Sponsored

Knock in rear with Dana 44

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Carrier bearings not arriving till NEXT FRIDAY!
Are these third gens using unique carrier bearings?? 'Cause any drivetrain house is gonna have so many D44 parts they're tripping over them.
Sponsored

Eddied118

First Name
Edgardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Occupation
U.S. Army
Are these third gens using unique carrier bearings?? 'Cause any drivetrain house is gonna have so many D44 parts they're tripping over them.
The carrier bearings are different on these than the JK. I don’t know the exact size but I do know that the left side bearing is bigger than the right. Probably Fiat’s idea.

Eddied118

First Name
Edgardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Occupation
U.S. Army
So I was watching a [Banned Site] video were Eddie was at Dynatrac getting a ProRock 44 made and installed on his JLUR. If you click the video below and skip to 27:40, they show the outer pinnion bearing. These ball bearing style bearings are weaker than the roller style. Maybe this is why were having rear end issues. I know on my JL one of the pinnion bearings exploded and sent metal shavings everywhere.... I'm guessing it was the outer pinnion bearing.

You can see the bearings in the video around 27:40.

Eddied118

First Name
Edgardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Occupation
U.S. Army
Finally got my Jeep back, and she’s fixed. So for me the fix was having carrier and pinion bearings, spider gears and axle shafts with bearings replaced. Also the ring and pinion replaced.

A1B074DD-32DC-47C0-A3F1-F62A81003284.jpeg

Mojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Holy Crap! People have no idea what kind of expense their in for in the future with this issue. Crappy parts that fail, they need to recall while they are in this for 2 years now but they won’t.
Word needs to get out about this to everyone that owns a 2019-2019 Wrangler!!!

Sponsored

campbellchris4

First Name
Chris Campbell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL unlimited sport
Holy Crap! People have no idea what kind of expense their in for in the future with this issue. Crappy parts that fail, they need to recall while they are in this for 2 years now but they won’t.
Word needs to get out about this to everyone that owns a 2019-2019 Wrangler!!!

Didn’t you go get a minivan truck? You must still be having jeep cravings to be following this still.

trurob777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Hi All,

I picked up my Jeep from the dealer yesterday. So far so good. I have not heard the noise.

Here is what they did to it:
182685-dc5af2fadfb69d5e233864cad8d5277f.jpg

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
WTF? "Worn splines"??

HTH does that even happen?

If true sounds like poor machining/poor QC to me.

Plenty of axles go 400k miles without "spline wear", or at least not enough to ever be even thought about or cause even a hint of a problem. Oftentimes a broken shaft can TWIST at the splines but that's very different.

trurob777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
WTF? "Worn splines"??

HTH does that even happen?

If true sounds like poor machining/poor QC to me.

Plenty of axles go 400k miles without "spline wear", or at least not enough to ever be even thought about or cause even a hint of a problem. Oftentimes a broken shaft can TWIST at the splines but that's very different.
Yeah, definitely sounds abnormal. I noticed the carrier assembly part ends with AB vs AA. I wonder if there was a revision to the original.

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport s 1999 Cherokee Sport
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I have a sport s with d44 non limited slip. I'm coming up on a year of ownership and I've had the clunky rear since I first got it.

Sponsored

campbellchris4

First Name
Chris Campbell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL unlimited sport
I have a sport s with d44 non limited slip. I'm coming up on a year of ownership and I've had the clunky rear since I first got it.
I'd take it in. It's more than likely a bearing problem. I'd start a star case first so they can escalate it with the dealer.

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I'd take it in. It's more than likely a bearing problem. I'd start a star case first so they can escalate it with the dealer.
Is that through Jeep cares? I leave for Mexico in 5 weeks for work and I'm in South Carolina till then. I live in Ohio and will only have two days home for the rest of the year. I don't think I can get it figured out in that amount of time unless I get someone to take it in for me. This is something I'd like to get taken care of immediately.

campbellchris4

First Name
Chris Campbell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL unlimited sport
Is that through Jeep cares? I leave for Mexico in 5 weeks for work and I'm in South Carolina till then. I live in Ohio and will only have two days home for the rest of the year. I don't think I can get it figured out in that amount of time unless I get someone to take it in for me. This is something I'd like to get taken care of immediately.
Yes. It's through Jeep Cares. They will most likely have your car for a while if it's an axle issue. Mine was in for a month.

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Yes. It's through Jeep Cares. They will most likely have your car for a while if it's an axle issue. Mine was in for a month.
Ok thanks for the info. That’d be perfect to come home to it all fixed :like:

Djzjeep22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU; 2021 JLUR
Is the clunking noise a consistent knock, or is it only when pressing on and/or releasing the gas in that speed range? I do get a knocking noise if I'm lightly accelerating in that range and quickly let off the gas pedal. It's not a constant/consistent clunk while the wheels and drive shaft are rotating, only at that instant when letting off the gas. Is that the same issue you have had, or is/was yours constant? Thanks!
I get the same - it seems that the clunking sound occurs when hitting the gas when the transmission is searching between 2nd and 3rd. You want to accelerate but the trans is in the middle of a downshift. Sorry if my terminology is not quite spot on - but I don't get a constant clunking at low speeds - only when accelerating. I also can hear when coming to a stop a louder than normal sound as the trans downshifts to 1st.

Wondering if this is the same problem as described in this thread, an early indicator of trouble, or just normal . I have a 19 Sahara JL with Dana LSD on an automatic. Thanks for your help and advice!
Sponsored