First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Getting my rear axle replaced today. I knew it had a sensor going out, but apparently they replace the entire axle instead of replacing the sensor/wiring.
Sponsored

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
UPDATE: I'll try to keep this short, but doubt it. I ended up having a pretty awesome experience with Jeep.

I never intended to bring my Jeep to a dealer. I was planning to install an open diff, e-locker, or air locker. Just to double checked before I bought anything, I called around to my local dealers to see if they've heard anything. I was pointed to a brand new Jeep Only dealership here in Las Vegas and was also recommended a couple of people to talk to.

Side note, Eaton is supposedly starting to work on a locker for the Sports. They are barely starting, if at all, so it's probably a year or so before we see anything.

Somewhat long story short, they had my Jeep from Tuesday until yesterday (Saturday) and it has never felt better after a rear end replacement.

First of all, find one of these dealerships if you can (JEEP ONLY), but from what I understand only a few have been opened so far. I will add some pictures, but they are insane. They are basically a custom shops for built rigs. The individual I worked with, Adam, was pretty amazing. He worked at 4WP for 20 years and now basically runs the custom part of this dealership. He builds rigs to sell on the lot, or helps customers to build up their rigs. They immediately said that mods do not effect the warranty and that my Rubi suspension swap, springs spacers, 35" tires, etc... do no matter. I went for a ride with Virgil the service manager and he immediately, basically said holy crap we have to fix that. They pulled each drive shaft to make sure that the noise was indeed isolated to the rear end.

One thing I learned from them about warranty work is that they basically have to identify parts that need replacing and then there is some kind of 48 hour rule in getting approval from Chrysler. Most of my parts were in stock either locally (Las Vegas) or from LA. Most of the reason that it was there for 5 days is that corporate approval process once the tech notices a part and recommends replacement.

They first aimed to replace the differential assembly and carrier bearings. Once they opened it up and pulled the axle shafts, it looked like the bearings had spun. So at that point they ditched the idea of replacing the diff and carrier bearings and ordered an entirely new axle housing which already comes with the center section built. They also decided to try to get new wheel bearings. They said they could press new ones on, but made the attempt to get approval for new axle shafts, which was eventually approved (yesterday). I was pushing on them like crazy yesterday, because I was getting worried that this COVID-19 thing was going to stop my approvals and my Jeep would be stuck there for weeks. They said some of the regional managers are already working from home.

I drove it home yesterday afternoon and it is smoother than silk. Fingers crossed the issue doesn't come back. If it does they quoted 5k for front and rear Rubi swap. I might do that unless an e-locker shows up on the market or just let them warranty replace again until FCA recalls this thing...

Attach64175_20200312_110430.jpg

Attach64177_20200312_110540.jpg

Attach64180_20200312_110635.jpg

IMG_20200310_094833.jpg

IMG_20200310_094841.jpg

IMG_20200310_101644.jpg

IMG_20200310_101801.jpg

IMG_20200310_102126.jpg

IMG_20200310_102133.jpg

IMG_20200310_102152.jpg

IMG_20200310_102304.jpg

IMG_20200314_161611.jpg

IMG_20200314_161707.jpg

trurob777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
UPDATE: I'll try to keep this short, but doubt it. I ended up having a pretty awesome experience with Jeep.

I never intended to bring my Jeep to a dealer. I was planning to install an open diff, e-locker, or air locker. Just to double checked before I bought anything, I called around to my local dealers to see if they've heard anything. I was pointed to a brand new Jeep Only dealership here in Las Vegas and was also recommended a couple of people to talk to.

Side note, Eaton is supposedly starting to work on a locker for the Sports. They are barely starting, if at all, so it's probably a year or so before we see anything.

Somewhat long story short, they had my Jeep from Tuesday until yesterday (Saturday) and it has never felt better after a rear end replacement.

First of all, find one of these dealerships if you can (JEEP ONLY), but from what I understand only a few have been opened so far. I will add some pictures, but they are insane. They are basically a custom shops for built rigs. The individual I worked with, Adam, was pretty amazing. He worked at 4WP for 20 years and now basically runs the custom part of this dealership. He builds rigs to sell on the lot, or helps customers to build up their rigs. They immediately said that mods do not effect the warranty and that my Rubi suspension swap, springs spacers, 35" tires, etc... do no matter. I went for a ride with Virgil the service manager and he immediately, basically said holy crap we have to fix that. They pulled each drive shaft to make sure that the noise was indeed isolated to the rear end.

One thing I learned from them about warranty work is that they basically have to identify parts that need replacing and then there is some kind of 48 hour rule in getting approval from Chrysler. Most of my parts were in stock either locally (Las Vegas) or from LA. Most of the reason that it was there for 5 days is that corporate approval process once the tech notices a part and recommends replacement.

They first aimed to replace the differential assembly and carrier bearings. Once they opened it up and pulled the axle shafts, it looked like the bearings had spun. So at that point they ditched the idea of replacing the diff and carrier bearings and ordered an entirely new axle housing which already comes with the center section built. They also decided to try to get new wheel bearings. They said they could press new ones on, but made the attempt to get approval for new axle shafts, which was eventually approved (yesterday). I was pushing on them like crazy yesterday, because I was getting worried that this COVID-19 thing was going to stop my approvals and my Jeep would be stuck there for weeks. They said some of the regional managers are already working from home.

I drove it home yesterday afternoon and it is smoother than silk. Fingers crossed the issue doesn't come back. If it does they quoted 5k for front and rear Rubi swap. I might do that unless an e-locker shows up on the market or just let them warranty replace again until FCA recalls this thing...

Attach64175_20200312_110430.jpg

Attach64177_20200312_110540.jpg

Attach64180_20200312_110635.jpg

IMG_20200310_094833.jpg

IMG_20200310_094841.jpg

IMG_20200310_101644.jpg

IMG_20200310_101801.jpg

IMG_20200310_102126.jpg

IMG_20200310_102133.jpg

IMG_20200310_102152.jpg

IMG_20200310_102304.jpg

IMG_20200314_161611.jpg

IMG_20200314_161707.jpg
That's great. What shop is this? I've had my rear carrier assembly changed twice for the knocking noise. I think I'm starting to hear it again. I'm also in Las Vegas. Considering swap to Rubi axels.

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
That's great. What shop is this? I've had my rear carrier assembly changed twice for the knocking noise. I think I'm starting to hear it again. I'm also in Las Vegas. Considering swap to Rubi axels.
Jeep Only. Literally just opened a couple of weeks ago on Sahara. Definitely go there.

I was talking to a guy there for a few days before I decided to go in. He quoted 5k basically out the door for front and rear Rubi axles.

He even quoted a rear Rubi axle only and then regearing the front to match but it is close to the same price because you need more than just the gears in the front so it gets close enough to make it worth the dana 44.

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
My Jeep has been in twice for a rotational knock. First time they replaced the drive shafts. Second time was the transfer case. They’ve ordered new rear axles, which came in and now I believe the only thing they are waiting on is the rear bearings. My dealership has been great to work with. Hopefully this will get me fixed up.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My Jeep has been in twice for a rotational knock. First time they replaced the drive shafts. Second time was the transfer case. They’ve ordered new rear axles, which came in and now I believe the only thing they are waiting on is the rear bearings. My dealership has been great to work with. Hopefully this will get me fixed up.
We're happy to hear that you've had a positive experience working with your dealer. However, if you are in need of additional support, please feel free to connect with us through private messages.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
I hope Jeep only catches on! looks like a great place to do mods.

Reactions: BJG

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
My experience was fantastic too. Luckily all fixed in a single visit. It took about 4 days because they made sure to check and replace everything that had signs of wear.

My jeep feels smoother than when I bought it, without a doubt. The noise was one thing, but I had no idea how much extraneous vibration there was. It wasn't very noticeable, but the smoothness now is.

I'm in love with it all over again haha...

n8shull

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I had this issue on my 2018 JLU Sahara since around 4,500 miles. Brought it in 3 separate times, each time the dealer was unable to replicate. Finally on a 4th visit they identified the issue and said the entire rear axle assembly needed to be replaced. I was told the assembly was on backorder indefinitely and they would contact me when the parts were in and the Jeep was safe to drive with the noise. Around 4 weeks of no contact, I reached out to FCA and they requested the parts expedited. I was contacted by the dealership a day later and was told I could drop it off. After 3 days, no work was started and I was out a vehicle (luckily I had another to get around). I contacted my FCA representative to see if anything could be done and was offered a discount on a new Wrangler if I chose not to wait for the repair and replace my Sahara. Went to the dealership the next day and drove off in a 2020 JL Rubicon and was only out a small amount of negative equity. The dealer also swapped my aftermarket wheels, tires, bumpers, and winch off of my Sahara.

Sorry for the rant, but FCA knows they have this issue and it seems to be extremely widespread, but too expensive for them to open a recall. They did what they could for me and my situation, and in the end, I landed in a brand new vehicle with more off road ability than what I had. No clunking noise in the new one, or other random issues I had with the Sahara since around 500 miles.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
^^^funny that got me thinking the JL is starting to show up more and more in rental fleets - if many are spec'd with the rear LSD there will be failures galore 'cause no one notices such noises in a rental.

My buddy just had a JL Sahara as a rental, so new it still had the Freedom Panels bag in back. Otherwise very bare bones though, esp for a Sahara so hopefully the LSD box isn't checked on the order forms by the rental companies. I never even thought to peak my head under to see if it was the M220 rear

Sponsored

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
I had this issue on my 2018 JLU Sahara since around 4,500 miles. Brought it in 3 separate times, each time the dealer was unable to replicate. Finally on a 4th visit they identified the issue and said the entire rear axle assembly needed to be replaced. I was told the assembly was on backorder indefinitely and they would contact me when the parts were in and the Jeep was safe to drive with the noise. Around 4 weeks of no contact, I reached out to FCA and they requested the parts expedited. I was contacted by the dealership a day later and was told I could drop it off. After 3 days, no work was started and I was out a vehicle (luckily I had another to get around). I contacted my FCA representative to see if anything could be done and was offered a discount on a new Wrangler if I chose not to wait for the repair and replace my Sahara. Went to the dealership the next day and drove off in a 2020 JL Rubicon and was only out a small amount of negative equity. The dealer also swapped my aftermarket wheels, tires, bumpers, and winch off of my Sahara.

Sorry for the rant, but FCA knows they have this issue and it seems to be extremely widespread, but too expensive for them to open a recall. They did what they could for me and my situation, and in the end, I landed in a brand new vehicle with more off road ability than what I had. No clunking noise in the new one, or other random issues I had with the Sahara since around 500 miles.
This issue is pretty fascinating to me because it seems rampant in the forum, but not so much in real life. Most dealers seem unaware. Maybe it's just individuals that work there that aren't noticing the pattern of repairs, assuming they've dealt with it at all.

Sometimes if I drive next to a non Rubi I tried to listen for the sound.

Either way your upgrade is awesome. I can't tell you how many times I considered ditching mine and getting a Rubicon, but the amount of money I would have been in the hole would've sucked. I estimated around 15k.

Thank goodness I had a good experience at my dealership. It runs incredible now and I hope it lasts for a good while.

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
All the parts came in for my Jeep, so we’ll be dropping it off Monday.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
All the parts came in for my Jeep, so we’ll be dropping it off Monday.
Great to hear! When did did you originally drop of the Jeep, or better yet, when did they put in the order for all the parts? I'm just trying to see if maybe they started sending the bearings in before their ETA.

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Great to hear! When did did you originally drop of the Jeep, or better yet, when did they put in the order for all the parts? I'm just trying to see if maybe they started sending the bearings in before their ETA.
First time we dropped it off I believe was in early October. They replace they drive shafts. That didn’t fix it so the ordered a transfer case which I believe came in sometime in late October. I had surgery so couldn’t take it in till early January. Dealership called me on the 23rd and said it still had the same problem. That’s when they ordered rear axles and bearings. Axles came in about 2-3 weeks ago and the bearings I believe last Friday. It’s been a long drawn out process, but as long as they continue to work the issue I’m ok with that. Every time I’ve been to the dealership they have done everything they said they would do. Since were retired, and drive to Sheridan 1-2 times a week it’s not an issue. It’ll be like a new Jeep when they get it fixed.

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Our Jeep dealer called while I was outside working. Said it’s fixed and drives just like new. Don’t have enough time to get there before they close, so we’ll pick it up sometime tomorrow. It will be so nice to have it back to where it was when we first got it. It something that I really enjoy driving, especially in the snowy weather on the backroads to our house.

C6EC9B72-6739-4211-9162-76E5024FDE44.jpeg

21969AF3-7B4E-4B32-BD67-050022DFD8D9.jpeg

60677934-BAEC-4D1E-AB22-C1B5992AC966.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: