Knock in rear with Dana 44

Gaxmode

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Add me to the list as well. Sahara with 44 rear. Mopar lift and 35s.

Would a regear kit replace the problem parts? I’m looking to regear anyway. Just want to plan what to say to the dealer when they claim no warranty.
Sponsored

Eddied118

First Name
Edgardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Occupation
U.S. Army
Add me to the list as well. Sahara with 44 rear. Mopar lift and 35s.

Would a regear kit replace the problem parts? I’m looking to regear anyway. Just want to plan what to say to the dealer when they claim no warranty.
I don’t think the gear and pinion re-gear would do the trick. Jmonez had his whole rear diff internals replaced.

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
I’m having the same issue as well. I have a sport s with the 44 limited slip diff. No lift added new wheels and 33s about two months ago and since it has been more clear. It’s definitely coming from somewhere in the rear of the vehicle, I also could somewhat feel it in the pedals when I was on the factory wheels and tires. Coming up in an oil change soon so I’m going to have them check it out.
I was thinking what is the build date of everybody’s Jeep that has been having this issue
Mine was a January 2018 build

Sponsored

Kelowna

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Another visit today to the dealership...I now have 8400kms on it. The technician has no clue and they've asked that I contact JeepCares for advice.

Boothorp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Can this thread be moved to the issues and recall forum?

Sponsored

SwrvnMrvin

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2015 Jeep Renegade Lattitude
I have an early JLU Sport with about 13k miles on it. I've heard this clunk since about 7k. My JL has the D44, auto trans, 2.5 RK lift, Falcon monotubes, 315/70-17 KO2s. The noise is driving me nuts. I used to be a noise, vibration, and harshness/ chassis differential technician for Ford and I'm getting close to just tearing the diff apart myself but the warranty is holding me back. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone gets this resolved. Thanks to all those contributing to this thread. I also second the motion to move this to the repairs and recalls sub.

Eddied118

First Name
Edgardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Occupation
U.S. Army
I have an early JLU Sport with about 13k miles on it. I've heard this clunk since about 7k. My JL has the D44, auto trans, 2.5 RK lift, Falcon monotubes, 315/70-17 KO2s. The noise is driving me nuts. I used to be a noise, vibration, and harshness/ chassis differential technician for Ford and I'm getting close to just tearing the diff apart myself but the warranty is holding me back. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone gets this resolved. Thanks to all those contributing to this thread. I also second the motion to move this to the repairs and recalls sub.
Look through this thread. JMONEZ was fortunate enough to have his rear end internals properly diagnosed and Jeep dealer replaced the internals in his D44 rear end. I think he said it was spun carrier bearings.

Eddied118

First Name
Edgardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Occupation
U.S. Army
So I got mine back from the shop on Friday night, after just shy of 3 weeks! The rear differential assembly (Dana 44 lsd) was replaced with new axels and noise is gone at this time. Spider gear set was all chewed up and pitted, abnormal wear pattern on carrier bearings and axle bearings, along with axel shafts slugged up. Hope everyone gets this issue addressed quicker than I did. Now I’m just waiting on new drag link(on order)
There it is.

Eddied118

First Name
Edgardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Occupation
U.S. Army
I know this thread is labeled knock after lift, but I don’t think the lift has anything to do with it. I have had mine (JLUS) in shop 8 days this go round, they originally ordered rear ring / pinion to resolve knock noise. Upon install they found carrier bearings spun and ordered complete rear differential assembly. I’m hoping it will be installed by tomorrow, although they still have other repairs and diagnosis still left to do. I’m sure this concern will become more common and we’re just starting to hear about it. FYI I have the Dana 44 rear. Good luck with getting yours diagnosed and repaired sooner than later.
Here's the earlier post.
Sponsored