Sponsored

Knock in rear with Dana 44

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
With everything that is going on with the Dana LSD axles, I’m getting pretty leery of them. At this point, I’m just not confident that their ever going to be any good. I’ve been waiting for a month for mine to be fixed, but I’m thinking I’m just going to Dana 44’s or Dana 60’s with ARB Lockers and call it done.
Rubicon take-offs?
Sponsored

Pressuregarage

First Name
Kaimana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Operating Engineer Local 3
My question to anyone able to chime in, Is the sound our Rear diff makes is LOUDER with our 1.5” wheel spacers on.
Anyone else experience this issue??

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Pressuregarage

First Name
Kaimana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just read the post, what I’m concerned with is if I Remove the spacers but then put wider wheels on later down the road, will the sound return?
I’m guessing the extra width and strain on the axle and bearings is what’s making the noise. Which is complete bullshit....
Not sure about the noise coming back, but I would be concerned if it has damage that remains after they are removed but you cannot hear it until it is close to total failure. I agree that if spacers cause damage/problems that easily the axle design is total crap.

Pressuregarage

First Name
Kaimana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Not sure about the noise coming back, but I would be concerned if it has damage that remains after they are removed but you cannot hear it until it is close to total failure. I agree that if spacers cause damage/problems that easily the axle design is total crap.
I might just suck it up and change the whole carrier to an ARB or Detroit unit when we do the re-gear down to 4.88 and never worry about it again.

Mikeblue jl

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler sahara
I might just suck it up and change the whole carrier to an ARB or Detroit unit when we do the re-gear down to 4.88 and never worry about it again.
As of now the only option out is the ARB. or mopar replacement. I've had 3 shops check on other options.

Valkyrie

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 2 Door
I totally agree on this. I’ve researched it, spoke with my off-road shop and a couple of Jeep gurus and doing away with the LSD and going with ARB Lockers is the way to go. I’m going with ARB, but I do wish Eaton had E-Lockers for the JL.

Pressuregarage

First Name
Kaimana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I totally agree on this. I’ve researched it, spoke with my off-road shop and a couple of Jeep gurus and doing away with the LSD and going with ARB Lockers is the way to go. I’m going with ARB, but I do wish Eaton had E-Lockers for the JL.
I’d love to do Detroit E-Lockers and just put the factory locker switches to them, but I like the idea of an ARB for the multi uses of the compressors
It’s just ANOTHER $500+ on TOP of $1k not including the front and rear Gears

Sponsored

Valkyrie

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 2 Door
I’d love to do Detroit E-Lockers and just put the factory locker switches to them, but I like the idea of an ARB for the multi uses of the compressors
It’s just ANOTHER $500+ on TOP of $1k not including the front and rear Gears
Absolutely, I would go E-Lockers if I could, but doing an axle swap, re-gearing and adding ARB Lockers and Compressor will put me around $23K, but it will get me a way from the LSD and solve my issue with the rear axle noise.

sjoerger

First Name
Steve Joerger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Just read the post, what I’m concerned with is if I Remove the spacers but then put wider wheels on later down the road, will the sound return?
I’m guessing the extra width and strain on the axle and bearings is what’s making the noise. Which is complete bullshit....
I have the same concern about putting on wide wheels.

I've been trying to get a decent recording of the sound with the spacers on, then I'll try for another recording without the spacers. I'm not convinced removing the spacers makes the problem go away completely.

The shop that did my lift/tires/spacers is stumped. They hear the noise while driving but don't know what the issue is. There is no noise if they put the Jeep on a lift and turn the wheels.

Pressuregarage

First Name
Kaimana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I have the same concern about putting on wide wheels.

I've been trying to get a decent recording of the sound with the spacers on, then I'll try for another recording without the spacers. I'm not convinced removing the spacers makes the problem go away completely.

The shop that did my lift/tires/spacers is stumped. They hear the noise while driving but don't know what the issue is. There is no noise if they put the Jeep on a lift and turn the wheels.
Well, I’ll see what my dealership does to remedy the solution.
They’ll probably say they aren’t required to do anything BECAUSE we lifted it.
Which has no way in the slightest of effecting the rear diff.
Which is why I’m going in, and not my wife, mainly because I understand the mechanics of it.

Taggerz

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport
I've got just shy of 23k on the clock on my '18 sport with LSD rear. Just noticed the knock a few days ago and quickly found this thread. I heard back from JeepCares here via PM today and called the dealer. It goes in next Monday, so we'll see what happens.

I do have a 2.5" lift, 35s and 1.75" wheel spacers so we'll see how mod friendly my dealer is (they installed the 35s on stock wheels at time of purchase).

Taggerz

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport
I had to pick my mom up at the dealership tonight (she is having the steering stabilizer recall work done on her JLU). While I was there I spoke with the service advisor about my issue and upcoming appointment. He seemed very knowledgeable and while he said he hasn't seen any of this specific issue come through the dealership as of yet on these vehicles he talked alot about specific things that have been mentioned in this thread like clutch pack could be to blame, or wrong fluid used, was able to describe what it would feel/sound like if there was an issue back there and was confident they would get it sorted out for me. As of now I'm feeling optimistic about next week's appointment. I will post an update on how it goes!
Sponsored