Knock in rear with Dana 44

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Just recorded mine as well, get that knocking from both side, and both forward and reverse.

I was actually just chatting with a guy from a local driveline shop. He said that if you spin one wheel while the other is stationary, it can be pretty normal to hear a whole lot of weird sounds because the spider gears are going crazy.

Not to say that something isn't bad, but he said that this particular test isn't always very telling.
Sponsored

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
Thanks for the info! I agree that it could just be the gears in the diff making a lot of noise. Could it also be at the wheel/axle end? I think that is where more of the sound is from rather than the differential in these videos.

I don't think this video is necessarily telling either, but just to add to the other noises when driving... also the other wheel did not rotate much if at all while I was rotating one wheel, but could still be the gears making the noise?

I was actually just chatting with a guy from a local driveline shop. He said that if you spin one wheel while the other is stationary, it can be pretty normal to hear a whole lot of weird sounds because the spider gears are going crazy.

Not to say that something isn't bad, but he said that this particular test isn't always very telling.

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Thanks for the info! I agree that it could just be the gears in the diff making a lot of noise. Could it also be at the wheel/axle end? I think that is where more of the sound is from rather than the differential in these videos.

I don't think this video is necessarily telling either, but just to add to the other noises when driving... also the other wheel did not rotate much if at all while I was rotating one wheel, but could still be the gears making the noise?
I actually thought it was a wheel bearing for a while because my noise went completely away when I put stock wheels on there.

I still have them but haven't tried since getting my new wheels with -6 offset. Before that I was running spacers on the stock wheels that were essentially -12.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Just got notified that the assembly bearings are on back order until May. :crying:

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Just got notified that the assembly bearings are on back order until May. :crying:
So what's the deal when that happens. Are you taking it home and just dealing with the noise? Or are they keeping it until May?

Sponsored

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
I am experiencing the same clunking noise when my foot is off the gas between 10-20mph. Mine is a 2018 JLU Sport S. I have an appointment on Friday at the dealership. Any pointers on what to tell them so that I can get this resolved ASAP?
Any news from your appointment?

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
I’m not a mechanic so not sure what it is, but it feels brittle. Maybe part of clutch assembly??
I think the most common consensus I've seen is that as the clutch material does its job and wears, the debris gets into the gears and bearings and damages them, causing slop in the assembly. This causes backlash during unloaded periods and eventually the repeated impact forces cause further and further damage.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
So what's the deal when that happens. Are you taking it home and just dealing with the noise? Or are they keeping it until May?
I went to pick it up. It’s just a noise concern at this point I guess.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
I went to pick it up. It’s just a noise concern at this point I guess.
Ok interesting. I'm pretty torn between letting the noise ride until the thing blows up or just fixing it.

I'm not "fixing it" with another LSD. I'm going open diff or lockers. But right now it runs fine, just sounds "not good."

Sponsored

XACEX

First Name
Shiloh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Got my jeep back finally. I can definitely feel the difference with less slop and not nearly the drivetrain noise. They replaced the rear differential assembly as well as carrier bearings. They replaced the lower seat rail that was making a popping noise as well. Asked about service interval and was told about 30k miles on the diff. But the new parts came with the 60k 5 year or 2 year unlimited mile warrantee so I said I will see you in 30k miles for another replacement differential then. He said ya, whatever it takes. Jeep should really think about addressing the issue with these rear ends.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Ok interesting. I'm pretty torn between letting the noise ride until the thing blows up or just fixing it.

I'm not "fixing it" with another LSD. I'm going open diff or lockers. But right now it runs fine, just sounds "not good."
Planning on going with lockers as well once I hear it again second time around.

Reactions: BJG

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Got my jeep back finally. I can definitely feel the difference with less slop and not nearly the drivetrain noise. They replaced the rear differential assembly as well as carrier bearings. They replaced the lower seat rail that was making a popping noise as well. Asked about service interval and was told about 30k miles on the diff. But the new parts came with the 60k 5 year or 2 year unlimited mile warrantee so I said I will see you in 30k miles for another replacement differential then. He said ya, whatever it takes. Jeep should really think about addressing the issue with these rear ends.
Wow congrats. Nice to have it renewed successfully. Keep us posted!

By the way, refresh my memory, this is your first replacement or second?

XACEX

First Name
Shiloh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Wow congrats. Nice to have it renewed successfully. Keep us posted!

By the way, refresh my memory, this is your first replacement or second?
This was my first replacement. Had no idea about the problem and it was not on my radar until my service guy doing my oil change at Wal-Mart no less checked it for me and said it didn't look good and was black as coal with under 20k miles. Then I went searching and found this thread. Observed and listened for another 10k miles before I had enough and took it into Dodge to have them look at it. My limited slip was not working as it should but they were not able to replicate the clunking I was hearing. Fortunately they heard my concern about the limited slip not functioning and tested it. It was at 30.5 foot pounds and failing is 30 foot pounds. This was with new fluid and frition modifier so they went ahead and listed it as failed and replaced the differential and bearings. The kit apparently comes with the bearings now.

Reactions: BJG

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
This was my first replacement. Had no idea about the problem and it was not on my radar until my service guy doing my oil change at Wal-Mart no less checked it for me and said it didn't look good and was black as coal with under 20k miles. Then I went searching and found this thread. Observed and listened for another 10k miles before I had enough and took it into Dodge to have them look at it. My limited slip was not working as it should but they were not able to replicate the clunking I was hearing. Fortunately they heard my concern about the limited slip not functioning and tested it. It was at 30.5 foot pounds and failing is 30 foot pounds. This was with new fluid and frition modifier so they went ahead and listed it as failed and replaced the differential and bearings. The kit apparently comes with the bearings now.
Man, it's amazing how different it seems to be for different JL's. Unless I'm just overly sensitive to the noise, it was the first thing I noticed. However, I don't really know when I first noticed the sound.

Once I heard it, it's been bothering me for like 6+ months. I should just take it to the dealer but I'm pretty sensitive to who touches my so I've been following other stories first.

Thanks for the info!
Sponsored