Puckn19

First Name
Quentin Corbett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
This is the sound I'm hearing: https://imgur.com/sPDweSe (I titled it 2018, but it's actually a 2019)

It's very prominent when I'm backing out of the driveway, but also is noticeable while moving forward.
I also believe I can hear it as I'm rolling down the road at normal speeds, but it's more ambient at that point. Likely due to the increased rotations.
The sound doesn't appear to emanate from the differential, but rather the right-rear axle bearing area.
I have a similar sound, only time I can hear it is a low speeds. Mine has been re-geared and the sound is still there. Everything in the diff looked fine as well as the axle shafts. The shop that did the work for me has an 18 with a 44 LSD that had to be replaced by jeep. The shop pulled one of the axles to take a look and could see burnt oil and clutch material all over the shaft. They put it back together and took it back to jeep. Jeep went round and round with them for 3 months with a bunch of BS stories. Tried to blame it on the tires and lift. Went as far as removing the lift and tires to see if the sound would go away. They finally pulled the diff cover to see that the oil was full of junk. Entire rear axle was replaced but within the first 1000 miles the noise came back but then went away.
Sponsored

DogDay

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2.0T
I have a similar sound, only time I can hear it is a low speeds. Mine has been re-geared and the sound is still there. Everything in the diff looked fine as well as the axle shafts. The shop that did the work for me has an 18 with a 44 LSD that had to be replaced by jeep. The shop pulled one of the axles to take a look and could see burnt oil and clutch material all over the shaft. They put it back together and took it back to jeep. Jeep went round and round with them for 3 months with a bunch of BS stories. Tried to blame it on the tires and lift. Went as far as removing the lift and tires to see if the sound would go away. They finally pulled the diff cover to see that the oil was full of junk. Entire rear axle was replaced but within the first 1000 miles the noise came back but then went away.
My dealer actually replaced the entire axle assembly and right rear shaft, and I am still hearing the sound.

1 68401895AA AXLE-SERVICE REAR
1 68401892AA SHAFT-AXLE REAR

https://www.moparwholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-axle-assembly-68401895aa
https://www.moparwholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-axle-shaft-68401892aa

Puckn19

First Name
Quentin Corbett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

DogDay

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did they actually find any damage or where they just replacing parts to see if the noise goes away?
Their first response was "bad spot on one of the spider gears” and the rear differential was being replaced. Was told the "axle" was on sight, but now they are waiting on a bearing.

So that was all confusing, but in order to get the bearing (we had been waiting for it for two weeks already), they just overnighted "an entire axle", whatever they may be. The part numbers are listed above.

They never showed me any bad parts, but it sounds like the spider gears were bad and I supposed something else was wrong with the right rear axle bearing.

Puckn19

First Name
Quentin Corbett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Their first response was "bad spot on one of the spider gears” and the rear differential was being replaced. Was told the "axle" was on sight, but now they are waiting on a bearing.

So that was all confusing, but in order to get the bearing (we had been waiting for it for two weeks already), they just overnighted "an entire axle", whatever they may be. The part numbers are listed above.

They never showed me any bad parts, but it sounds like the spider gears were bad and I supposed something else was wrong with the right rear axle bearing.
Thanks for the info, will be interesting to see if this turns into a recall.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Well, drove another just built 2020 Rubicon with the no fix same front and rear end issues. Start out then brake and there is a “CLUNK!!” so much slop in that rear it isn’t funny. Took a 2nd Rubicon out (1st one a 4 door 2nd one a 2 door) SAME THING!!! They told me “This is NOT normal and that the manufacturers were turning a blind eye at a fix straight from the factory”. How do you like that?
Took both back to the dealers Service Department and they put three of their best mechanics on both vehicles. Right off the bat one of them told me this is an issue that they are ignoring and that they need to address the issue because they’ve been repairing vehicles on the customers own money in some cases by not warranting it. He told me he knew that was wrong but “Hey, I just work here and it pays my bills” is what he said!!

They all three agreed that there were known issues with the rear ends and some fronts but the manufactures are doing nothing about it. Both test drive jeeps went back out on the lot and they said they wouldn’t start to tear them down until someone bought them stating that “We can tear these things down for the next 3 years if we have to” I laughed and said yes $60,000+ later the new owners aren’t going be too happy. They just shrugged their shoulders.
2020’s have the known issues and they don’t care even when their own mechanics tell them over and over.
Continue to BEWARE and get your’s if you already have one of these pieces of over rated over priced crap documented now while still under Warranty.
I love them but want to get what I pay for right out of the box and a caring company that stands behind their product not just after their own gain.
Come on!!

TROYXTROY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubi
My rear diff definitely has issues. Low speed stop/go clunk. 2020 2dr rubi build date 12/2019
I’ll have to bring it in at some point, but I’d rather get teeth pulled...

OP
OP

Mojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
My rear diff definitely has issues. Low speed stop/go clunk. 2020 2dr rubi build date 12/2019
I’ll have to bring it in at some point, but I’d rather get teeth pulled...

I hear ya but it’s going to be like giving up a arm of that bill becomes your nightmare! Get it in...

DogDay

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info, will be interesting to see if this turns into a recall.
I think I posted elsewhere here about this, but they put my JL on the rack and another new JL on the rack and both had the same noise when you rolled the wheels.

Ultimately Jeep Customer Care ended extending my drivetrain warranty by another 25k miles for my inconvenience. Which to me really seems like an admission of guilt.

Puckn19

First Name
Quentin Corbett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think I posted elsewhere here about this, but they put my JL on the rack and another new JL on the rack and both had the same noise when you rolled the wheels.

Ultimately Jeep Customer Care ended extending my drivetrain warranty by another 25k miles for my inconvenience. Which to me really seems like an admission of guilt.
Well if mine goes out I will replace them with different axles. Not much I can do since I have already re-geared and I'm not paying to have them replace the issue with another issue. Fingers crossed, everything has been ok other than the noise. Just need to make sure to keep an eye on the oil.

Sponsored

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Well I think mine has this issue now :( When I slow to a stop I hear a loud clunk I believe is coming from the rear, can’t be sure. Doesn’t happen every time I slow down just every so often. I have a 2020 Willys. I really wish I got the Sport S without the LSD. I need to take it in for my 5000 oil change so I’ll have them take a look at it then. Ugh. :mad:

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Well I think mine has this issue now :( When I slow to a stop I hear a loud clunk I believe is coming from the rear, can’t be sure. Doesn’t happen every time I slow down just every so often. I have a 2020 Willys. I really wish I got the Sport S without the LSD. I need to take it in for my 5000 oil change so I’ll have them take a look at it then. Ugh. :mad:
We sincerely regret to hear about this, Jennalee. If you need any additional assistance while working with your dealer, please send our team a private message.
Alex
Jeep Cares

Valkyrie

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 2 Door
Mine has the same issue and I've been dealing with @JeepCares and the dealership for over a month and mine still isn't fixed. Mine has been sitting in my driveway close to 3 weeks. I was told part is on 'Intergalactic Backorder' and to just take my Jeep home. I'm like WTF!!! For the amount I paid for this vehicle and you can't or won't fix it, can't or won't give me a loaner and now I make payments on something that I can't drive. Having a Case opened hasn't helped either. I have a case open with them 3 weeks now and every time I complain they just tell me...

I apologize for the delays that you have been experiencing, Tony. I can assure you that your case manager is working diligently on your behalf. I have added this message to your case as well for your case manager to review.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

I'm so done with this BS!!! I've filed a complaint at this website, https://www.usa.gov/car-complaints and at this one, https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

I'm considering talking to an Attorney about a class action, since so many ppl seem to have this problem and Jeep isn't addressing it. I bought this damn Jeep to drive and not to sit in my driveway looking pretty. Why in the hell would anyone want to make payments on a vehicle to look at? Jeep has been side stepping this issue way to long. I've complained to the dealer, Jeep, FCA, JeepCares, forums, groups, even on Jeeps FB page and my damn Jeep is still broken. So for all of those that think Jeep is going to help... Let me just say... Jeep is going to f*ck you!!!

EMpunker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon V6
This is the sound I'm hearing: (I titled it 2018, but it's actually a 2019)

It's very prominent when I'm backing out of the driveway, but also is noticeable while moving forward.
I also believe I can hear it as I'm rolling down the road at normal speeds, but it's more ambient at that point. Likely due to the increased rotations.
The sound doesn't appear to emanate from the differential, but rather the right-rear axle bearing area.
I have a similar knocking noise from the rear passenger area. I've only heard it when reversing at low speeds. I wonder if mine is affected as well... stock 2018 JLU Sahara

jeep-v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0T
Many Rubicon owners (with Rubicon in signature) referring to LSD axles. I thought Rubicon has Tru-Lock axles. Or it is an option? Does this issue applies to the Tru-Lock axles?

I can hear a small clunk inside the differential when turning drive shaft left-right by hand. I can hear it sometimes when gear changes at low speeds, but nothing constant or prolonged noise.

I tried to do the same on Expedition 2003 - no movements at all, just like it is froze solid.
Sponsored

Last edited: