Sponsored

Knock in rear with Dana 44

DudeBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
I would love to know also if anyone else has a locker out for these. When I had mine replaced the only option for a locker was ARB. My whole axle was replaced but want to change it to a locker and regear when there are other options.
ARB, Eaton, Yukon, and Ox are the brands that I know of who make lockers. Might want what to check with them. Ox does make lockers for the jeep jl, I'm just confused when I look at their site. The spline counts don't seem to match the axles right. I tried emailing them a while back and never got a response. I guess I need to do more research.

What made them replace your whole axle? What makes me nervous about my case is the dealer never even looked at the axle. Once I convinced them I told them most dealers were raplacing the carriers and they just decided to order the carrier without looking at it. I'm hoping I don't also need a new whole axle. I'd hate to have the part come in and then find out they need to order more parts.
Sponsored

Mikeblue jl

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler sahara
ARB, Eaton, Yukon, and Ox are the brands that I know of who make lockers. Might want what to check with them. Ox does make lockers for the jeep jl, I'm just confused when I look at their site. The spline counts don't seem to match the axles right. I tried emailing them a while back and never got a response. I guess I need to do more research.

What made them replace your whole axle? What makes me nervous about my case is the dealer never even looked at the axle. Once I convinced them I told them most dealers were raplacing the carriers and they just decided to order the carrier without looking at it. I'm hoping I don't also need a new whole axle. I'd hate to have the part come in and then find out they need to order more parts.
I had same issues when I looked into anyone lockers the spline count on the JL with LSD is different. The dealer I bought from gave me run around and never looked at Dif so when I took to second dealership they opened sif cover and said it looked discolored and they called Mopar who whoever it is above them and they told them not to mess with it and to order whole new axle. From everything I've seen on this thread and what I can gather it is just the carrier with the LSD clutches that goes bad so seems like most are having just that changed now. But I am not sure maybe one of the other members has a better idea why some replace whole rear axle.

DudeBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
I had same issues when I looked into anyone lockers the spline count on the JL with LSD is different. The dealer I bought from gave me run around and never looked at Dif so when I took to second dealership they opened sif cover and said it looked discolored and they called Mopar who whoever it is above them and they told them not to mess with it and to order whole new axle. From everything I've seen on this thread and what I can gather it is just the carrier with the LSD clutches that goes bad so seems like most are having just that changed now. But I am not sure maybe one of the other members has a better idea why some replace whole rear axle.
I suppose that was before they narrowed it down to the carrier then. That makes me feel a bit better, thanks!

Toxiclows

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willy’s jl
I can tell you that there is no way that a dealership can only order (1) part every two weeks.. So that certainly is not true whatsoever. They would be out of business if that were the case.
this is true, they limit us through FCA. not sure why. but lots of parts are like this. . i believe it is ment to keep some dealers from stocking up on problem parts. so that everyone has access to them around the country

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Car companies would let people die driving defective vehicles if the settlements are cheaper than ordering a recall.
This really does happen and is considered normal business practice in the automotive industry.

Sponsored

Toxiclows

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willy’s jl
I will be miost lilely taking my rear axle home in the next couple weeks. seems like they do not want it back and we can get them for scrap value. . . may tear it down and find the root cause of the failure for myself. and then ill have a nice housing to build on someday. . . we are getting a pile of them stacked up here at work. . .. going. in today for a new rear driveshaft. to solve hopefully a different clunking noise. but have a sneaking suspicion that new new rear axle is already going bad again .. . and will require replacement. .

DudeBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Unfortunately no. That just comes with the bearings and shims to do the install. You'd still need a new carrier assembly or like in your case a locker to get rid of the defective part.

mooreyoder

First Name
Trever
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
Looking for some insight, I have a 2018 JL Jeep wrangler sport 2 door. 23,000 miles well taken care of and maintained (no oftermarket mods). In 10/20 I had to replace the rear differential at 20,000 miles. After that i constantly heard a low grinding noise when driving, took it back to the dealer 2 times for this. First time had oil change and they checked and said nothing sounds wrong, second time took it back again a few weeks later and told them still hearing noise. This time a sales rep rode around the lot in the jeep and said he does not hear anything unusual. So took it as Im just crazy and there is nothing wrong its just supposed to sound like that. Took it to have another oil change, this time decided to try another dealer, the dealer called and said we heard the low grind as soon as we pushed the gas peddle. And we have removed the (cap?-not very savey on vehicle's) of the rear diff and it is bad. He started asking and I informed him of the above info, He stated so it was replaced 4 months ago and has made this noise since then. I informed him it has, and i was basically told its normal. The service manager said no, your rear diff was either done incorrectly, and or the new rear diff parts have gone bad already. So where I am concerned is there anything else that could be causing a rear differential to go bad in less then 4000 miles? Other then a faulty diff part or being fixed wrong? Could anything else in the jeep frame or structure cause this, that i should ask them to look at as well. I am concerned that the original warranty is going to expire and it will happen again. Any info or help is greatly appreciated as i have had nothing but issues with this jeep since i purchased it.

DudeBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Did the dealer that replaced it reuse the old bearings? A grinding noise is most likely shot bearings. I'd check those first.

Sponsored

mooreyoder

First Name
Trever
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am waiting for a call back, He was just updating me and asking if I would like them to continue and dig further into it. Or if I wanted them to stop and put the cover back and come get the jeep and take back to the dealer who did it to begin with. He said after our conversation he can understand why I would not want to return this to the dealership who completed this the first time. He said they will dig further in and determine if it is faulty parts or if it was done incorrectly. Based on that it will determine if warranty will cover this or not.

DudeBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Just got off the phone with my dealer. They were going to replace the carrier, but after talking to FCA replaced the whole rear axle instead. I wonder if they haven't narrowed the problem down yet.

mooreyoder

First Name
Trever
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got off the phone with my dealer. They were going to replace the carrier, but after talking to FCA replaced the whole rear axle instead. I wonder if they haven't narrowed the problem down yet.
How did you go about getting the FCA involved in your issue?

DudeBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
How did you go about getting the FCA involved in your issue?
I opened a case with them originally through jeep cares. They've got some people who watch the forum and can set you up with a case manager. Just direct message @JeepCares or mention them here and they'll get back to you.

mooreyoder

First Name
Trever
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I opened a case with them originally through jeep cares. They've got some people who watch the forum and can set you up with a case manager. Just direct message @JeepCares or mention them here and they'll get back to you.
Ok, once i get an answer back from the dealership on if it was a faulty part or human error on the previous replacement of the differential. I will be sure to loop them in, that way if it happens again (3rd differential in under 23,000 miles) They can have it tracked and assist in maybe further review of what is going on. Thank you!
Sponsored