Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I'm in the market for a kinetic rope. Pretty much decided I will go with the Bubba rope 7/8in for my JLR. Just trying to decide on length. 20ft or 30ft. I'm trying to keep my weight and volume to a minimum. Looking for comments from those that have used one more than a couple times. Is 20ft enough? Seems I could always combine it with the recovery strap if needing a longer reach. Is that smart?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HYR8H...colid=31XGZYX9AVZ7D&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1
Sponsored

tegorman

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Moab
No experience yet, but I'm pretty much a professional after watching Matt's Off Road Recovery for the last year and a half! Kidding... but it seems like 20ft is quite a capable length for many situations. 30ft would be better for REALLY stuck, REALLY heavy vehicles or if you need a bit more length to get to more traction area. That said, I have been shopping and leaning towards his rope just to support the channel and he only has a 30ft on his site. But that's me, a no0b to the whole off road thingamahbob.

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
Bro. Just get the 30. I like that people have recovery gear. Too many just rely on others. I personally will not violently pull someone. The winch comes out and if that doesn't work, we'll double with a snatch block. Just my $02 and my experience.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Thanks Zeke. I have a nice recovery strap, a tree saver, snatch block, a couple soft shackles, and a winch. I want to add a kinetic rope for yanking. But as I said, space and weight is a premium in my 2dr. Especially as I tow it behind my Class C RV and I am already at max CGVWR. Super conscience about wanting to be fully outfitted at least amount of weight.

Unless someone can tell me I am better off with a 30ft vs using a 20ft kinetic in combination with my already onboard 30ft recovery strap I will go with the shorter, lighter option.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Drop the 30’ standard strap and replace it with a 30’ Kinetic. Kinetic will do everything the hard strap will do and more :) I personally have a 20’ and it’s done me fine but I wish i had the extra 10’ to play with. You can always shorten the 30’ in half if needed but unless you have a second one line it isn’t gonna grow when needed.

Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
I've got the Bubba 1 ¼” rope in 20 feet and have done over a dozen recoveries in the last year. Sometimes 30 feet is too long. I'm convinced on two of the recoveries a 7/8" would have broken.

One was in deep mud and it was before I had my 12K superwinch. The other was a rollover on a single lane road that trapped 3 jeeps in front of him. We had to move him 15 feet up the hill so we had enough room to flip him over. Using a winch, the recovery vehicle was just dragged with little to no movement of the rollover. 15 or 20 big yanks pulled him up the hill.

BTW, all the guys were saying Aren't you worried you're going to trash your gears, driveline, etc?

But all I did was gun it and when my wheels started spinning I stopped, backed up, and yanked again.

Pic's are old but Bubba is now between the roll bar and the side window. Fit's nicely
Jeep Wrangler JL Kinetic rope? bubbaRope

Kinetic ropes really shine when pulling in tandem. A 7/8 would probably be better for that. For example, when we recovery junked cars for the county and the junker needs to be pulled a half mile or more.

Jeep Wrangler JL Kinetic rope? 2022-12-04 13.49.54

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Matt literally said in a video this week the 30ft rope is the better overall choice, because it's more flexy and can be used multiple times without having to let it rest, unlike the 20.

Get the 30.

Source: Am also an expert in automotive recovery and off road recovery equipment as a result of subscribing to Matt's channel. If I keep watching FabRats I'll be a welder soon too.

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I was assuming the flat strap would be better for winching (less stretching) vs. using a kinetic rope. Again, no experience with kinetic ropes.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Kinetic ropes are good for yanking someone out, not great for towing, (but can work tho).
Tow straps are good for...towing, def not for yanking someone out.

Winch needs its own set of recovery items like you mentioned. Snatch block, etc.

My biggest takeaway from years of watching Matt's OffRoad Recovery channel is that winches RARELY get used. They almost never winch. When they do it's a really complex recovery.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Matt literally said in a video this week the 30ft rope is the better overall choice, because it's more flexy and can be used multiple times without having to let it rest, unlike the 20.

Get the 30.

Source: Am also an expert in automotive recovery and off road recovery equipment as a result of subscribing to Matt's channel. If I keep watching FabRats I'll be a welder soon too.
Get the double sized Bubba 1 ¼” rope and never worry about resting. How often do you anticipate OP will use the rope so the rope needs recovery time? 20 foot Bubba 1 ¼” rope tucks nicely in the back of a JLR.

Matt's channel is awesome except he pulls on a lot of trailer hitches. His snow recovery is comical. I did deep snow recovery for 30 years in MT, UT, WA. Tall pizza cutters fully aired up with chains (and a kinetic chain) does better. Oh, he pulls in reverse which I would never do.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Keep in mind I have a 2dr. I think the 7/8in is plenty at least on my end. Not sure I should be yanking beasts that are 1500lb or more heavier than me anyways.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Get the double sized Bubba 1 ¼” rope and never worry about resting. How often do you anticipate OP will use the rope so the rope needs recovery time? 20 foot Bubba 1 ¼” rope tucks nicely in the back of a JLR.

Matt's channel is awesome except he pulls on a lot of trailer hitches. His snow recovery is comical. I did deep snow recovery for 30 years in MT, UT, WA. Tall pizza cutters fully aired up with chains (and a kinetic chain) does better. Oh, he pulls in reverse which I would never do.
Hell, IDK! My expert knowledge is limited to YouTube videos and using my winch one time to pull out a woman who go too close to the river in a Honda Accord!

I defer to your experience...that big bubba rope sounds awesome.

You can see the anxiety in his face as he's driving to a snow recovery, lol. Totally agree.

Reactions: J0E

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Kinetic ropes are good for yanking someone out, not great for towing, (but can work tho).
Tow straps are good for...towing, def not for yanking someone out.

Winch needs its own set of recovery items like you mentioned. Snatch block, etc.

My biggest takeaway from years of watching Matt's OffRoad Recovery channel is that winches RARELY get used. They almost never winch. When they do it's a really complex recovery.
Have you ever used one in tandem to for towing? You need a very experienced driver in the rig being pulled so they don't run over your rope. They don't jerk like a tow strap.

If I don't trust the driver I'm pulling (like the roll over rig that was inoperable, no power brakes, no PS), I used a strap. In fact for the first mile where there were steep cliffs on both sides I used a 2,000 LB tow strap. If he went over the side my hope was he wouldn't pull me over too. After we got through the dangers section, the strap jerked and broke. I then switched to my 4" strap.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Keep in mind I have a 2dr. I think the 7/8in is plenty at least on my end. Not sure I should be yanking beasts that are 1500lb or more heavier than me anyways.
You're probably fine. Most folks with heavier rigs are fine with 7/8". I have a JLR too but I just wanted extra security.

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I've done some towing and have been towed using straps. The two of us would get together and talk through it so we knew the plan, braking, etc.

I've never truly yanked before. Wanked yes, but not yanked. :LOL:
Sponsored