Sponsored

Knock in rear with Dana 44

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@redelses

Please send us a message once you have an appointment.

Darlene
JeepCares
Sponsored

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
No issues loud enough to notice when coasting, but do hear the same clunk when taking foot off the gas and start coasting. So there may be that rotational knock with my foot on the gas, then I do hear the clunk when I take my foot off and start coasting, but then can't hear the rotational knock after that until I hit the gas again and the clunk happens again. Although I now just noticed that after that slow speed clunking, that you can hear that knocking noise at the end of the first clip when I am decelerating.

I think that lower speed and trying to maintain speed at 5mph or so seems to be consistent across the jeeps that have had this problem. I'm planning to take into my dealer (@JeepCares ) but trying to figure out a way to have it happen more consistently to avoid the "cannot repeat problem" with the dealer...
Interesting, mine is definitely less of a single clunk. It only really occurs when slowing down, mostly at around 20 MPH.

Lately I've been manually shifting the automatic transmission into a different gear and it will actually interrupt the sound. I really really really want to get under the Jeep while it's running. I've even contacted some dyno shops but haven't had the best of luck in getting someone who is genuinely interested in helping to diagnose the problem.

I don't think the gear change interrupting the sound points to the transmission as the problem, because it could just be altering the load on the drive shaft or differential gears.

For what it's worth, I do not want to bring my jeep to the dealer because too many people are having reoccurring problems. I want to find the source. Also not that anyone cares, but I am a design engineer of 15 years with a Master's Degree in M.E. so aimlessly swapping parts to have the problem occur again annoys me to the core.

We need a cause and fix from Jeep...

Boothorp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
For those who had their rear differential replaced, how long did it take for the noise to come back again for a second time?
I just started to get mine again after a full axle housing replacement one year ago.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Lookthermo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JL) Eco Diesel
So add me to the list of LSDā€™s that have this problem.

The first time in the dealer said they couldnā€™t duplicate the problem and gave me the ā€œitā€™s because itā€™s modified, lifted, bigger tires BS they always seem to just throw out there. Maybe @JeepCares cab jump in here and help out a little more. I have an open case but it did t seem to help.

I decided to jack up the rear and spin the wheels by hand. Definitely have noise in there . I canā€™t believe the lazy techs at the dealer havenā€™t seen this before nor took the time to put just an ounce of effort into it. I go back on Wednesday morning and this time I will raise Holy Hell until I get answers.

In this video you can hear the clunking that I believe the rest of you are experiencing as well.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@JeepCares thank you! I will message you when it is set up.
We look forward to assisting you further!

So add me to the list of LSDā€™s that have this problem.

The first time in the dealer said they couldnā€™t duplicate the problem and gave me the ā€œitā€™s because itā€™s modified, lifted, bigger tires BS they always seem to just throw out there. Maybe @JeepCares cab jump in here and help out a little more. I have an open case but it did t seem to help.

I decided to jack up the rear and spin the wheels by hand. Definitely have noise in there . I canā€™t believe the lazy techs at the dealer havenā€™t seen this before nor took the time to put just an ounce of effort into it. I go back on Wednesday morning and this time I will raise Holy Hell until I get answers.

In this video you can hear the clunking that I believe the rest of you are experiencing as well.
Is your case still open? Please send us a message so we can check for updates.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Update on my Sport. I did not pass the torque test and the dealership is ordering a new carrier. Of course it is on backorder. I had to pay to have them service the rear end before they did the torque test. Seems kind of odd that they would do it in that order. The seat rail was bad too so they ordered another one of those, and did a flash on the radio that was resetting itself. Fun owning a Jeep isn't it...
Why do you mean by service the rear end? Did they drain and fill? What did this servc cost?

XACEX

First Name
Shiloh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
They drained and filled. Said it would cost 186$ I believe.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@JeepCares thanks for looking into this. I've already sent a message and look forward to hearing from you.
You're welcome! I have responded asking for a few more details ahead of your next appointment.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Lookthermo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're welcome! I have responded asking for a few more details ahead of your next appointment.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Iā€™ve responded with the additional information requested. By the way my appointment is tomorrow morning.

Kebrill1990

First Name
Katherine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I am experiencing the same clunking noise when my foot is off the gas between 10-20mph. Mine is a 2018 JLU Sport S. I have an appointment on Friday at the dealership. Any pointers on what to tell them so that I can get this resolved ASAP?

Lookthermo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, I went to the dealer this morning. They drove the Jeep and acknowledged that they heard the noise. Then put it on the lift and used chassis ear and confirmed they heard the noise inside the differential. But there is a catch. They said during the chassis ear test the left rear wheel bearing was making more noise than the center differential so they had to replace the wheel bearing first. This part is backordered and not expected until May. I asked, don't you think the debris from the clutch packs failing have compromised the wheel bearing and what you are hearing is not the root cause but a symptom of the failure? The dealer responds "maybe but we have to replace this first. you can take the jeep for now".

I said I was going to make a phone call because I didn't feel their service nor troubleshooting was sufficient. I then get threatened not to call @JeepCares and open a case or they would restrict or void my warranty all together. The dealer says let me do my job to help you. If a case is opened he would be restricted in the amount of help he could provide. I'm not exactly sure they can be any less helpful than they've already been. My guess is they are just pushing me along until I get past the powertrain warranty so they don't have to cover anything.

Reactions: BJG

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
So, I went to the dealer this morning. They drove the Jeep and acknowledged that they heard the noise. Then put it on the lift and used chassis ear and confirmed they heard the noise inside the differential. But there is a catch. They said during the chassis ear test the left rear wheel bearing was making more noise than the center differential so they had to replace the wheel bearing first. This part is backordered and not expected until May. I asked, don't you think the debris from the clutch packs failing have compromised the wheel bearing and what you are hearing is not the root cause but a symptom of the failure? The dealer responds "maybe but we have to replace this first. you can take the jeep for now".

I said I was going to make a phone call because I didn't feel their service nor troubleshooting was sufficient. I then get threatened not to call @JeepCares and open a case or they would restrict or void my warranty all together. The dealer says let me do my job to help you. If a case is opened he would be restricted in the amount of help he could provide. I'm not exactly sure they can be any less helpful than they've already been. My guess is they are just pushing me along until I get past the powertrain warranty so they don't have to cover anything.

That's actually really interesting. My clunking issue sometimes changed when I would remove and reinstall my wheels and also went away and came back with less or more wheel offset.

I had a hunch that I had a bearing problem, but never really thought about the fact that the differential debris could have caused it. This mystery is unreal.
Sponsored