0E403FB6-AF2A-4E20-A01A-C859F1ADD200.png

Advertisement

1quick1

Staff member
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty rough thread. I did my rear diff fluid at 25k miles and it was pitch black. Didn't see metal shavings though but the magnetic drain plug was gunked up. Knock on wood mine hasn't had noises so maybe I'm lucky. Going on a 2,500 mile road trip starting tomorrow to visit the fam in Toledo.

Octocycler

First Name
Scot
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara

I’d like to know the answer to that too.
I had done some googling and found nothing with that number ending in AB or AC, which possibly means they had a couple design iterations that never made it to production. I also did a little skimming back through this 74 page thread and found posts from spring 2019 of people getting replacements that were the AA part - which means they were still replacing these with more of the faulty design (maybe new one wasn't release or they were using up inventory) - which could easily explain people having multiple replacements. So I am hopeful that this is a real fix. My axle still hasn't come in though it was promised last week.

Last edited:

trav87

First Name
Travis
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase

I had done some googling and found nothing with that number ending in AB or AC, which possibly means they had a couple design interations that never made it to production. I also did a little skimming back through this 74 page thread and found posts from spring 2019 of people getting replacements that were the AA part - which means they were still replacing these with more of the faulty design (maybe new one wasn't release or they were using up inventory) - which could easily explain people having multiple replacements. So I am hopeful that this is a real fix. My axle still hasn't come in though it was promised last week.
I've had 2 AA replacements so far. I have a voicemail in with my dealer asking for an update since it's been a week today since I dropped mine off

Valkyrie

First Name
Tony
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 2 Door

I had done some googling and found nothing with that number ending in AB or AC, which possibly means they had a couple design iterations that never made it to production. I also did a little skimming back through this 74 page thread and found posts from spring 2019 of people getting replacements that were the AA part - which means they were still replacing these with more of the faulty design (maybe new one wasn't release or they were using up inventory) - which could easily explain people having multiple replacements. So I am hopeful that this is a real fix. My axle still hasn't come in though it was promised last week.
I'm hopeful that it is a real fix as well. I'd surely like to know what has been changed about it. Especially, before I spend the big bucks to have my axles replaced. If I knew that this would fix the issue, then I would be happy with the LSD. I'm not sure who any of us could talk to to find out what was changed about the rear axle to warrant a new part #.

Octocycler

First Name
Scot
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I'm hopeful that it is a real fix as well. I'd surely like to know what has been changed about it. Especially, before I spend the big bucks to have my axles replaced. If I knew that this would fix the issue, then I would be happy with the LSD. I'm not sure who any of us could talk to to find out what was changed about the rear axle to warrant a new part #.
My advisor said that stuff is kept tightly secret. My guess is that, barring doing a costly recall, they wouldn't want the information out because informed people will choose not to buy a new JL without confirmation that it's got the improved axle/LSD on there. So the world may never know....