Sport S and Sahara models. What Chrysler has been doing is either replacing the carrier assembly or the entire rear axle. Yes, it continues to fail after they "fix" it. I'm on my 4th "fix". Fails every 5-6 moths.

trurob777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's the repair history on mine. Purchased the Jeep in late September of 2018. It is currently at the dealer on it's 4th fix. They are using the same faulty part number. Did I mention it's been at the dealer for nearly 2 months? :angry:

Update - Got my Jeep back yesterday, 11/18. Here's updated history.

Jeep Wrangler JL Knock in rear with Dana 44 1605847366986

Last edited:

Drooler

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon
As far as I know. Only the Dana 44 with Limited Slip is affected. Equipped on Sport S and Sahara models. What Chrysler has been doing is either replacing the carrier assembly or the entire rear axle. Yes, it continues to fail after they "fix" it. I'm on my 4th "fix". Fails every 5-6 moths.
Ouch. I’m so sorry to hear that man.

One fix is enough to drive a person nuts. Let alone having to fix the same issue 4 times.

Especially when all of us paid hard earned money for our Jeeps.

Plus thanks for confirming that it is the Dana 44s with LSD. I guess lucky for those who don’t have the LSD.

I am so jaded these days that it doesn’t surprise me that both Jeep isnt doing something to come up with a permanent solution and the Transportation Dept overseeing this isn’t imposing punishments.

I have a minivan so I can at least drive that if the Jeep is on the shop for mods. I can’t imagine how sucky it must be if one had only the Jeep.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
This was my second fix as mentioned the knock began at exactly 20k after my first fix. I have not compared the two invoices but I will post a side by side tomorrow. Now that I have my Jeep back I have my maintenance log (I keep it in the cargo tray). Hope this helps someone possibly.

Jeep Wrangler JL Knock in rear with Dana 44 00C13184-E4DF-438A-BBD9-F1F904E682B1

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
It’s also equipped on the Sport model if you have a manual transmission.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
This was my second fix as mentioned the knock began at exactly 20k after my first fix. I have not compared the two invoices but I will post a side by side tomorrow. Now that I have my Jeep back I have my maintenance log (I keep it in the cargo tray). Hope this helps someone possibly.

00C13184-E4DF-438A-BBD9-F1F904E682B1.jpeg
So I looked at my 1st fix invoice and there wasn’t much on it. No diagnosis just that they replaced the rear carrier assembly. I do remember the tech saying that when they drained the rear diff there was all kinds of metal in the fluid and that the clutch packs and spider gears were shot.

This time around as you can see the tech put “Cross Pin loss” so I’m assuming the cross pin lock bolt failed causing the cross pin itself to become dislocated from position?

So it could be the bolt causing the failures?

Any arm chair engineers in here? Haha

Any thoughts?

@JeepCares is there a possibility to have a star case or something opened so that an engineering group can take a look into the problems we are all continuing to have with our rear differentials?

It is evident at this point that the problem continues to persist.

These fixes out of warranty will not be cheap.

trurob777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Jeep Wrangler JL Knock in rear with Dana 44 00C13184-E4DF-438A-BBD9-F1F904E682B1
I noticed the part number on the case kit is different than the part they used on mine in 2019 (Part# 68401154AB). It must be a newer version of the case assembly. Is that the same part # they used on your 1st fix?

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed the part number on the case kit is different than the part they used on mine in 2019 (Part# 68401154AB). It must be a newer version of the case assembly. Is that the same part # they used on your 1st fix?
Ah I didnt even bother to compare the two P/N’s.

I get off work at 1400 so I’ll report in with that info as soon as I get out to the rig in the parking lot.

I do know that the designation of -AB would mean that it is a revision of sorts. -AA/-AB/-AC/-AD and so on... Or so I’ve been told.

Good catch!

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Confirmed:

1st fix @ 20k mileage - 68401154-AB

2nd fix @ 40k mileage - 68474060-AB

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Mine has this knock. I didn't read all 86 pages. Has this problem resulted in a stuck on the side of the road catastrophic failure for anyone? If not, I'll just put a locker back there to make it go away.
Sponsored