Knock in rear with Dana 44

Bingy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
I have a Sahara auto 8 speed with the limited slip rear 44. I just turned 26,000 miles. Yes I dive it everywhere and need a throw down commuter car. No knock or issues with my current 295 70 17 tires. I do have a lift, but I'm concerned what will happen when I go with 315/70/17 tires next week. I have tested it out by gunning it between 16 and 20 mph, coasting etc. Nothing yet.

I'm sure the dealer will not cover this knocking issue under warranty. They may blame the lift, bigger tires etc. Who knows...
Sponsored

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
Th
I have a Sahara auto 8 speed with the limited slip rear 44. I just turned 26,000 miles. Yes I dive it everywhere and need a throw down commuter car. No knock or issues with my current 295 70 17 tires. I do have a lift, but I'm concerned what will happen when I go with 315/70/17 tires next week. I have tested it out by gunning it between 16 and 20 mph, coasting etc. Nothing yet.

I'm sure the dealer will not cover this knocking issue under warranty. They may blame the lift, bigger tires etc. Who knows...
They shouldn’t, they’re (FCA) is aware there’s issues with rear end!

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
It would be great if we could have everyone with rear dana 44 LSD test this out. Have people coast around 15 mph and find out how many JL owners hear this noise. I'm sure the differentials in these axles were set incorrectly from the factory. Something to do with the ring and pinion gears not spaced out correctly. My question: How is it that once 35s are installed the noise is exponentially louder? Especially since most JL's on the street have maybe 5-7k miles. I think down the line as people put miles on their Jeep this problem will be more widespread.

BTW I have buddies with JKs and neither one had this noise when upgrading tires to 35s. 3rd Gen Dana 44 LSD flawed.
You’re right, it will definitely become a more common concern as miles are put on these rigs with the Dana 44 LSD’s. The 33+ size just makes it more pronounced

Bingy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seems like it is falling on deaf ears. Not sure FCA will do a recall. They will find a reason not to cover this issue...They will blame a lift, tires, whatever...

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
Mine 18'JL with Mopar 2.5" lift and 35" has been experiencing the exact same thing since the moment I drove away with it. It's been in several times now, they replaced the front rotors which made no sense at all, but who am I to argue . Then last week they put stock rims and tires back on. They said the noise was gone and to come down and take it for a drive with the tech. I was able to still hear it, alot quieter but still there. The tech said he couldn't hear it. The theory was the 35" tires and rims were putting to much weight stress on the front end... LMAO.

This issue seems to be prevalent among Jeep owners and I would hope that Chrysler would come up with a solution soon.
Confused, if you have the same knocking from the rear why they’re replacing front end parts. There’s a fix, it involves replacing rear differential and axels, at least mine is fixed at this time, who knows what the future holds!

Sponsored

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like it is falling on deaf ears. Not sure FCA will do a recall. They will find a reason not to cover this issue...They will blame a lift, tires, whatever...
Get a hold of @JeepCares and have a star case (claim) opened, and get it to the dealer ASAP, they’ll get it addressed. Once a case is opened it definitely helps get feedback direct from FCA to technician, corporate knows what’s going on and will get it sorted. Unfortunately I think many dealers or technicians are shipping these concerns out without tech touching base with tech support at corporate level. I will say this, it was a huge headache for me having this all figured out and taking 3 weeks with part holdups and lots of diagnosis, but Jeep cares, my case manager, and dealership were all extremely helpful and had great service, yes it took a while but it’s handled now and I’m a happy camper. Good luck y’all, hope you get it all sorted out soon without much trouble!

Eddied118

First Name
Edgardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Occupation
U.S. Army
Quick question for everyone having this issue with 3rd Gen Dana 44 LSD. What gear ratio do you have? I have 3.45.

Eddied118

First Name
Edgardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Occupation
U.S. Army
And again if the ring an pinion gears are not set correctly, they will make noise, either decelerating or accelerating.

Eddied118

First Name
Edgardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Occupation
U.S. Army

Sponsored

Bingy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do not have this issue with my Sahara and Dana 44 rear. If it does occur, I might opt to changing from my 3.45 to 4.56 and the 35's I will be running.

Would like to know if this is just a few issues or is most Sport and Sahara owners experiencing this?

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
I do not have this issue with my Sahara and Dana 44 rear. If it does occur, I might opt to changing from my 3.45 to 4.56 and the 35's I will be running.

Would like to know if this is just a few issues or is most Sport and Sahara owners experiencing this?
Hard to say, only a small number of complaints so far on the forum, but only FCA would know how many are possibly affected. Hope it doesn’t happen to yours

crystalbackJL

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
Same clunking sound, same speeds, same rear (Dana 44 LSD) as everybody else.
It's been going on for a while now. Reason why I went on the forum and sure enough I see this thread.
18 Sport with 4,000 miles.

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
Same clunking sound, same speeds, same rear (Dana 44 LSD) as everybody else.
It's been going on for a while now. Reason why I went on the forum and sure enough I see this thread.
18 Sport with 4,000 miles.
Hope they get that rear end replaced quickly and get you back on the road enjoying your JL

Mikeb16

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I’m having the same issue as well. I have a sport s with the 44 limited slip diff. No lift added new wheels and 33s about two months ago and since it has been more clear. It’s definitely coming from somewhere in the rear of the vehicle, I also could somewhat feel it in the pedals when I was on the factory wheels and tires. Coming up in an oil change soon so I’m going to have them check it out.
I was thinking what is the build date of everybody’s Jeep that has been having this issue
Sponsored