Sponsored

Keyfob now 30% smaller!

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I have a spare Samsung SmartTag that I've been considering popping open to see if I can more easily attach it to my Roku remote (damn kids...) but this would be a great use for it.

The Samsung SmartTags are more limited in that they're only within Bluetooth range, but could still be useful. I think it can actually sound an alert if it gets too far from my phone...
Currently I'm a tile user, I have one of their stickers on my Apple TV remote. I also put one on my drone. Sure the drone has a find feature onboard as well, but after spending 40 minutes wandering through high grass looking for a friend's drone and finding it just a few feet from where we were looking, I figured something like a tile on it would be useful to sound an alarm even if the drone battery is totally dead or disconnected from impact.

My understanding is that all of these things work via bluetooth. Tile communicates with anyone who has the app installed on their phone (and I believe now Ring devices as well). Samsung connects to anyone using a Samsung device (I think only Galaxy devices, I may be wrong). Apple Airtags communicates with any newer iphone.

From my experience the issue with Tile is the network of users is too small. I lost some luggage with a Tile in it at the Orlando airport. I set the Tile to lost and went about my day (Disney went to go find the luggage). I should have been notified as soon as the Tile was "found" by anyone with the Tile app installed came within bluetooth range. It was never found, I got a notification about the Tile being "found" as I got within range of it (luggage was in my room when I got back to it, I got notified as I was walking down the hall toward the room). So apparently even though when I fire up the Tile up right now, apparently there are 2,401 people using Tile "nearby" that is not big enough to work well. TIle works great for losing things in my house, or I know about where I left it, but the network is not dense enough to find items truly lost in the world.

I don't have airtags (yet, I'm sure I will eventually) but my concern about them is the anti-stalking features seem like they'll cause my problems. I have Tiles on my keys and in my Jeep. Useful for when I lose the key (hasn't been an issue with this huge fob yet) or when I park at the airport and can't remember where I left it when I get back. But it wasn't that long ago that the dealer had my Jeep for a week. It's my understanding that had I been using Airtags rather than Tiles those things would be annoying everyone nearby with alerts about an Airtag possibly stalking you and it'd be beeping. I'm not interested in stalking my mechanics, but I also don't want to have to remove the Airtags each time I leave the Jeep at the dealer or lend it to anyone. So while Apple's network is probably much better than Tile, I'm not sure if it's going to truly be a better product for me.

With that said, I still think AppleTags are currently the new hottness. If I was 3D printing new fobs for vehicles I'd be working on having an airtag compatible option.
Sponsored

stingGreyNJ

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2013 JK (gone)
How is red not a choice already? Must be a touch color to make in 3d printed plastic?

However, I think anything close enough to OEM colors would suffice for most owners. I couldn't care less if my fob isn't perfect Firecracker Red as long as it's red. Another option would be to partner with some paint shop that would paint and clear-coat the fobs to approximate OEM colors.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Worth giving it a try…I ordered one
@deputyonce

What model, color and texture did you order?

A ways back, after testing, I was told pick any color you want... friggg, I could not decide. I ended up going with black and Hex texture.... and I'm real pleased with the same..

The Camo's are really slick.... as is the translucent...

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I wish they'd update their site with real photos for the colors/patterns instead of just swatches. It's tough to get a real feel for what it'll look like IRL.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Keyfob now 30% smaller! 0006

Jeep Wrangler JL Keyfob now 30% smaller! General-32

Playbak54

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Retired
For those of you that want to keep their original fob, but are sick of the key opening in their pocket because the design of the release button, here's an alternative. It works great. The button is now a bit recessed and you have to work to press it. The key still works if needed. It hasn't once opened in my pocket since I got it. It just slips on over your fob (no assembly required) and comes in colors as well:like: It also has a window for the Jeep logo on the other side.

https://www.amazon.com/Jacket-Wrang...4fa9aa&pd_rd_wg=1Bdhz&pd_rd_i=B08S6K8P1G&th=1

Jeep Wrangler JL Keyfob now 30% smaller! Red Key Fob Jeep Wrangler JL

OP
OP
JLUandCJ-7

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
For those of you that want to keep their original fob, but are sick of the key opening in their pocket because the design of the release button, here's an alternative. It works great. The button is now a bit recessed and you have to work to press it. The key still works if needed. It hasn't once opened in my pocket since I got it. It just slips on over your fob (no assembly required) and comes in colors as well:like: It also has a window for the Jeep logo on the other side.

https://www.amazon.com/Jacket-Wrang...4fa9aa&pd_rd_wg=1Bdhz&pd_rd_i=B08S6K8P1G&th=1

Jeep Wrangler JL Keyfob now 30% smaller! Red Key Fob Jeep Wrangler JL
So it makes your keyfob bigger? Great for the folks who like them chunky!

Sponsored

Playbak54

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Retired
Actually, not that much. It's thin plastic that also provides a clear cover for the buttons as well. I don't think you can notice the difference, except that the key doesn't keep popping out😏

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am really interested in this but leary of messing with the OEM Fob. Anyone experience any issues with this?
@wrigleyville29

I have dis-assembled a half dozen of the stock JL fobs..... There really is little to the disassembly.

YES, removing the RFID chip, can on occasion take some effort..... but really it is not that big of a deal at all...

Watch the video posted in this thread, before you remove the RFID chip... careful you don't cut or pierce the chip when removing it. The chip is pretty stout though.

Some guys get impatient/hurrying or find it necessary..... because the chip is in it's holder so tight.... to cut into the side of the chip housing to get the chip free. You can do the little cut neatly and get the chip out. Myself, I have never found it necessary to cut.

Here is a pic of the one side of the stock fob. You can see in the pic where the chip is housed.. very top and a tad to the left of the circular affair.... the rectangular box..

Jeep Wrangler JL Keyfob now 30% smaller! IMG_2759

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
I actually tried something like this and it definitely adds bulk. A much better solution is to just remove the spring from the key. That way, the key won't pop out when you press the button unless you flick the fob as you do it.

gevo1

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLUR
I always thought the key of the Jeep, being marketed as an off-road, go anywhere utility vehicle, should come with a waterproof, high impact resistant and floating key. Addition of tracking via GPS would be nice as well, but I can do without that.

If the damn Jeep key was this large because it offered these features I'd understand (although I'd cut the key release button down). However, it doesn't, not really. It's pretty rugged, I'll give them that. It definitely doesn't float (no hi-viz stripe either). And although I did once fall into the pool, I wouldn't label it waterproof (I dove down and swam out at slow pace. The key has not been affected surprisingly).
Sponsored