First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
Picked my Jeep up this morning. Took it for a long ride and it seems as tho the rotational knock is gone. Rides like it did when I first purchased it a year and a half ago.

I was under the impression that they were replacing the rear axles, but I was incorrect. They actually replaced the front axles. Also had the broken passenger sun visor replaced while it was in for maintenance.

Hopefully (knock on wood) this will be the last problem I have with it for awhile!
Sponsored

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Picked my Jeep up this morning. Took it for a long ride and it seems as tho the rotational knock is gone. Rides like it did when I first purchased it a year and a half ago.

I was under the impression that they were replacing the rear axles, but I was incorrect. They actually replaced the front axles. Also had the broken passenger sun visor replaced while it was in for maintenance.

Hopefully (knock on wood) this will be the last problem I have with it for awhile!
Really?! Just the front axle? :( I hope mine is good to go after replacing the rear. That will suck if it's the front one too. Can you describe how it drives better now? Tbh lately my Jeep feels like it is all over the place and idk it just doesn't feel right. Hopefully, after this fix it will go back to normal.

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Really?! Just the front axle? :( I hope mine is good to go after replacing the rear. That will suck if it's the front one too. Can you describe how it drives better now? Tbh lately my Jeep feels like it is all over the place and idk it just doesn't feel right. Hopefully, after this fix it will go back to normal.
When it first started it felt like there was something stuck in one of the tires when you let off the gas. First time it happened we were only going about 35mph. Pulled over and inspected all the tires and couldn’t find anything wrong. As long as I had my foot in the peddle it was a smooth ride, but as soon as I let off it felt like with each rotation of the wheel that their was a thump or rotational knock.

When at highway speeds it felt fine as long as there was a load on the drive train. When letting off the gas or going down a hill with cruise control on you would feel it. It eventually got to where I could feel it all the time. Kinda like watching a car drive down the road when their tires are severely out of balance and you see them bouncing as you drive by the car, except you really couldn’t feel it in the steering.

Just hope this fixes it. Lots of different things done to other Jeeps with the same problem.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
When it first started it felt like there was something stuck in one of the tires when you let off the gas. First time it happened we were only going about 35mph. Pulled over and inspected all the tires and couldn’t find anything wrong. As long as I had my foot in the peddle it was a smooth ride, but as soon as I let off it felt like with each rotation of the wheel that their was a thump or rotational knock.

When at highway speeds it felt fine as long as there was a load on the drive train. When letting off the gas or going down a hill with cruise control on you would feel it. It eventually got to where I could feel it all the time. Kinda like watching a car drive down the road when their tires are severely out of balance and you see them bouncing as you drive by the car, except you really couldn’t feel it in the steering.

Just hope this fixes it. Lots of different things done to other Jeeps with the same problem.
Sounds just like mine.

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sounds just like mine.
Any modifications to your Jeep? Mine came from the dealership with a lift and 35x12.5R18 BFG K02 tires.

Sponsored

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Any modifications to your Jeep? Mine came from the dealership with a lift and 35x12.5R18 BFG K02 tires.
Yeah. 2.5” lift with 35s as well but on Nittos. My tires are really heavy too. And the noise started appearing one day after the lift lol. But still, this what jeeps are for and shouldn’t be a problem.

Lookthermo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JL) Eco Diesel
Update #2

I got a call from the dealer saying the wheel bearing was in and I should bring it in. I dropped it off this past Monday. Dealer replaced the drivers side wheel bearing. Then told me the passenger side was making the noise. They replaced that one as well. I got called from the dealer and they said that the diff fluid was extremely black and had sludge build up and they recommended I do the diff service. This service was done about 15k -20k miles ago. But I hesitantly agreed to get it done again. So after paying for another diff service they tell me it’s fixed and I should come get it. I picked it up and drove it about 4 miles and the rotational noise is still there. After telling me that it didn’t make anymore noise. Is it me or are all the dealer technicians either severely incompetent or deaf? Seems like they don’t know how to do actual troubleshooting and are just throwing parts at it. I returned to the dealer and was told due to Covid they couldn’t put someone in the vehicle with me to listen. I understand that completely. The service manager then told me he had to speak with his director to determine what the next step will be and that I should go ahead and take the Jeep for now.

I left a voicemail with my @JeepCares rep. Hopefully I’ll get a call back soon.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Update #2

I got a call from the dealer saying the wheel bearing was in and I should bring it in. I dropped it off this past Monday. Dealer replaced the drivers side wheel bearing. Then told me the passenger side was making the noise. They replaced that one as well. I got called from the dealer and they said that the diff fluid was extremely black and had sludge build up and they recommended I do the diff service. This service was done about 15k -20k miles ago. But I hesitantly agreed to get it done again. So after paying for another diff service they tell me it’s fixed and I should come get it. I picked it up and drove it about 4 miles and the rotational noise is still there. After telling me that it didn’t make anymore noise. Is it me or are all the dealer technicians either severely incompetent or deaf? Seems like they don’t know how to do actual troubleshooting and are just throwing parts at it. I returned to the dealer and was told due to Covid they couldn’t put someone in the vehicle with me to listen. I understand that completely. The service manager then told me he had to speak with his director to determine what the next step will be and that I should go ahead and take the Jeep for now.

I left a voicemail with my @JeepCares rep. Hopefully I’ll get a call back soon.
Oi vey....laugh or cry. Incompetent dealer. They should read this thread.

danh

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Hi guys! I've been following this thread for some time since my 2018 JL developed the same rear end noise. Finally got it back after a month at the dealership. Most of that time was waiting for parts. This is their summary:

"found noise from rear of vehicle, found coming from rear differential, removed cover to inspect, found fluid very dark and has contaminants in it from clutch material, found clutch assembly bound up and causing rear end noise. replace carrier assembly and test drove to verify repair."

They replaced the axle shaft bearings and seals and the Case Assembly. So far, no more noise, but I haven't been putting on many miles with the "stay at home" order in effect. Keeping my fingers crossed.

mitchellshirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I have a 2018 JLU and it has been making a noise coming from the rear. I hear it when I would push in my clutch and coast. I took it into a dealership and they told me my rear differential was “going out”. Any advice on what else I need to ask them to check out related to this.... while they have it? I would assume they would know what to check but I have lost faith in some dealerships from past Jeep repairs in older jeeps (death wobble).

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi guys! I've been following this thread for some time since my 2018 JL developed the same rear end noise. Finally got it back after a month at the dealership. Most of that time was waiting for parts. This is their summary:

"found noise from rear of vehicle, found coming from rear differential, removed cover to inspect, found fluid very dark and has contaminants in it from clutch material, found clutch assembly bound up and causing rear end noise. replace carrier assembly and test drove to verify repair."

They replaced the axle shaft bearings and seals and the Case Assembly. So far, no more noise, but I haven't been putting on many miles with the "stay at home" order in effect. Keeping my fingers crossed.
So that's basically everything but R&P

I'm honestly surprised a dealer and/or FCA would opt for all that labor vs just throwing in an entire new assy

Regardless, hope it continues to solve your issue(s)

danh

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
According to my dealer, it was FCA's call. Forgot to mention that this was the second attempt at a repair. The first time they opted to replace the rear drive shaft, which did nothing. Am definitely glad I bought the lifetime warranty!

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
After much waiting, parts finally came in and Jeep is now fixed....... for now. Drives a lot smoother now and knocking noise is gone. Might be too soon to tell but also noticed improvement in MPG.

39EF17C9-6901-4CD2-BE4B-A696E1343B89.jpeg

Lookthermo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JL) Eco Diesel
Finally!!

I received a call last Thursday from a quality assurance person at the dealership (never received one of this before). She asked about my service where I explained it still wasn’t fixed and has been in three times. She had the service director call me the next day where he told me to bring it Monday morning and ask for him directly. I arrived on Monday and explained the situation and history I’ve had with this problem. He assured me it would be fixed this time.

I received a call later that afternoon and was told they are going to replace the entire rear axle assembly and that it would arrive on Tuesday morning. Sure enough, I got a call by noon time on Tuesday and was finished. I picked it up yesterday and so far there hasn’t been any noise or knocking. I guess I was finally a big enough pain in the ass that they decided just to replace everything to get rid of me.

I’m happy with the end result. My only concern now is how likely is it to happen again? I assume the replacement part was the same as the original so I’d imagine it could pop up again.

I guess I should have bought that Rubicon with the lockers.

trurob777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Mine is back in the shop for a 3rd time for this issue. First 2 times they replaced the carrier assembly. It did fine for a few thousand miles then started knocking again. I took it to a different shop this time around (recommended by a forum member). The new shop called me today and said they are ordering an entire rear axle. Unfortunately, the axle is on back order until early May. So I'm stuck driving a gangster looking Chrysler 300 rental for now. I'm hoping this will finally fix the knocking issue. Has anyone had the differential start knocking again after a full axle replacement?
Sponsored