2Wheel-Lee

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
Thanks for the info on the steering install setup, Ill let you know how mine goes whenever all the pieces get here.

I have the 3.6 and I definitely felt the difference since adding 37's winch etc. Especially since I live in the high desert and drive mountain road's frequently with high winds, always in 6th gear on the hwy unless there's no wind and flat road.
Oh yeah, gears will definitely make a difference in those conditions! I didn't really get to drive mine much with 37s - only one trip to Ocotillo, so I didn't get that much of a feel for it.

What high desert are you in?
Sponsored

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Palmdale/Lancaster area but work in SFV. Tons of wheeling spots in all directions. Ive had the 37's since June, at first I didn't notice as much but the more you drive the more the ECU adapts and learns to your habit then its always in 6th and just seems slow AF. Last step is FI or V8 swap but got other stuff to do first.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
My OCD is killing me on the King colors....The front bumps were available in black, so I got them. The rears weren't....ugh...blue. I wanted black shocks, and although that may have been possible, it would have been a long wait.

And I have a Fox ATS stabilizer, but it's one for a JK that's all silver with black graphics.

If you're already doing the full service, you're only one step away from changing valve shims!
Radflos would solve that problem - at a lower entry point than Kings...

OP
OP
2Wheel-Lee

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Radflos would solve that problem - at a lower entry point than Kings...
While shocks are a fundamentally basic design, I look for specifications (even basic compressed and extended lengths) as well as the availability of service parts. Radflo appeared to have neither of these. Sure, I may be able to contact them directly and get it, but that's not the kind of service I'm looking for. King specs and service parts are far more readily available.

Both Radflo and King are 20 minutes from my home (EVO is less than 5, but I've only been there to talk with them once).

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Now that you’ve lived with the King bumps for a while, how are you liking them? Are they a nuisance on the street at all? I used to have RE hydro bumps on the front of my JK and they drove me nuts around town, pulling into driveways, etc with the coupling every time they touched the pad.

Sponsored

OP
OP
2Wheel-Lee

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now that you’ve lived with the King bumps for a while, how are you liking them? Are they a nuisance on the street at all? I used to have RE hydro bumps on the front of my JK and they drove me nuts around town, pulling into driveways, etc with the coupling every time they touched the pad.
I know what you're referring to. I've heard it when doing faster sweeper turns on rough dirt roads, but I can't say it's been objectionable on the street or around town. I might hear it once in a while. Of course, it really depends on the suspension setup and ride height from the bump stops, as well as how stiff/soft the suspension allows the bump stop to reach the axle. I've heard this is an issue for some people. Kind of expecting that, I made 1/4" bolt-on rubber pads on the axle where the bump stop contacts. I don't know if it really makes a difference, but it couldn't hurt. At the very least, I'd think it might mute the sound. Again,, though, I only hear the contact under certain conditions, and that's usually only when we're loaded up with the family of 5 and loaded down with our camping gear. Would I do it again? Absolutely! Actually, I just installed a set of Fox hydro bump stops on the front of my Suzuki Samurai. I never bottom out the rear in that, so the rears probably won't get them.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Sweet. Would you mind posting a pic of your rubber bolt on pads?

OP
OP
2Wheel-Lee

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sweet. Would you mind posting a pic of your rubber bolt on pads?
I need to remove that washer, as the bump stop pad is slightly contacting it. I had already remove one on the other side, as there was a little more contact, and it was leaving marks on the bump stop pad.

I should also add for anyone looking to install these, is that there can be very tight clearance between the King mount and the coil spring. When I first took it for a test drive, I heard something hitting, and it was the spring barely hitting the mount, so I had to shave both mounts to get a little more clearance.

Note to self (so I can refer back to this later). The bump stops came at 50 psi, and I seemed to go through the travel a bit easy. Now I'm at 110 psi, and I think it's about right. To check/change the pressure, you need to remove the bump stops, since the valve is at the top. These bump stops also require a special adapter for the valve that I bought from Filthy Motorsports.

Jeep Wrangler JL King Bump Stops for the REAR 20201119_090950
Sponsored