DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm keeping the big key fob. I carry it in my front pocket. Now I can impress without stuffing a pair of socks in there! 😁
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
@MrMischief

In the not to distant future, DI Labs will be offering a new offering.... a Model S+. The Model S+ actually is 30% smaller then the stock fob BUT it still holds the key!

002.jpg

001.jpg
Looks like the key slides out? If so, I really like that idea MUCH better than the switch blade.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Looking forward to having this in my pocket vs the full size fob. Figured I'd post it and keep things up to date if I find any issues. Much much lighter too. Courtesy Threedom. https://mythreedom.com/pages/standard-pageuk8ju.

View attachment 482033
So they finally replaced the old vacuum tubes with transistors. Nice!

Actually, the "no button" fob has my interest. I never use the buttons on my factory fob and I never use the key on my factory fob. If I ever need to remotely lock/unlock/start my JL, I can use my smartphone. The "no button" fob has to be the most compact, right? Of course, if the vehicle battery/batteries fail, this could be an issue.

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

EJWF11

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
So they finally replaced the old vacuum tubes with transistors. Nice!

Actually, the "no button" fob has my interest. I never use the buttons on my factory fob and I never use the key on my factory fob. If I ever need to remotely lock/unlock/start my JL, I can use my smartphone. The "no button" fob has to be the most compact, right? Of course, if the vehicle battery/batteries fail, this could be an issue.
Great reference to vacuum tube size!!

if no buttons, then for sure can be waterproofed. Change the shape for a standardized gasket, could likely make even slimmer.

Sponsored

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
@Rhinebeck01 is right, we can get really close but we don't have fine-tuned color control for consistent color matching. I decided not to go down the path of color matching, we'd just be setting ourselves up for failure and complaints. We have the latest and most advanced color printing but it's just not there yet for accurate color matching.

We'll keep pushing the technology and developing new designs, watertight is on our list >> probably next for the fobs. We have other cool things cooking too. I own a Gladiator and have had several models of Jeeps and Jeep Wranglers, along with a family '57 Willys.

It is really enjoyable to be a part of the community and to receive all the critical feedback (good and bad). We listened closely to the beta testers and take feedback seriously. This project started with solving my fob problem and has expanded as a matter of solving the problem for others, using thoughtful design and advanced 3D printing is a passion project of ours, for sure.

In terms of priorities, watertightness definitely should be at the top of the list. Nevertheless, I realize exact color matching isn't doable with 3D printing. However, I think anything close enough to OEM colors would suffice for most owners. I couldn't care less if my fob isn't perfect Firecracker Red as long as it's red. Another option would be to partner with some paint shop that would paint and clear-coat the fobs to approximate OEM colors.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@AnebuR
@ water tight wanters..

For those that are fixed on having to have a water proof / submersible fob for their JL....... 8-)

Anyway, if you buy the DI labs Model M you can quite easy, make it 100% water proof.

Once you get you hands on it you will see that you can easily use a flexible seam sealant of your choice to seal the fob up. Silicone, etc...

Yes, at battery change time you would have to redo the seal but of course battery change times are not very often..

The Model M is a pretty slick tiny tiny fob that weighs very little. Cost of the fob is not much...

IF waterproofing the fob was a want of mine it would be done... a slick little Model M.... sealed up with a bead of clear or black silicone, depending on the color of the fob. So easy to seal up the Model M or their Model M+...

Of course, DI Labs does not encourage what I have just mentioned...

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I'd be interested in one that disabled/blocked the alarm button.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd be interested in one that disabled/blocked the alarm button.
@michail

With any fob... whether it is a stock, AJT Designs, DI Labs.... there are easy ways to mod it, so panic button is non usable. These two mods iare non intrusive and do not damage the circuit board... Both, very easy to do..

Just take a small, very thin plastic disk or square and place it in the fob between the button press pad and the micro switch on the circuit board that triggers the panic alarm. The disk/square prevents the micro switch from being pressed down. The disk/square does not damage the micro switch...

ANOTHER WAY .... the small rubber trigger for the Panic button can be removed easily with a tweezers..... and without damaging anything. No rubber trigger and the Panic button is non functional. Of course, be careful to save the rubber trigger so you can put back in place if / when you desire to do so... It goes right back in....

See pics below of before and after rubber trigger removal from JL circuit board. 2nd pic shows small black rubber trigger removed.
Jeep Wrangler JL Keyfob now 30% smaller! fob-inside2

Jeep Wrangler JL Keyfob now 30% smaller! fob-insid

IF you have a Tazer JL, it has a disable Panic Button feature.

Last edited:

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link