Knock in rear with Dana 44

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
So I am hearing the knock in a 2019 JLU Moab Edition (LSD is part of the Moab package).

I am looking to do a regear and lockers.

If this is diagnosed, is a replacement WITHOUT LSD an option? It does sound as if the LSD is the root cause and if I'm going F/R lockers, I won't need the LSD.

Thoughts?

Well if you're doing lockers you won't have the clutches. It would be a good experiment to see if the issue goes away completely after the work is done. You doing air lockers or electric?
Sponsored

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab (Black on Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Well if you're doing lockers you won't have the clutches. It would be a good experiment to see if the issue goes away completely after the work is done. You doing air lockers or electric?
Waiting on a quote from my shop. Looking to regear to 4.88 and add ARB lockers (dedicated Viair compressor). Hoping to have that done in the next month or two.

Reactions: BJG

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
I will be dropping off my Jeep later in February and hopefully this dealership can do the work. I am almost certain the knocking noise is coming from the rear axle as well. Do any of you have any videos or voice recordings that you are willing to share so I can compare my noise to yours? Thanks!

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara, 2019 JL Wrangler Sahara
I will be dropping off my Jeep later in February and hopefully this dealership can do the work. I am almost certain the knocking noise is coming from the rear axle as well. Do any of you have any videos or voice recordings that you are willing to share so I can compare my noise to yours? Thanks!
Reference my main post #514 for the sound of my noisy 2018 vs my wife's quiet 2019. Follow on posts #546, 588 & 608 should give you a good picture of my experiences.

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport

Look back a few pages for my audio file as well. It's not the best but you can hear it. I plan to mount a camera under there in several places soon so I can determine where it is the loudest and where it is coming from.

Sponsored

Bluebeast

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
I have a video of it but can't figure out how to post it. Every time I try it says wrong format. :mad:

Tango_Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sahara 3.6L, '99 XJ 4.0L
I’m in Saskatchewan and am in the same situation. First they checked rear end and said everything was fine and said it was the wheels, brakes etc. finally said it was the defective rear end as they were advised by this from FCA as they couldn’t find anything else wrong and consulted with them.

I’m still waiting on parts as this was diagnosed last week. My Jeep has 5000km on it. Did they keep your vehicle because it’s unsafe to drive? They gave me mine back and said that I can continue driving until the rear axle assembly comes in. I’m wondering if they should’ve kept mine to and given me a loaner.
Hey,

They didnt really specify why they couldnt let me drive it while waiting for the part. Only that it was in pieces on a lift, so i guess they didnt want to do the work twice.

I've had it back for about 2 weeks and 500kms. So far it seems fine, but tbh, im not optimistic from what i read on here.

Sponsored

SJSK

First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Hey,

They didnt really specify why they couldnt let me drive it while waiting for the part. Only that it was in pieces on a lift, so i guess they didnt want to do the work twice.

I've had it back for about 2 weeks and 500kms. So far it seems fine, but tbh, im not optimistic from what i read on here.
They just did mine two days ago. Noise is gone for now. But as they replaced with the same rear assembly its hard to believe it won’t occur again after a few thousand kilometers.

Tango_Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sahara 3.6L, '99 XJ 4.0L
They just did mine two days ago. Noise is gone for now. But as they replaced with the same rear assembly its hard to believe it won’t occur again after a few thousand kilometers.
I 100% agree. I will be buying the extended warranty.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Hmmmm that sound does sound familiar.
Last night I disassembled the left and right wheels essentially down to the axle bearing at the wheel.

It's really tough to judge without knowing what the actual tolerances are, but they both seemed OK. The side that I thought was causing the issue seemed sliiiightly more sloppy but again really hard to tell.

It's somewhat tempting to buy a new assembly to slide in because they are around 200 bucks, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do at the moment.

It's expensive but a part of me wants to order a Rubicon rear end to get rid of this forever and get the e locker.
Sponsored