Knock in rear with Dana 44

Octocycler

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara

I’d like to know the answer to that too.
I had done some googling and found nothing with that number ending in AB or AC, which possibly means they had a couple design iterations that never made it to production. I also did a little skimming back through this 74 page thread and found posts from spring 2019 of people getting replacements that were the AA part - which means they were still replacing these with more of the faulty design (maybe new one wasn't release or they were using up inventory) - which could easily explain people having multiple replacements. So I am hopeful that this is a real fix. My axle still hasn't come in though it was promised last week.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pressuregarage

First Name
Kaimana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Operating Engineer Local 3
With so many people with similar problems I’m surprised this thread isn’t stickied

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

I had done some googling and found nothing with that number ending in AB or AC, which possibly means they had a couple design interations that never made it to production. I also did a little skimming back through this 74 page thread and found posts from spring 2019 of people getting replacements that were the AA part - which means they were still replacing these with more of the faulty design (maybe new one wasn't release or they were using up inventory) - which could easily explain people having multiple replacements. So I am hopeful that this is a real fix. My axle still hasn't come in though it was promised last week.
I've had 2 AA replacements so far. I have a voicemail in with my dealer asking for an update since it's been a week today since I dropped mine off

Valkyrie

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 2 Door

I had done some googling and found nothing with that number ending in AB or AC, which possibly means they had a couple design iterations that never made it to production. I also did a little skimming back through this 74 page thread and found posts from spring 2019 of people getting replacements that were the AA part - which means they were still replacing these with more of the faulty design (maybe new one wasn't release or they were using up inventory) - which could easily explain people having multiple replacements. So I am hopeful that this is a real fix. My axle still hasn't come in though it was promised last week.
I'm hopeful that it is a real fix as well. I'd surely like to know what has been changed about it. Especially, before I spend the big bucks to have my axles replaced. If I knew that this would fix the issue, then I would be happy with the LSD. I'm not sure who any of us could talk to to find out what was changed about the rear axle to warrant a new part #.

Octocycler

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I'm hopeful that it is a real fix as well. I'd surely like to know what has been changed about it. Especially, before I spend the big bucks to have my axles replaced. If I knew that this would fix the issue, then I would be happy with the LSD. I'm not sure who any of us could talk to to find out what was changed about the rear axle to warrant a new part #.
My advisor said that stuff is kept tightly secret. My guess is that, barring doing a costly recall, they wouldn't want the information out because informed people will choose not to buy a new JL without confirmation that it's got the improved axle/LSD on there. So the world may never know....

Sponsored

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Got the call from the service manager today. FCA is replacing my entire rear axle with the AD part number, The FCA engineers are claiming my 285/70/17 tires are part of the problem, so I have to bring my stock wheels and tires in so the dealer can mount them, and any future service will require me showing up with stock sized wheels and tires. Funny that a D44 comes stock with 285/70/17 in the Rubicon...
Oh well, only 2500 miles left on my drivetrain warranty. Guess it's time to upgrade to aftermarket axles if/when it happens again.
On a plus, I've never had to change the rear diff fluid yet lol

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Got the call from the service manager today. FCA is replacing my entire rear axle with the AD part number, The FCA engineers are claiming my 285/70/17 tires are part of the problem, so I have to bring my stock wheels and tires in so the dealer can mount them, and any future service will require me showing up with stock sized wheels and tires. Funny that a D44 comes stock with 285/70/17 in the Rubicon...
Oh well, only 2500 miles left on my drivetrain warranty. Guess it's time to upgrade to aftermarket axles if/when it happens again.
On a plus, I've never had to change the rear diff fluid yet lol
That's just a cop out. I'd like an engineer to explain how larger tires cause LSD clutches to wear faster. It just doesn't pass muster.

Plus with any other LSD it shouldn't start eating spider or side gears when the clutch material is gone, it should just stop working as a TAD

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, it's a total cop out. Hopefully the new part number actually fixes the issue and I never have to think about this again.

Octocycler

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
The FCA engineers are claiming my 285/70/17 tires are part of the problem,
So much for the reputation of Wranglers and their engineering to encourage offroading an modification.
Mine are 285/65R18 and I didn't hear any such feedback - regardless I had them on only a few days when I heard the sound - and the fluid was pitch black when I went in within two days of that. That fluid burned up over 20k miles with the stock wheels and tires.

Octocycler

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
"The FCA engineers are claiming my 285/70/17 tires are part of the problem"

@JeepCares - coming from a marketing manager, I'd say you guys have a product positioning problem with Jeep Wranglers if that's really the message from FCA

Sponsored

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Correct me if wrong but doesn’t MOAB have the LSD along with Rubicon sized wheels/tires?

Taggerz

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport
The latest "cause" my dealer's service department pointed to was worn bushings/sleeves in my rear shocks. I called Fox a couple days ago and got part numbers. Replaced lower eyelet bushings/sleeves on my rear shocks today. Went for a ride and the knock remains...

Called up the dealer and had a conversation with the service advisor. He's agreed to pop the cover for an inspection. Appointment is next Wednesday, will report back after that.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Correct me if wrong but doesn’t MOAB have the LSD along with Rubicon sized wheels/tires?
Yes, same size tires as Rubicon. Also Rubicon suspension I believe.

Pressuregarage

First Name
Kaimana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Operating Engineer Local 3
UPDATE:
Our dealer is Changing the Differential.
NOT the complete axle assembly.
Part number for this “Fix” is : 68401154AB
Just went in and had them research if this diff is a “Revised” part and NOT the same failing diff.
They couldn’t give me an answer.
Contacted @JeepCares via DM to update our case.
Just keeping all of you informed.