Sponsored

Knock in rear with Dana 44

trurob777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Holy moly that sounds bad, makes mine seem like a non issue at this point ...
It's tougher to hear when you are driving around. It definitely starts as a faint noise and progressively gets worse with time. At least this was my experience. Hopefully your Jeep is not affected. It's a huge inconvenience to deal with. Especially when the dealer is not "on your side". Thankfully Jeep Cares stepped up, worked with the dealer, and the dealer changed their tone.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
Holy moly that sounds bad, makes mine seem like a non issue at this point ...
That was my Jeep! Good news, I just picked up my Jeep with the replaced rear axle this morning. The noise is gone! They have no idea what was causing the noise when they replaced the bearings. All the side and pinion gears didn't have any weird wear patterns nor were the axle shafts worn or damaged. All they noticed was how strange the color of diff oil was. This was replaced with less than a thousand miles when they initially diagnosed it.

I can't begin to tell you how relieved I am to finally have a proper running vehicle after 8 months living with the noise! Good luck to all with this issue, hope you have a resolution soon.

Sponsored

4LowPhoto

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Anyone have a soundbite or video of this issue? I might be experiencing the slightest of the symptoms that sometimes I think I'm going crazy whenever I hear the noise coming from the rear end..
Going to put mine on jack stands to try and get a proper video today.

abutterman1

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
My 18 Sahara with the Dana 44/anti spin diff/select trac was just at the dealer for this exact knocking noise. It is fairly faint at this point but it can be heard consistently. The dealer decided to pull the "unable to reproduce" card. I went this morning and took it out with the service manager. I immediately pointed out the noise. He said "I don't hear anything unusual". Told him that Jeep is specifically looking to collect data on this issue as people are reporting defective rear diffs on this configuration and I have a case open. He shrugged and said "ehh I don't hear anything unusual". He even had the balls to close out the service ticket before I even got there. as we pulled up back to the dealer he handed me the paper and sent me on my way. They clearly had no intention of looking into this. Worst part is this is the only dealer that will give me a loaner. No other dealers in the area will provide a loaner if I didn't buy it from them. Guess I wait till it explodes now and leaves me stranded.

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
My 18 Sahara with the Dana 44/anti spin diff/select trac was just at the dealer for this exact knocking noise. It is fairly faint at this point but it can be heard consistently. The dealer decided to pull the "unable to reproduce" card. I went this morning and took it out with the service manager. I immediately pointed out the noise. He said "I don't hear anything unusual". Told him that Jeep is specifically looking to collect data on this issue as people are reporting defective rear diffs on this configuration and I have a case open. He shrugged and said "ehh I don't hear anything unusual". He even had the balls to close out the service ticket before I even got there. as we pulled up back to the dealer he handed me the paper and sent me on my way. They clearly had no intention of looking into this. Worst part is this is the only dealer that will give me a loaner. No other dealers in the area will provide a loaner if I didn't buy it from them. Guess I wait till it explodes now and leaves me stranded.
You need to find a new dealership to work with asap! Mine acknowledges there is as problem, but no solution at this point. They will keep throwing new rear ends in my jeep until a solution is available

abutterman1

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
You need to find a new dealership to work with asap! Mine acknowledges there is as problem, but no solution at this point. They will keep throwing new rear ends in my jeep until a solution is available
Just got a call from Jeep. They're authorizing a reimbursement for a rental if I go to another dealer. Going on July 8th and they're going to call ahead to make sure that the dealer understands what needs to be done. They're also making sure they understand that the revised track bar and any other revised parts need to be replaced for my loose steering issue which this guy also tried to play off as a non issue. The guy was totally clueless. I told him I had the STAR case number referencing what needs to be done and he tried to tell me it's for the JK. Completely refused to even look at the article. I actually checked my dash cam footage which is motion activated and they never even so much as put it on the lift to make sure everything looks ok and is torqued down properly per the article.

campbellchris4

First Name
Chris Campbell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL unlimited sport
Just got a call from Jeep. They're authorizing a reimbursement for a rental if I go to another dealer. Going on July 8th and they're going to call ahead to make sure that the dealer understands what needs to be done. They're also making sure they understand that the revised track bar and any other revised parts need to be replaced for my loose steering issue which this guy also tried to play off as a non issue. The guy was totally clueless. I told him I had the STAR case number referencing what needs to be done and he tried to tell me it's for the JK. Completely refused to even look at the article. I actually checked my dash cam footage which is motion activated and they never even so much as put it on the lift to make sure everything looks ok and is torqued down properly per the article.
Good for you! If you don't mind me asking, what dash cam do you have?

Sponsored

Cannons_MOAB

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL MOAB
Vehicle Showcase
Going to pick up my MOAB after a week at the dealer with the issue reported on here. My noise has gotten worse over time, so I took it in a week or so ago. All they did was replace the pinion gear. They say the noise is gone but I'm very cautious with seeing others on this forum state they needed pinion gears and new axles replaced for the noise to go away. We shall see. Fingers crossed! I miss my Jeep

abutterman1

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Anyone else notice the noise go away as it gets hotter outside? It’s around 90 or so now. Couldn’t hear it at all yesterday afternoon and today. Makes me think it might be the bearing getting caught up when it’s cooler out.

Kelowna

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I was just thinking mine was getting louder as the temperature was rising. Mine is noisy at any speed now. They say till it breaks they have no idea where it's from.

Jclark13185

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Following this thread as my 2018 sport s is now making this same type of rotational knocking at low speeds. It was so prominent today it literally sounded like a flat tire thumping! Then the rest of my drive it wasn't near as loud but still there. I have contacted a dealer in my area to set up an appointment. I'm also seeking help from @JeepCares. At 22k miles this should not be an issue. Looks like I'll be driving my yj for a while. It's more reliable at this point!
Sponsored