Sponsored

KMC Machete Crawl Beadlock on a daily driven sport....ok or disaster waiting to happen?

Yondu_JLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I absolutely love these wheels: I don't mind the maintenance, I won't be doing any hardcore off-roading, just light to moderate trails, and I love the stance ....but I'm concerned about the weight/stress on the Dana 30. I'm already running around 100 pounds worth of wheel and tire on all four corners....This set up will bring it up to around 120 on the trail graps.......should I wait until I upgrade the axle or go with a lighter tire? Or just avoid this set-up all together right now?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Yondu_JLU

Yondu_JLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I absolutely love these wheels: I don't mind the maintenance, I won't be doing any hardcore off-roading, just light to moderate trails, and I love the stance ....but I'm concerned about the weight/stress on the Dana 30. I'm already running around 100 pounds worth of wheel and tire on all four corners....This set up will bring it up to around 120 on the trail graps.......should I wait until I upgrade the axle or go with a lighter tire? Or just avoid this set-up all together right now?
Bump

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
first off, you need to check the local laws as to running beadlocks. most states ban them on the streets.

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2012 JKU Sahara
first off, you need to check the local laws as to running beadlocks. most states ban them on the streets.
No inspection in GA so not likely to ever be checked.

Sponsored

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

You'll be fine.

OP
OP
Yondu_JLU

Yondu_JLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To quote the below, GA doesn’t check or at least enforce any kind of restriction pertaining to bead locks.

OP
OP
Yondu_JLU

Yondu_JLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tire size? wheel size?
35” Trail Grapp, 17x9 -38mm. Bad idea on a 30 or ok for DD and moderate wheeling? Will be upgrading axles in the future.

OP
OP
Yondu_JLU

Yondu_JLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You'll be fine.
I assume from previous experience? My JL is pretty light and I do plan on upgrading the axles down the line, so I figured it should be ok for light wheeling and daily driving.

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I assume from previous experience? My JL is pretty light and I do plan on upgrading the axles down the line, so I figured it should be ok for light wheeling and daily driving.
My 2012 JKU with D30 front has been on beadlocks and 37s for a while now and wheeled pretty hard.

The weight sucks for gas mileage and might make you desire a brake upgrade but you're not going to hurt the axle.

Sponsored

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
35” Trail Grapp, 17x9 -38mm. Bad idea on a 30 or ok for DD and moderate wheeling? Will be upgrading axles in the future.
I ran 35 inch tires on 17 inch wheels for a couple years with my stock JL Unlimited... granted.. the beadlock wheels are heavier ... but not that much heavier to be an issue... I did wheel a lot with my Dana 30/35 with no issues.. I disassembled the axles before selling them and shafts and gears were in great shape!!.. of course... if you are going to be a careless madman on the trail you are certainly going to damage axles, drivetrain, steering, etc.. :)

OP
OP
Yondu_JLU

Yondu_JLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2012 JKU with D30 front has been on beadlocks and 37s for a while now and wheeled pretty hard.

The weight sucks for gas mileage and might make you desire a brake upgrade but you're not going to hurt the axle.
Good to know. I do plan on replacing the ball joints and probably transitioning to a lighter MT at some point anyways (these Nittos are great, but HEAVY lol), so I can get the weight back down to that 105-110 mark.

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good to know. I do plan on replacing the ball joints and probably transitioning to a lighter MT at some point anyways (these Nittos are great, but HEAVY lol), so I can get the weight back down to that 105-110 mark.
don't forget about the spare tie mount too.

OP
OP
Yondu_JLU

Yondu_JLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ran 35 inch tires on 17 inch wheels for a couple years with my stock JL Unlimited... granted.. the beadlock wheels are heavier ... but not that much heavier to be an issue... I did wheel a lot with my Dana 30/35 with no issues.. I disassembled the axles before selling them and shafts and gears were in great shape!!.. of course... if you are going to be a careless madman on the trail you are certainly going to damage axles, drivetrain, steering, etc.. :)
Yeah I’m pretty careful about my lines when it comes to wheeling....I don’t ever really do any extreme rock crawling and it’s mostly just moderate obstacles/ clay/ ruts around here lol. Only get on the trail every so often since I’m busy during the week with work, so it’ll mostly be shows and pavement driving with easy to moderate wheeling once or twice every month or so.

OP
OP
Yondu_JLU

Yondu_JLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
don't forget about the spare tie mount too.
Yeah I do have the mopar hinge reinforcement atm. Might upgrade to the rugged ridge carrier or a motobilt carrier
Sponsored