Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
This was my first replacement. Had no idea about the problem and it was not on my radar until my service guy doing my oil change at Wal-Mart no less checked it for me and said it didn't look good and was black as coal with under 20k miles. Then I went searching and found this thread. Observed and listened for another 10k miles before I had enough and took it into Dodge to have them look at it. My limited slip was not working as it should but they were not able to replicate the clunking I was hearing. Fortunately they heard my concern about the limited slip not functioning and tested it. It was at 30.5 foot pounds and failing is 30 foot pounds. This was with new fluid and frition modifier so they went ahead and listed it as failed and replaced the differential and bearings. The kit apparently comes with the bearings now.
Do you mind sharing you work order form?
Sponsored

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
No work order form but the bottom of my invoice has the differential kit number they used.

20200302_204407.jpg
And you mentioned that it came with all the bearings? Hmmm not sure how my dealership is not aware of this. I want to say that they told me they had all the parts except for the bearings or unless they meant to say that the kit was on back order.

XACEX

First Name
Shiloh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
And you mentioned that it came with all the bearings? Hmmm not sure how my dealership is not aware of this. I want to say that they told me they had all the parts except for the bearings or unless they meant to say that the kit was on back order.
Mine was on backorder for about a month. This is the kit breakdown. Looks like this is the 3rd version. Who knows. This solves the burnt clutch issue and they apparently didnt find another issue that needed more work. Or, they just went the cheapest route they could to keep me happy, but I dont think this dealership is like that. Time will tell. https://www.moparpartssurplus.com/p...ential--Differential/78739205/68401154AB.html

Last edited:

XACEX

First Name
Shiloh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
My dealer told me the same thing, and was going to order them but found them in the box I guess once they looked at the kit contents.

Sponsored

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer told me the same thing, and was going to order them but found them in the box I guess once they looked at the kit contents.
Hmmm I’ll just wait and hope everything comes in before May. I mean the Jeep is still driveable. This guy helping me has been awesome so far so I’ll just go ahead and wait.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Mine sometimes clunks when I take off in 1st gear (manual transmission). But I don't have any other noises. I assume the occasional clunk taking off is normal slack in the gears but maybe it's the beginning of this issue. Changed my differential oil at 20k miles and pretty black but no metal filings.
Anyone else have the clunk when starting out?

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
Your issues sound like mine. The clunk happens when starting in first with the manual, and more so when rolling back and (maybe) disengage the clutch too quickly? It also happens when coasting at ~5mph and then starts stuttering the engine. I don't get the noticeable rotational knocking like others have had, at least not loud enough to hear over the wind/driving noise.

Been trying to get it diagnosed but of course the service dept can't replicate the sound when the service techs take it out. It is intermittent, seems to happen more when warmer. Will need to check the diff oil soon (at 22k miles now).

Mine sometimes clunks when I take off in 1st gear (manual transmission). But I don't have any other noises. I assume the occasional clunk taking off is normal slack in the gears but maybe it's the beginning of this issue. Changed my differential oil at 20k miles and pretty black but no metal filings.

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Can someone refresh my memory why e lockers can't be installed in a sport if it has the dana 44?

I know the Rubicon axle is longer, but what else is different?

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
What's the deal with this? Will it work?

Some websites show it is discontinued? Some websites say front axle, but others don't. Can't find the spline count anywhere.

68400407AA

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@jmcdtucson
We do recommend bringing this concern to the attention of your dealer. If you would like the additional assistance of our team while your vehicle is being serviced, feel free to send us a private message.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Your issues sound like mine. The clunk happens when starting in first with the manual, and more so when rolling back and (maybe) disengage the clutch too quickly? It also happens when coasting at ~5mph and then starts stuttering the engine. I don't get the noticeable rotational knocking like others have had, at least not loud enough to hear over the wind/driving noise.

Been trying to get it diagnosed but of course the service dept can't replicate the sound when the service techs take it out. It is intermittent, seems to happen more when warmer. Will need to check the diff oil soon (at 22k miles now).
@redelses
We certainly understand how it may be frustrating not to receive a diagnosis. If you would like to source a second opinion from another dealer, our team would be happy to offer you our additional support.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Lookthermo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JL) Eco Diesel
First, the guy I've been working with @JeepCares has been great.

To recap, the first visit to the dealer they said they could not duplicated the noise. I returned two days later with the same complaint and brought video to prove it. Tech drove it and confirmed the differential was making a noise. Brought it in the shop and used chassis ears to listen. Also, confirmed the differential was making noise. He also said that he listened to both wheel bearings and that the left rear wheel bearing was making more noise than the right and it had to be replaced first. This bearing is on backorder until May.

My JeepCares rep called the dealership 3 times and got no return calls. I don't know if he went over their head or not but I got a call today. He said that the dealer told him the wheel bearing needed to be replaced so he put me on an expedited list to receive the required parts. Still don't have an ETA but hopefully soon. I questioned why the dealer never removed the diff cover to inspect as well as voiced my concerns regarding the wheel bearing being a Band-Aid fix and I would have to return for the differential repair. He assured me that everything is documented but the wheel bearing must be replaced before proceeding with troubleshooting.

I'm going to go out on limb here and assume the tech's that work for the dealer are incapable of actual troubleshooting / root cause analysis that's why they just throw parts at it until the problem finally goes away.

For those who have had the rear axle assembly replaced how long did it take and how many times did the dealer work on it before finally getting the whole assembly?

As it stands right now, I guess I drive it until the parts come in. Hopefully there won't be a catastrophic failure beforehand.

XACEX

First Name
Shiloh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
What's the deal with this? Will it work?

Some websites show it is discontinued? Some websites say front axle, but others don't. Can't find the spline count anywhere.

68400407AA
The spline count is different between the sport and Rubicon axles from what I have read. You might find the part number has changed to AB or AC depending on how many revisions they have done to it.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
First, the guy I've been working with @JeepCares has been great.

To recap, the first visit to the dealer they said they could not duplicated the noise. I returned two days later with the same complaint and brought video to prove it. Tech drove it and confirmed the differential was making a noise. Brought it in the shop and used chassis ears to listen. Also, confirmed the differential was making noise. He also said that he listened to both wheel bearings and that the left rear wheel bearing was making more noise than the right and it had to be replaced first. This bearing is on backorder until May.

My JeepCares rep called the dealership 3 times and got no return calls. I don't know if he went over their head or not but I got a call today. He said that the dealer told him the wheel bearing needed to be replaced so he put me on an expedited list to receive the required parts. Still don't have an ETA but hopefully soon. I questioned why the dealer never removed the diff cover to inspect as well as voiced my concerns regarding the wheel bearing being a Band-Aid fix and I would have to return for the differential repair. He assured me that everything is documented but the wheel bearing must be replaced before proceeding with troubleshooting.

I'm going to go out on limb here and assume the tech's that work for the dealer are incapable of actual troubleshooting / root cause analysis that's why they just throw parts at it until the problem finally goes away.

For those who have had the rear axle assembly replaced how long did it take and how many times did the dealer work on it before finally getting the whole assembly?

As it stands right now, I guess I drive it until the parts come in. Hopefully there won't be a catastrophic failure beforehand.
You gotta find yourself a good service advisor that is willing to help you out. I took it to a dealership and they gave me the same BS, that they couldn’t duplicated it and when they did, they blamed it on the rear driveshaft. They had it for two weeks for nothing even when I had a case opened with JeepCares. A couple of months later I tried another dealer and this service advisor was great. I told him what they initially told me but then I mentioned this thread and how it was a common problem. He said he would take care of me. His techs told him, they couldn’t find anything and he made them open the rear differential. Then they noticed all the wear and put the entire assembly on order. This guy diagnosed it in one day, while the other dealer took two weeks for nothing. But yeah, the bearings are on back order until May, unfortunately.

Bmiller

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
New wheels? If so, Have you looked into hub-centric rings? Solved similar issue for me in the front
Sponsored