Knock in rear with Dana 44

Octocycler

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
So apparently when they shipped the axle, they said to reuse the original axle seals, which is what started leaking within a day of replacement. Just talk to them and the axle seals....are...you guessed it....on backorder.
Sponsored

Valkyrie

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 2 Door
So apparently when they shipped the axle, they said to reuse the original axle seals, which is what started leaking within a day of replacement. Just talk to them and the axle seals....are...you guessed it....on backorder.
Damn!!! Do they not keep anything in stock? Sh!t, they can take one of the Jeeps that they are building and push it outside and rob the damn thing for parts. Just get your customers back on the road and driving their Jeeps!!! @JeepCares

Punkā€™n Nick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Took my JLU Sport with LSD into the dealer today for an oil change and 2 year maintenance. Asked them to check rear diff because I heard a knocking noise. Diff fluid was black...they are keeping it overnight to further check it out. Here we go... any help @JeepCares

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Took my JLU Sport with LSD into the dealer today for an oil change and 2 year maintenance. Asked them to check rear diff because I heard a knocking noise. Diff fluid was black...they are keeping it overnight to further check it out. Here we go... any help @JeepCares
Hi @Punk'n Nick,

Please send our team a private message with your VIN, mileage, and dealer so that we can start a case for you.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Valkyrie

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man, Nick, I hope your experience is better than what the rest of us here have went through. Keep us posted.

Sponsored

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my update. Warranty repair granted, but the FCA "engineer" in the warranty department blames the tires. I have to show up with the stock rollers if I show up again.
Part # 68401151AD confirmed, but the dealer has no idea what the changes are. My power train warranty will be out of miles by the end of the month, so I guess I'll go the rear locker route before the friction plates start failing again, or try and find some Rubicon take-offs. Zero confidence that this is actually fixed for good.

IMG_20200721_114540.jpg

IMG_20200721_114601.jpg

IMG_20200715_172408.jpg

Valkyrie

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's my update. Warranty repair granted, but the FCA "engineer" in the warranty department blames the tires. I have to show up with the stock rollers if I show up again.
Part # 68401151AD confirmed, but the dealer has no idea what the changes are. My power train warranty will be out of miles by the end of the month, so I guess I'll go the rear locker route before the friction plates start failing again, or try and find some Rubicon take-offs. Zero confidence that this is actually fixed for good.

Jeep Wrangler JL Knock in rear with Dana 44 IMG_20200715_172408

Trav87, I'm right there with you on the no confidence thing. Hell, I'm going on 3 months of no loaner and no repair, but from everything I read and hear, I don't think they have a clue as to how to fix the LSD. I feel that anything they do to my Jeep will only have it back in the shop again in the future.

Yukoncornielius

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport JL
ā€˜18 Jlul sport with lsd, took it in for knocking in the rear end or in the clutch - I couldnā€™t tell where it was coming from and thought the clutch recall would fix it. Told them about the loud knock and that they could hear it If they drove around the lot. Guy said it was normal, and that itā€™s alittle play in the rear end. Noise is loud enough that people in a parking lot look at me when it pops upon leaving a parking spot! Lol. Death wobble fixed, steering locking up in cold weather driving at high speed fixed, busted parking break fixed, now a new rear end huh. That plus I think my clutch plate shattered, I say that cause I herd that gun shot under the hood when I was going about 60mph, I pulled over to inspect the Jeep for damage but didnā€™t see any, now the clutch is chattering and feels poppy(if thatā€™s a word) since the clutch recall. Advice? Should I change the rearend oil and bring it in if it has metal chunks? I donā€™t wanna drive it till it breaks because of it damaging other parts. Asked them to go on a test drive with me to make sure they were hearing the same noise- no can do due to the Rona. So far Jeep and Jeep dealers::::Four thumbs down!!. But I still have a blast driving it- and the constant death trap issues that keep popping up only add excitement......

Octocycler

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara

Can you confirm if your prior two replacements were the AA part number? Incidentally I'm running 285/65R18 (no lift) and got no such blame or caveat....and anyway I had just put them on when I noticed the sound, stock had been on until a couple days before I noticed it.

Sponsored

Pressuregarage

First Name
Kaimana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Operating Engineer Local 3
Just dropped ours off this morning.
Iā€™m so sick of this shit already.
Iā€™m probably just gonna buy an ARB when I order the gears and never think about it again

Valkyrie

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just dropped ours off this morning.
Iā€™m so sick of this shit already.
Iā€™m probably just gonna buy an ARB when I order the gears and never think about it again
I'm right there with you. Mine goes in Monday for ARB's and a re-gear. I've waited over 3 months for a fix and nothing. Not even a loaner or any help with my troubles. All I got was 3 different Case #'s (The first got closed because the one time they did call, I was at work and couldn't answer. I didn't even know it was FCA calling, but I returned the call twice and my case still got closed. The second got closed, because it was in the wrong department. So, now I'm on my third.) I can't keep waiting for Jeep to fix it. I need it up and running. So, Monday it goes in to get an ARB, air lockers, gears and driveshafts. Jeep has completely dropped the ball on us with this issue. Hell, I wish they would just re-imburse me for the 3 months payments while my Jeep was down and help me pay for the repair, but I know that won't happen.

A BIG shout out to @CarbonSteel for sending an e-mail on my behalf to the CEO. That did at least get me on their radar and I had a pretty good 40 minute talk with them yesterday. They are working on a resolution, but I can't wait any longer. I've got to get my Jeep going and my wife needs her vehicle back.

So, Monday, my Jeep goes in, parts get ordered and it goes under the knife, just not at FCA. This is going to cost a little change, but at least my Jeep will be driveable again. No thanks to @JeepCares, because you took too damn long with no fix and left me walking the whole 3 damn months!!!

Anyways, I should have my Jeep going and back on the road in a couple more weeks.

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@trav87 Did your Jeep really have a 4" lift with 285/70R17's?
Good eye. It has 2.5" spacers all around, Rubicon rear springs, Mopar lift rear shocks for the extra weight I carry around.

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Can you confirm if your prior two replacements were the AA part number? Incidentally I'm running 285/65R18 (no lift) and got no such blame or caveat....and anyway I had just put them on when I noticed the sound, stock had been on until a couple days before I noticed it.
I can confirm AA part numbers for both prior replacements. I was looking at the papers from them last night.

Pressuregarage

First Name
Kaimana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Operating Engineer Local 3
Just got the wifeā€™s Jeep back.
Brand new LSD is in and rear-end is no longer knocking.
Iā€™m going to message @JeepCares and ask to keep my case open until our 500 mile checkup, which I had to request from the dealership and they agreed, thankfully.
So far so good.
Not saying the NEW LSD is a updated ā€œFixā€ but only time will tell... Iā€™ll keep you all updated.
Jeep Wrangler JL Knock in rear with Dana 44 7FF2688F-1870-48BE-B940-0FB432C5CEC1
Sponsored