Sponsored

Knock in rear with Dana 44

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Good eye. It has 2.5" spacers all around, Rubicon rear springs, Mopar lift rear shocks for the extra weight I carry around.
Wow, that dealer needs to be way more accurate with their write-ups. They are no doubt doing their best to not warranty this.
Sponsored

Octocycler

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Just got the wife’s Jeep back.
Brand new LSD is in and rear-end is no longer knocking.
I’m going to message @JeepCares and ask to keep my case open until our 500 mile checkup, which I had to request from the dealership and they agreed, thankfully.
So far so good.
Not saying the NEW LSD is a updated “Fix” but only time will tell... I’ll keep you all updated.
7FF2688F-1870-48BE-B940-0FB432C5CEC1.jpeg
Interesting yours was just differential and not full axle.

Octocycler

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I can confirm AA part numbers for both prior replacements. I was looking at the papers from them last night.
It's at least a data point that supports repeated failures being due to re-use of the original part and supports that it may actually be fixed now.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Have to wonder if the smaller R&P (JL ‘s 8.66” vs JK’s 8.9”) and lower fluid capacity (JL’s 1.6 qts vs JK’s 2.4 qts ) are contributing to the axle failures.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Have to wonder if the smaller R&P (JL ‘s 8.66” vs JK’s 8.9”) and lower fluid capacity (JL’s 1.6 qts vs JK’s 2.4 qts ) are contributing to the axle failures.
I doubt it. The problem seems to be two-fold:
1) the clutch packs are wearing prematurely. I guess one could theorize reduced fluid capacity contributes, but I don't think so. Feels more like incorrect formulation of the friction material
2) once the friction material wears sufficiently the spider and side gears are meshing too deeply, causing metal debris within the pumpkin. This feels like a design flaw - plenty of 30 and 40 year old limited grips are running around the roads with no friction material left, clutch packs never replaced, and they're fine. An LSD shouldn't begin to self-destruct once the clutches are worn, it should just cease to function as a limited grip and essentially revert to an open diff (which is basically all it was ever capable of anyway LOL)

Sponsored

Valkyrie

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 2 Door
I’m finally getting mine fixed. After waiting on Jeep for over 3 months, I just took my Jeep in to get fixed. I’m tired of waiting on Jeep and listening to the excuses. This will damn sure be one expensive lesson, but worth it in the long run I guess.
E883332F-1BE2-430D-B66D-113FCB3037D1.jpeg

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
I’m finally getting mine fixed. After waiting on Jeep for over 3 months, I just took my Jeep in to get fixed. I’m tired of waiting on Jeep and listening to the excuses. This will damn sure be one expensive lesson, but worth it in the long run I guess.
Jeep Wrangler JL Knock in rear with Dana 44 E883332F-1BE2-430D-B66D-113FCB3037D1
If my wife saw this bill I think there’d be some issues(she doesn’t drive a Jeep). Definetly will help out in the long run if you plan on throwing 40”s on it other than a 4”+ long arm lift.

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab (Black on Black)
Vehicle Showcase
For 99% of us, I don't think that solution is a viable option. If FCA allowed us to buy out of future "fixes", I'd take the cash and apply that towards a similar solution.

For most, taking the LSD out permanently is the only real option (short of an actual solution before most of our warranties run out).

I think the corporate mindset is keep fixing where it is an issue until the warranty runs out. It is far cheaper than a mass recall. I am expecting mine to be an issue in the near term. I'm at 27k miles, but I've been on a few road trips so my situation is possibly different than others.

A class action lawsuit may be our only recourse. Sure some people are getting fixed, but it certainly isn't timely. And for those that have gone months without their vehicle, there was not and likely won't be any recompense.

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
For 99% of us, I don't think that solution is a viable option. If FCA allowed us to buy out of future "fixes", I'd take the cash and apply that towards a similar solution.

For most, taking the LSD out permanently is the only real option (short of an actual solution before most of our warranties run out).

I think the corporate mindset is keep fixing where it is an issue until the warranty runs out. It is far cheaper than a mass recall. I am expecting mine to be an issue in the near term. I'm at 27k miles, but I've been on a few road trips so my situation is possibly different than others.

A class action lawsuit may be our only recourse. Sure some people are getting fixed, but it certainly isn't timely. And for those that have gone months without their vehicle, there was not and likely won't be any recompense.
It may have been already mentioned in this thread, but swapping out the gears won’t fix the issue in the long run? Just had 4.88 Yukon gears installed both in my 30/44(ASD-anti slip diff). Don’t know if that means much. Hoping to get a prorock in the front in the future.

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab (Black on Black)
Vehicle Showcase
It may have been already mentioned in this thread, but swapping out the gears won’t fix the issue in the long run? Just had 4.88 Yukon gears installed both in my 30/44(ASD-anti slip diff). Don’t know if that means much. Hoping to get a prorock in the front in the future.
Changing gears won't fix it. You have to get rid of the LSD (either completely or replace with lockers).

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
No; it is not the gears that have the issue, it is the LSD clutch pack deteriorating, contaminating the oil and accelerating wear to the point of failure. At least according to everything I have read on the forum.

Valkyrie

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If my wife saw this bill I think there’d be some issues(she doesn’t drive a Jeep). Definetly will help out in the long run if you plan on throwing 40”s on it other than a 4”+ long arm lift.
My wife took the bill pretty good actually. Which is a BIG relief.

Valkyrie

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Most I know wouldn’t spend this on a fix, but I bought this Jeep to have fun and I am committed to doing just that. I agree that Jeep has no intention of fixing this. I think they are just trying to ride it out until warranty expires. Class Action May be a way to get something addressed on this issue.

Valkyrie

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No; it is not the gears that have the issue, it is the LSD clutch pack deteriorating, contaminating the oil and accelerating wear to the point of failure. At least according to everything I have read on the forum.
CarbonSteel, you’ve read correctly.

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Changing gears won't fix it. You have to get rid of the LSD (either completely or replace with lockers).
Then my next question would be through a third party(not FCA) that could diagnose the axles, or get in contact with all those Sport/SportS/and Sahara owners and start the process to go after FCA or Dana, or would it be too difficult to start and win? While Dana 60 axles sounds awesome some, if not most can’t just fit the bill of $24k just out of no where, and if going after the source of the issue is easier then it should be a push for this fix. If not with the news of other companies trying to push their new 4x4 to compete with the wrangler people may see it easier to go with a different vehicle company.
Sponsored