Sponsored

Key washed in laundry, stop working now what?

modeler

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rav4
How much to fix it in dealer? What about non dealer key maker?
Sponsored

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
The old rice trick can work (placing devices that are waterlogged into rice, as the rice absorbs moisture). The trick, something most people forget, is that the device is sealed and often fine when wet … until you turn it on/press the button. If you can dry it completely before activating it, your chances go up considerably.

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Dunked mine, used the wife’s dehydrator; worked like a champ in 15 minutes

Sponsored

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
If it's for a Jeep then try drying it out as described above.

If that won't work you'll need a new one and have it programmed to your vehicle. I don't think the local locksmith has the right software tools to do that so you will probably have to do that through a dealer.

OP
OP

modeler

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rav4
I did , dry it out and swap battery, no work.
Even the Jeep sensor say no key fob in car.

Now crying,

Bamabww

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys, Snazzberry.
Occupation
Retired and loving it.
Bummer. I washed mine as well but it worked after drying out. Any chance the new battery is dead?
My salesman told me to call him when I needed a new battery for the key fob. Might work for you? Good luck.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude

Now crying,
Did you try leaving it in a bag of rice for a day, as someone previously suggested? Depending on how you dried it out, there may still be some moisture somewhere. Give the rice bag trick a try for a day before you spend money on a replacement fob. Take it apart as if you were going to change the battery, remove the battery and put the two halves in the bag of rice.

Sponsored

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
MoparPartsGiant lists the FOB for $121. I bought a couple this past year. I forgot what I paid. But it took a month or so to get them. They have to come from Jeep or their supplier. They need your VIN and mileage (?). The FOB comes pre-matched to the vehicle, with a RFID chip inside for dead FOB battery starting, and a mechanical key pre-cut for the door.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
How much to fix it in dealer? What about non dealer key maker?
My guess is at least $200-300 bucks. Some locksmiths have the proper equipment to program new fobs, but most do not. You'll just have to pick up the phone and call your local shops and ask.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm not sure about the ability of a local locksmith to make up a new FOB for these JLs. I kinda suspect they can't, based on how I had to order a FOB from Mopar. But possibly.

Now crying,
There is still a valuable part inside that FOB that probably still works. It's the RFID chip. If you press the start button on your Jeep with the FOB, it will start regardless if the circuit board in the FOB is toast or the battery isn't in the FOB.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Pry open the cover with a screwdriver in a little slot on the edge. Inside, you'll see another cover and the battery. Use a little torx driver to remove all the silver screws.
Jeep Wrangler JL Key washed in laundry, stop working now what? 20211220_092137

Under the cover, you'll see the circuit board. Lift it out and squirt it with contact cleaner. Put that in the rice by itself for a day or so.

If upon reassembly it still doesn't work, don't throw it away. It can still start your Jeep. There's a RFID chip in the corner shown below. Press that corner into your start button in the Jeep and it will start. No battery, no circuit board, nada. Just that little chip. Threedom is reportedly making a holder for that chip and the metal key, which would be about the smallest package for a JL key. The downside is you'd have to unlock the door with the metal key and use the chip to push in the start button on the dashboard.

Jeep Wrangler JL Key washed in laundry, stop working now what? 20211110_120520
Jeep Wrangler JL Key washed in laundry, stop working now what? 20211110_121800