Knock in rear with Dana 44

Lookthermo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JL) Eco Diesel
That's actually really interesting. My clunking issue sometimes changed when I would remove and reinstall my wheels and also went away and came back with less or more wheel offset.

I had a hunch that I had a bearing problem, but never really thought about the fact that the differential debris could have caused it. This mystery is unreal.
Yeah, It's really frustrating working with this dealer. They say they will call me tomorrow. I'm to the point where I may go to a different dealer in hopes their customer service is better. I just don't want to start the process all over again. Stay tuned.....
Sponsored

Reactions: BJG

XACEX

First Name
Shiloh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Mine is in the shop now. Hopefully it is just the clutches and it will be fixed with a new 3rd member. Had to fight with the rental company the dealership uses just to get a jeep Renegade instead of a dodge dart that was making some crazy noises when he picked me up in it. Then...the battery was dead in the renegade. Brought it to the dealership after he jump started it in front of me, and it died there. At least the service manager I have been working with had the whit to have my rental battery tested and replaced under warrantee while I waited. Called the rental company and he asked what there plan was when I got stranded 80 miles away at the coast where I work...their response was it was not their problem...I can't make this stuff up it is so retarded.

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport

Summit_CO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2004 TJ
Mine is in the shop now, will be receiving a new axle assembly next week. Has anyone installed an ARB rear locker and if so do you still have the same problem?

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
I've tried repeatedly to replicate the sound on jack stands with zero luck.

I thought of trying to create an actual "differential" in wheel speed to engage the clutch activity more.

It's not the same clunking that I experience, but this shows that gear noise that others have shown by manually rotating one rear tire.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/K21cYLKZ1PU633ceA

Sponsored

Reabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara unlimited 2018
I've tried repeatedly to replicate the sound on jack stands with zero luck.

I thought of trying to create an actual "differential" in wheel speed to engage the clutch activity more.

It's not the same clunking that I experience, but this shows that gear noise that others have shown by manually rotating one rear tire.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/K21cYLKZ1PU633ceA
I too only get noise when driving, not on a lift!

Sponsored

XACEX

First Name
Shiloh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Dealer called today and said my JLU would be there over the weekend now. They found the carrier bearings were also bad when replacing the differential. Not surprised after reading this thread.

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Dealer called today and said my JLU would be there over the weekend now. They found the carrier bearings were also bad when replacing the differential. Not surprised after reading this thread.
Are they rebuilding your rear end or replacing the entire thing?

I will be really curious to see if they fix it early next week and all of your odd sounds are gone.

My biggest fears about dealerships is (1) complaining that my jeep isn't bone stock, (2) it takes weeks of ordering parts to fix and (3) the problems return not long after going through all of this.

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
@JeepCares

I was just rereading about half of this immense thread from the beginning.

In May of last year it was mentioned that FCA personnel at the executive level were reviewing and involved in this issue.

I wanted to ask if there are any updates that you can share at this point?

There are numerous individuals in this thread that have had the rear end replaced multiple times. Others who have had it replaced only once still reported that the fluid was contaminated prematurely and that failure was likely in the future.

Obviously I have been involved in this thread for a little while and am weighing my options. I love my jeep but the issue is extremely frustrating while driving and post warranty repairs can be extremely expensive. I am considering parting ways with my Jeep due to the uncertainty associated with the rear end. Any information or updates that you might be able to provide from the corporate perspective would be helpful.

I know that individuals in this group are small and somewhat meaningless at the high levels, but we are all hoping that something bigger is in the works to squash this problem for everyone.

Thank You,
Brian

XACEX

First Name
Shiloh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Are they rebuilding your rear end or replacing the entire thing?

I will be really curious to see if they fix it early next week and all of your odd sounds are gone.

My biggest fears about dealerships is (1) complaining that my jeep isn't bone stock, (2) it takes weeks of ordering parts to fix and (3) the problems return not long after going through all of this.
At this point they are rebuilding the rear end. I let them know that was probably not the best solution but this is also the first time they have had a JL in with this problem at this dealership. This is a Dodge dealership which does not work on many jeeps because there is a jeep dealership across town. My experience with the jeep dealership was bad, and the Dodge dealership was closer so I decided to take it to them. My experience with the dealership has been fine, their rental company on the other hand could lick a dog turd off my boot and I would still have an issue with them.
I have no doubt I will have to take this Jeep in again for the same problem if the parts they are puting in are the same. It is inevitable because they are defective rear ends and FCA has not addressed the problem. I am extending the warrantee and they can buy me a new Jeep after the third rear end replacement via the lemon law if they continue to take the same path. My dealership said the noise was normal so I told them the limited slip was failing to finally get them to test it. Obviously it failed the test with the tool they had to borrow from the Jeep dealership before I could even get them to address the problem. Now that they have it open and apart they are finding out about the failure of FCA quality control, and/or a design issue.

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
At this point they are rebuilding the rear end. I let them know that was probably not the best solution but this is also the first time they have had a JL in with this problem at this dealership. This is a Dodge dealership which does not work on many jeeps because there is a jeep dealership across town. My experience with the jeep dealership was bad, and the Dodge dealership was closer so I decided to take it to them. My experience with the dealership has been fine, their rental company on the other hand could lick a dog turd off my boot and I would still have an issue with them.
I have no doubt I will have to take this Jeep in again for the same problem if the parts they are puting in are the same. It is inevitable because they are defective rear ends and FCA has not addressed the problem. I am extending the warrantee and they can buy me a new Jeep after the third rear end replacement via the lemon law if they continue to take the same path. My dealership said the noise was normal so I told them the limited slip was failing to finally get them to test it. Obviously it failed the test with the tool they had to borrow from the Jeep dealership before I could even get them to address the problem. Now that they have it open and apart they are finding out about the failure of FCA quality control, and/or a design issue.
Wow ok. I contacted a local dealership this morning to see if they will do warranty work on mine but install an open diff instead of the LSD. Doubt it but fingers crossed.

If not I think I'm going to pay for an open diff at a regular 4x4 shop.
Sponsored