Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
More progress over the last couple days:

IMG-3685.jpg

New Morimoto 2Banger pod lights on the cowl and the naming of Achilles. I felt it was finally time to make it official considering Kiwi never had a chance to wear it's name.
After testing the Morimoto pods and being most pleased with the results, I decided to order an additional set of 2Banger's that I'll be stepping up on the bracket to shoot over the existing lights. I HIGHLY recommend them if it's on your list to get pods. They come in a variety of sizes/outputs/and light patterns to fit whatever your goal is. I've seen the equivalent Baja and Diode working at night in the past. These BLOW them both out of the water. There's just no comparison.

Beyond that, I discovered a while back that the stock exhaust was exhibiting signs of early corrosion. Being an Ex-Florida jeep, I wasn't super surprised to see it, but I was a little annoyed. Fortunately it gave me a golden opportunity to try something very few 4xe owners have even considered.

IMG-3684.jpg

(yes, I'm aware of the lower shock bolts. literally going to reverse it as soon as I finish this)

Introducing Achilles new War Cry, courtesy of Pypes exhaust. I wasn't sure what to expect from this 'crawler style' muffler delete, but I figured for $90 it was worth a shot. I did run into some unexpected issues during install, mostly centered around the fact that I have Metalcloak drop spacers installed on the sway bar to supplement the end links. There was ZERO clearance, and the hanger just did not want to seat into the factory bushing. I was able to rectify these issues with a small torch, hammer and a pipe wrench by bending the hanger where it was really needed and pounding out some extra room on the top of the pipe. This worked perfectly as now fits snug without banging into anything. I want to also point out that before this install I went for a 15 minute drive to run some errands, but when I returned to start the job, I put my hand on the muffler to start removing it, quickly retracted it and went looking for my gloves. It was BARELY 50*F outside at this point and that muffler was PIPING hot to the touch. I was lucky I didn't burn myself, but it gives you an idea just how much bull$hit sound insulation material is in the muffler itself just trapping heat and exhaust unnecessarily.

The tone is interesting. It's not ricey or obnoxious at all (something I was REALLY worried about being this is still a 4 cylinder turbo) and the noise it emits doesn't really intrude into the cabin much more than before. I did a couple different runs down a 45mph road mixing windows up and windows down (radio off for both) and varying my throttle inputs between slow accel, floored, cruise, etc. I'd like to hear it drive by me to really sign off on it but so far I'm pretty pleased with my choice. It doesn't drone at all from what I can tell (at least not audibly enough to be obnoxious) and the sound is a very raw/throaty kind of growl even up at redline. It's not peaky or metallic nor is it boomy or clunky (sorry, trying my best to describe without video or sound references).

Simply put, if you're like me and plan on keeping your 4xe, it's worth considering dumping the muffler for the extra clearance. The other freebie with this is you now don't even need to think about getting a skid for the factory muffler. Saves weight, adds clearance, gives a little rumble, doesn't cost a ton; do I need to say more?
Sponsored

JC1973

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
More progress over the last couple days:

Jeep Wrangler JL Kiwi & Achilles: Historical Reference JLUR4xe Build Journal IMG-3684

New Morimoto 2Banger pod lights on the cowl and the naming of Achilles. I felt it was finally time to make it official considering Kiwi never had a chance to wear it's name.
After testing the Morimoto pods and being most pleased with the results, I decided to order an additional set of 2Banger's that I'll be stepping up on the bracket to shoot over the existing lights. I HIGHLY recommend them if it's on your list to get pods. They come in a variety of sizes/outputs/and light patterns to fit whatever your goal is. I've seen the equivalent Baja and Diode working at night in the past. These BLOW them both out of the water. There's just no comparison.

(yes, I'm aware of the lower shock bolts. literally going to reverse it as soon as I finish this)

Great to see this I have been Eyeing the 2Bangers for a while. I love the lower profile of the 2Banger vs 4Banger and similar sized pods. Did you go NCS or HXB? I feel like you need HXB when going Amber in the 2Banger.

OP
OP
DewHawk

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
Great to see this I have been Eyeing the 2Bangers for a while. I love the lower profile of the 2Banger vs 4Banger and similar sized pods. Did you go NCS or HXB? I feel like you need HXB when going Amber in the 2Banger.
To be honest I went with the NCS and itā€™s been plenty of output. I just added two more combo pods on step up brackets to the same mounts in NCS as well and thereā€™s plenty of light. Iā€™m not looking for collapsed sun type of output from my pods, just need enough to throw the light a little wider and further than what my headlights can do and do it in yellow for low visibility use. NCS was plenty for that. HXB wouldā€™ve been overkill for me, but if you need a ton of light, yeah no doubt itā€™s a game changer in the light pod market.

JC1973

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
To be honest I went with the NCS and itā€™s been plenty of output. I just added two more combo pods on step up brackets to the same mounts in NCS as well and thereā€™s plenty of light. Iā€™m not looking for collapsed sun type of output from my pods, just need enough to throw the light a little wider and further than what my headlights can do and do it in yellow for low visibility use. NCS was plenty for that. HXB wouldā€™ve been overkill for me, but if you need a ton of light, yeah no doubt itā€™s a game changer in the light pod market.
[/QUOTE

Thanks for the info. Good to know as I don't really need to light up the town either. Do you happen to have a pic of the additional lights and bracket? Also, did you use the Morimoto
switched harness? Mine are going to go into my AUX

OP
OP
DewHawk

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
@JC1973 Are you using invisible text by chance? šŸ˜…

Sponsored

OP
OP
DewHawk

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
Sorry @JC1973 , been a weird couple of weeks but this update should interest you a little.
Jeep Wrangler JL Kiwi & Achilles: Historical Reference JLUR4xe Build Journal IMG_3789.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Kiwi & Achilles: Historical Reference JLUR4xe Build Journal IMG_3790.JPG

The brackets I used to step up the 2Bangers are meant for an F150. I just bolted them to the cowl mounts. Worked perfectly. Still on the fence about my new vent decals. Not sure if I like 'em or consider them tacky yet.

Iā€™ve been kind of playing around with a few minor things here and there but one change I did make is I threw the stock muffler back on. The ā€˜crawler pipeā€™ charm wore off on me pretty quickly once I started having ECH related issues. For those unfamiliar, the ECH basically supplies heat to the AC system that feeds not only the battery but the cabin as well. Since mine seems to have died and Iā€™m waiting for my service appointment to get it fixed, Achilles has been more or less running around with the ICE engaged about 80% of the time despite having a full battery charge. Itā€™s really given me a traditional Jeep driving experience like a standard 2.0L would, except with a shit load more power on tap all the time. :CWL:

Iā€™m holding off a little bit to make any more meaningful progress on the build until Jeep has a chance to get my transmission leak and the ECH fixed, but I did shoot over to CORE off road in Castle Rock to get my alignment squared away. Unfortunately one of my Metalcloak upper arms doesnā€™t seem to want to mirror the other on caster adjustment. Iā€™m basically running around with 6.2 on the drivers side and 5.8 on the passenger side. Itā€™s not ideal but I canā€™t really do much about it and neither could CORE.

Jeep Wrangler JL Kiwi & Achilles: Historical Reference JLUR4xe Build Journal image

dlong1119

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Sahara 4xe (Billet), 21 Sahara 4xe (StingGray)
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the ECH failure club... both my wife and my Jeep's got the P0e15 code within 4 days of each other a few weeks back. Both 2021 models, mine with ~16k and hers with ~24k. Got them into dealer pretty quick to be evaluated but they said the parts were on national backorder and were expecting it could possibly be a couple of months before they got them in. Surprisingly, they called me on Wednesday and said the parts had shown up (not even 2 weeks wait) and we're scheduled for one of them to go in next week and the other the week after due to the holiday.
Sponsored