Knock in rear with Dana 44

Rogue321

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Dealer replaced my entire diff assembly. It has seemingly fixed both the rotational knock and the clunking noise from take off that I had.

Looking at the repair order, I only saw that 2 quarts of gear oil was used, but no limited slip additive. The RO that was shown earlier by FourthandLong5 has two part numbers for lubricant. I looked up both and one is a limited slip additive. That part number is not on my RO.

Should there be?

EDIT: I just looked in the owners manual. Sure enough, it says it requires a friction modifier additive.
Sponsored

Last edited:

huntb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS, 22 WL 4xe
Dealer replaced my entire diff assembly. It has seemingly fixed both the rotational knock and the clunking noise from take off that I had.

Looking at the repair order, I only saw that 2 quarts of gear oil was used, but no limited slip additive. The RO that was shown earlier by FourthandLong5 has two part numbers for lubricant. I looked up both and one is a limited slip additive. That part number is not on my RO.

Should there be?

EDIT: I just looked in the owners manual. Sure enough, it says it requires a friction modifier additive.
My dealer also forgot the friction modifier which caused the clutch pack to drag when cornering. I took it back in and they added it and fixed the dragging

Sporticon

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Just adding in my experience: 2018 JLU Sport Dana 44 LSD, 37k miles (convenient, not that it matters since this is a powertrain issue). Rotational knocking from rear end at low speed during deceleration (best heard at 10-12 MPH). Here are some videos I took before taking it into the dealer:

Rear diff fluid, dark black with metal chunks:

GoPro video of the noise:

Took it into the dealer yesterday 12/20/21. Today 12/21/21 the service advisor calls and says they are replacing the "front AND rear differentials". He wasn't able to explain why. Not sure exactly what they are actually replacing but I will wait for the RO. Parts were ordered and should be done by 12/23/21. I will post an update when I get the Jeep back...

Last edited:

Sporticon

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Just adding in my experience: 2018 JLU Sport Dana 44 LSD, 37k miles (convenient, not that it matters since this is a powertrain issue). Rotational knocking from rear end at low speed during deceleration (best heard at 10-12 MPH). Here are some videos I took before taking it into the dealer:

Took it into the dealer yesterday 12/20/21. Today 12/21/21 the service advisor calls and says they are replacing the "front AND rear differentials". He wasn't able to explain why. Not sure exactly what they are actually replacing but I will wait for the RO. Parts were ordered and should be done by 12/23/21. I will post an update when I get the Jeep back...
Update: They are indeed replacing the entire front AND rear axle assemblies. I have no idea why they are replacing the front, but I'm not complaining. The new rear axle is PN 68401151AD which is the revised part number - that is good.

Rider4Life01

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Hello fellas, add me to to the list of faulty LSDs.. 2020 Willys Addition.. noticed back in the summer but refused to go without my jeep so I drove it. Going in to set up an appointment tomorrow..

My question is... should I put stock wheels back on to avoid a fight over warranty issues? The noise first started while I was completely stock but since then I've added a 2.5" lift and 35s. it's more noticable on large wheels but still hear it occasionally with factory tires...

Sponsored

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Well just kicked over 39000 miles and rear Limited Slip failed again - almost 20000 miles since the first failure. Appointment set for next Tuesday to see what they say. NOT impressed with Dana axles!!! @JeepCares sending a PM for assistance.

Kbo

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
New to the forum and to Jeep ownership, but noticed the same noise in my 2018 JLU Sahara. I have a Dana 44 rear. Took mine to the dealer to do a used car inspection, listed that as an issue. Tech came back and said his wife's does the exact same thing and its the brakes, somehow clunking around at low speeds. Also said FCA is aware of this and is 'looking into it'. Not exactly buying that explanation. @JeepCares FCA needs to do something about this problem across the board.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
New to the forum and to Jeep ownership, but noticed the same noise in my 2018 JLU Sahara. I have a Dana 44 rear. Took mine to the dealer to do a used car inspection, listed that as an issue. Tech came back and said his wife's does the exact same thing and its the brakes, somehow clunking around at low speeds. Also said FCA is aware of this and is 'looking into it'. Not exactly buying that explanation. @JeepCares FCA needs to do something about this problem across the board.
Willing to bet it’s NOT the brakes. How many miles?

Last edited:

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Glad. Mojave, 16 JKU Sahara, 20 Supra
Anyone knows if the 2021 models also have this issue?
Any Jeep with the Trak Lok unit IMO has a high probability of having this failure. 2021 still offers these. Jeep has been offering this LSD going back nearly 10 years if not more and they haven't dealt with this issue yet. Doubt they will. I have no idea why they continue to install these.

Sponsored

Kbo

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Willing to bet it’s NOT the brakes. How many miles?
Agreed. Would have no idea what within the brakes could be loose enough to make a consistent clunk/thump type sound and not be significantly malfunctioning... Its got some miles...75k... but let me say this, put it next to a new one... and you'd be hard pressed to tell me which one is new. I've had this checked a couple times thoroughly and not a single thing wrong with it... except that noise.

Rider4Life01

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Here is my personal update: Dropped my 2020 Willys off Monday Morning, metal shavings found in rear diff from clutch packs... Garage orders new rear diff part number 68401151AA... I told that "AD" was the new one but their parts department swore that AD was for the 2doors. Well 4 days later they call me today and say it's fixed and to come pick it up.. When I get there the girl tells me I was right and that they were sent the Rear diff part number 68401151AD. So 4 days later I have my jeep, I'm now re-installing my 35s and gonna give it a test drive later. I hope this helps anyone else having this issue.

Snakeman1992

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 willys
Okay guys so dreaded clunk showed up… decided to change the rear diff fluid out.. 2021 Willy’s with 15k… was black but not horrible. Normal wear and tear. Fill it back up with valvoline 75w90 knock is still there.. I said damn.. dealer time ( lifted on 34s will probably void my warranty).. decided to try on last thing.. take my 1 3/4 wheel spacers off… no more clunk after taking them off… they’ve been on the entire time of the vehicle. Clunk started a couple months ago when it got cold.

C24F44C1-69B0-4EAA-BDA4-4BE9F3D4CDC6.jpeg

Sporticon

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Okay guys so dreaded clunk showed up… decided to change the rear diff fluid out.. 2021 Willy’s with 15k… was black but not horrible. Normal wear and tear. Fill it back up with valvoline 75w90 knock is still there.. I said damn.. dealer time ( lifted on 34s will probably void my warranty).. decided to try on last thing.. take my 1 3/4 wheel spacers off… no more clunk after taking them off… they’ve been on the entire time of the vehicle. Clunk started a couple months ago when it got cold.
I have rubicon take off BFGs, a 3.5” lift and 1.75” spacers and my dealer still replaced my axle assembly. I also tried removing my spacers and the clunk was quieter but I could still barely hear it. The spacers just make the noise more apparent, but the fault is still there. I put the spacers back on and took it in. Jeep knows this is an issue so they shouldn’t blame the spacers, unless you have a specifically bad dealer…
[/QUOTE]

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
curious; have you been using the friction modifier that's recommended? our manuals say:
"Models equipped with Trac-Lok Limited Slip Differential require a friction modifier additive."

moreover, not sure which Valvoline 75W-90 lube you used, but i didn't find any (of the 3) that are listed as suitable for limited slip applications.
ex:
https://www.sclegacy.valvoline.com/...ission-and-driveline/valvoline-syngear-75w-90

try putting the right lube (and/or modifier) in there and see if you still have a problem.
personally, i use Red Line lube, which doesn't require a friction modifier, and my LSD is faultless so far.

C24F44C1-69B0-4EAA-BDA4-4BE9F3D4CDC6.jpeg
Sponsored