KNOCK IN REAR WITH 44 DANA..BEWARE!!!

4LowPhoto

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Did you get a dealer to fix under warranty or do these jeepcare people help?
It's the Limited slip and carrier, I needed Jeep Cares help and Mines at dealer now for repair. Took to several dealers and got lots of push back. Currently it's been at the one fixing it for 10 days, but they gave me another JL through Jeep cares as well.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Keeping this alive.
They have NOT fixed the known problem and are more than willing to let their customers pay for the repair when out of Warranty. They prove this by NOT recalling the 2018-2019 and now the 2020’s.
Do not purchase a Wrangler until the problem is corrected!!!
Come on..fix your mess!!!

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Is this the LSD? Can all JL’s with LSD eventually expect this problem or is it just bad quality control on a small batch of Jeeps? I have the Dana M220 rear axle on my 2020 Willys.

OP
OP

Mojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
It is NOT just a small batch.
2018-present time 2020’s. They have not updated the problematic parts. They are ignoring the problem in hopes the customer makes the costly repair out of Warranty!
Good Ole “Collect from the customer, they’ll follow along like sheep!!”

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I swapped my front and crippled D44 LS rear axle with Rubicon takeoffs. Since I now "owned" the rear axle, I popped the cover and drained the lube. Didn't find any metal particles to speak of and the the ring and pinion seemed fine with a good back lash. The slop was in the side and spider gears. The interesting thing was the side gears were very sloppy on the axle shafts, the passenger side was the worst. I thought it was strange that there had been reports of dealers replacing axle shafts, but it kind of makes sense now.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Ya think they would fix this!!

mreloc

First Name
ME
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Altitude; VWGTI
Is this the LSD? Can all JL’s with LSD eventually expect this problem or is it just bad quality control on a small batch of Jeeps? I have the Dana M220 rear axle on my 2020 Willys.
The M220 is the same as the Dana 44 from what I've read. So, yours (and mine) would be included.

OP
OP

Mojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
They supposedly made it bigger and stronger for the 2018 JL.
Instead they made a problem and are sticking the public with it without a proper repair.

come on ! Fix your CRAP!!!

LEO95

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Jeep Wrangler Jk hardtop
I just dropped off my 2018 Rubicon JLU at the dealer for the same issue. I am stock except for bumpers and rock sliders. I’ve been trying to diagnose it myself. It is NOT the tires according to Les Schwab. It is coming from the back of the vehicles. It starts off as a thumping noise coinciding with vehicle speed. At freeway speed it becomes a harmonic noise. That I believe is a driveshaft or axle issue. It does it in neutral as well. We’ll see what the dealer says.

In addition, my electronic throttle control warning light came on as well as the auto start stop light. The coolant temp does not read on the dash, stays at cold while the off road pages app says the temp is 419 degrees F and the electric fan stays on constantly. The engine is not even warm.

They are also doing the steering dampener recall.

Oh, the joys of owning an American made car.

I wish Toyota made something that even came close capability wise. :whew:

QUOTE="Mojito, post: 817385, member: 25865"]BE AWARE YOUR AND PROTECT YOUR $$$$$

Thread... KNOCK IN DANA 44

Go to the issues, repairs, Warranty forum section to see what is happening..NOT HAPPENING with your 2018-2019’s.
You most likely have the same problems as others are having and they are doing NOTHING about your Knocking Rear/Front ends.
Very expensive repairs are coming your way if they don’t get this issue straightened out. 2020’s are coming out with zero fixes to their known problems!!!

Get them fixed while you are still under Warranty, check to see if your vehicle does it...if so, get it fixed NOW!!!
They are calling this normal when it’s been proven it is not!!![/QUOTE]

LEO95

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update:
Service ordered a sensor for the electrical problem.

Service guy said the thumping noise was just my trailer hitch!

I demanded the tech go on a test ride with me. The tech apologized and was able to duplicate my concerns and identified it as a driveline issue. They will trouble shoot further on Wednesday when my sensor comes in. I will keep you all updated. My jeep has 26000 miles on it.

QUOTE="LEO95, post: 1011237, member: 14128"]I just dropped off my 2018 Rubicon JLU at the dealer for the same issue. I am stock except for bumpers and rock sliders. I’ve been trying to diagnose it myself. It is NOT the tires according to Les Schwab. It is coming from the back of the vehicles. It starts off as a thumping noise coinciding with vehicle speed. At freeway speed it becomes a harmonic noise. That I believe is a driveshaft or axle issue. It does it in neutral as well. We’ll see what the dealer says.

In addition, my electronic throttle control warning light came on as well as the auto start stop light. The coolant temp does not read on the dash, stays at cold while the off road pages app says the temp is 419 degrees F and the electric fan stays on constantly. The engine is not even warm.

QUOTE="Mojito, post: 817385, member: 25865"]BE AWARE YOUR AND PROTECT YOUR $$$$$

Go to the issues, repairs, Warranty forum section to see what is happening..NOT HAPPENING with your 2018-2019’s.
You most likely have the same problems as others are having and they are doing NOTHING about your Knocking Rear/Front ends.
Very expensive repairs are coming your way if they don’t get this issue straightened out. 2020’s are coming out with zero fixes to their known problems!!!

Get them fixed while you are still under Warranty, check to see if your vehicle does it...if so, get it fixed NOW!!!
They are calling this normal when it’s been proven it is not!!![/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
I just dropped off my 2018 Rubicon JLU at the dealer for the same issue. I am stock except for bumpers and rock sliders. I’ve been trying to diagnose it myself. It is NOT the tires according to Les Schwab. It is coming from the back of the vehicles. It starts off as a thumping noise coinciding with vehicle speed. At freeway speed it becomes a harmonic noise. That I believe is a driveshaft or axle issue. It does it in neutral as well. We’ll see what the dealer says.

They are calling this normal when it’s been proven it is not!!!
[/QUOTE]

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

They are calling this normal when it’s been proven it is not!!!
[/QUOTE]

Hey, LEO95. Please let us know how things go at the dealer and whether they are able to repair your concerns. If you'd like any assistance from our team, please send us a private message.

Kate
JeepCares

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Would this not be covered under the 5/60 powertrain warranty? Its shitty there is not at least a TSB for this yet. But if its covered under the powertrain it gives people a bit more time for the problem to come up under warranty. I would think if there is no issue in 5 years your rear will probably be fine. Most seem to be making noise fairly early on that I have read.

LEO95

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The dealer correctly diagnosed a bad sensor which will repair the electrical issues with the electronic throttle control, start stop and the engine temp malfunction.

however, the tech said the rear end noise was my trailer hitch vibrating. I demanded he take a test ride with me. After doing that, he apologized and said he could now hear the noise.

the man behind the counter in service said my vehicle was safe to drive and that I could come back in 6 days to have the sensor repair made when the part was in and have my driveline noise further investigated. I told him I did not think the vehicle was safe to drive. He said it was. He said there were no more rental cars available anyway because it was Friday. This was a horrible experience! I lost faith in this service department.

I drove to another Jeep dealer 40 miles away in Walnut Creek Ca the next day on the off chance they would have the sensor in stock. They literally rolled out the red carpet and apologized for how I was treated at the dealership in my home town. The tech told me my Jeep was not safe to drive with the electrical condition as the computer was not able to regulate throttle control because it could not read the correct engine temp because of the bad sensor.

the new tech went on a test ride and said he could hear the driveline thumping and could also feel it.

the service staff was awesome and got me a rental car for 5 days and kept my Jeep.

I have had several updates from this dealer. The dealer ordered me a new rear differential axle assembly and a new coolant temp sensor. I should be getting my jeep back tomorrow.

I am not happy about the mechanical problems with my jeep but I am very happy with the extraordinary Walnut Creek Jeep Stead Motors service department, especially Elvira and my tech.

I am very unhappy with the first jeep dealer who lied to me about my car being safe to drive. They also lied and said my warranty only allowed for a one day rental car! I am very unhappy and offended that the first dealer insulted me (an aircraft mechanic) and told me that my driveline noise was just my trailer hitch.

seems like a non-mechanically inclined Jeep owner with the same problem would be up a creek without a paddle.

I still love my Jeep!

Hey, LEO95. Please let us know how things go at the dealer and whether they are able to repair your concerns. If you'd like any assistance from our team, please send us a private message.

Kate
JeepCares[/QUOTE]

LEO95

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, it’s covered under the power train warranty. My tech spoke with the engineers at Jeep. I jacked up my vehicle and made a video of the problem before I went to the second dealer. There was a lot of slop when I rotated the tire back and forth and also a loud thumping noise. I think it may be something with how the floating axle and housing mate up???

QUOTE="BrntWS6, post: 1014060, member: 27687"]Would this not be covered under the 5/60 powertrain warranty? Its shitty there is not at least a TSB for this yet. But if its covered under the powertrain it gives people a bit more time for the problem to come up under warranty. I would think if there is no issue in 5 years your rear will probably be fine. Most seem to be making noise fairly early on that I have read.[/QUOTE]
Would this not be covered under the 5/60 powertrain warranty? Its shitty there is not at least a TSB for this yet. But if its covered under the powertrain it gives people a bit more time for the problem to come up under warranty. I would think if there is no issue in 5 years your rear will probably be fine. Most seem to be making noise fairly early on that I have read.

DogDay

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2.0T
This is the sound I'm hearing: https://imgur.com/sPDweSe (I titled it 2018, but it's actually a 2019)

It's very prominent when I'm backing out of the driveway, but also is noticeable while moving forward.
I also believe I can hear it as I'm rolling down the road at normal speeds, but it's more ambient at that point. Likely due to the increased rotations.
The sound doesn't appear to emanate from the differential, but rather the right-rear axle bearing area.
Sponsored