Key fob replacement

ana468647

First Name
Ana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Does anybody know where I can buy a key fob replacement? I need one that’s compatible to a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL the ones from the dealership are almost $200 and I’m a little tight on money right so I just need something to be able to move my car. My key got ran over and water inside it doesn’t even let me turn on my Wrangler now.

image.jpg
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Welcome to the forum.

Were two fobs provided when you originally purchased the vehicle?

Ace Hardware and Auto Zone usually have a display rack with a variety of aftermarket fobs for sale. There may be one there that crosswalks to your Wrangler...or not (likely the latter, I'd guess.) It may come to pass that a CDJR dealer may be your only source here, and with the current chip shortage in mind, they might not be able to source a new fob for you straightaway.

If you only need a physical key, this emergency key is a confirmed fit on 2018+ Wranglers. You'd need to find a locksmith who can provide a router cut to make a correct copy of your factory key.

Best of luck here.

swflfireguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Retired Fireman
Vehicle Showcase
When I bought my used 2019 from the dealer, they only gave me one fob. After trying to get one from a site that sold only fobs, I got it programmed at the dealer, but the dealer could not cut it. They ordered me one and when it came in, the key was cut but not programmed. so I took the cut key from the new one, put it into the 'used' one I bought online, then finally had a functioning key.
Then I put the uncut blade on the un-programmed fob and returned it to the online place I bought it from. TOTAL pain in the ass. You'll have to deal with the dealership as they are the only ones who can order a cut key for your Jeep.
Hope you have better luck than me.

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
It is a total racket. $300 for a key is some bull$hit.

BillWorkbench

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2-door Sport S (Stock)
Occupation
IT person
Take it apart and let it dry out. Then if it still works you can get something like this: https://www.ajtdesign-llc.com/online-store/Wrangler-JL-c34349008

It took a good, frustrating, 10 min to get my assembled. Don't force it and be in the mood. When my finally came together it went together without any pressure.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@ana468647

You cannot just go to Ace Hardware, Autozone or such and have them sell you an aftermarket fob for your JL/JT.... it is just not possible.

You will have to go buy an OEM (Mopar) fob that is specifically for the JL/JT and have that fob programmed to your JL.

As for your current fob.... the damaged one..... More then likely that key will still lock/ unlock your JL.

The keys... on a JL/JT fob, will snap but they do not usually bend and become unusable..Have you tried it.

Also believe it or not that fob will probably still start your JL... There is say an 80-90 % chance it will....
(The RFID chip is very stout and probably still alive and well inside the casing)

IF, if you are stranded right now and need to get home, etc., , take that damaged fob and take the end that has the metal key holder and press that firmly against the JL's start button while you are firmly pressing down on the brake pedal. The JL will start and you can drive it.

IF/when you turn off the JL, you will have to do the same thing again in order to restart the JL.

No problem driving the JL like this.. the JL will behave normally except, again each time you turn off the JL, you will have to do as mentioned again.

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those that may think my last post was fake news.... Do know that the RFID chip is a chip that is sealed in a pretty stout/durable coating..... that coating if not compromised will keep the chip safe .. keep it from having water damage, etc., that would make the chip unusable..

You can actually take the RFID chip out of a stock JL fob, and with that chip alone and not even have the fob's circuit board and battery with you..... and start and drive your JL.

Just take the little RFID chip and press it firmly against the start button until the button depresses... you need to have your foot firmly on the brake pedal...

The JL will start and you can drive as usual... no issues, nada. YES, each time you turn off the JL you will have to press the chip against the start button as mentioned to start the JL.

YES, I have done as mentioned.. What I have mentioned is common knowledge to many...

OP
OP

ana468647

First Name
Ana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
For those that may think my last post was fake news.... Do know that the RFID chip is a chip that is sealed in a pretty stout/durable coating..... that coating if not compromised will keep the chip safe .. keep it from having water damage, etc., that would make the chip unusable..

You can actually take the RFID chip out of a stock JL fob, and with that chip alone and not even have the fob's circuit board and battery with you..... and start and drive your JL.

Just take the little RFID chip and press it firmly against the start button until the button depresses... you need to have your foot firmly on the brake pedal...

The JL will start and you can drive as usual... no issues, nada. YES, each time you turn off the JL you will have to press the chip against the start button as mentioned to start the JL.

YES, I have done as mentioned.. What I have mentioned is common knowledge to many...

Even if it looks like this?

image.jpg

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Even if it looks like this?

image.jpg
@ana468647

Yes, very good chance.... .very likely the RFID chip that is in there is not damaged at all..

The RFID chip is coated and is housed in a very rigid, plastic box affair that also protects the chip...

DO try... press that end of the fob firmly against the start button while your foot is pressing down firmly on the brake pedal.

JL/JT Fob
Jeep Wrangler JL Key fob replacement Capture.JPG

Pegleg

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Vice President - Woburn Sportsmen's Association
Look on eBay for one. I recently needed one for a 2014 Toyota and got a used one from eBay, that looked brand new, significantly cheaper than most places. Once it was programmed it worked fine.

Sponsored

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr

I am a nerd in the board level component space. The chips themselves are pretty well-built, especially ones that are used in automotive grade situations. The biggest problem would be if the chip became dislodged from the board and broke part of the chip while doing so.

We routinely test rugged hardware by running it over with a car (my technical guy’s Tahoe, to be specific).

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Look on eBay for one. I recently needed one for a 2014 Toyota and got a used one from eBay, that looked brand new, significantly cheaper than most places. Once it was programmed it worked fine.
As I have never tried, I don’t know the answer … will a dealer still program it?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am a nerd in the board level component space. The chips themselves are pretty well-built, especially ones that are used in automotive grade situations. The biggest problem would be if the chip became dislodged from the board and broke part of the chip while doing so.

We routinely test rugged hardware by running it over with a car (my technical guy’s Tahoe, to be specific).
@LarryB

The RFID chip in question is not on the JL/JLU/JT fob's circuit board, it is totally independent. See pic I posted above. The fob's RFID chip is quite stout and pretty resistant to damage...

In this pic, see the RFID chip residing up top, above the circuit board....to the left of the hole.... totally independent of the circuit board.
Jeep Wrangler JL Key fob replacement jl fob inside

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
There are supposedly rumored lock smiths that have access to the data base to do it, but I couldn’t find them.

I had to order the key from the dealer and wait 48 days for it to come in. With programming it came out to 223. Oddly the key that came with my Jeep has an incorrect emergency key. Would never have known as I just was bored and tried it. New ordered key matched the locks perfectly.

Pegleg

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Vice President - Woburn Sportsmen's Association
As I have never tried, I don’t know the answer … will a dealer still program it?
I don't know. I was able to find instructions online to program the Toyota one. It was along the lines of put the key in run, open and close the door a few times, press this button etc. and it was programmed.

I was told once that AutoZone can program them but I don't know if that is true.
Sponsored