Key FOB: one or two with new Rubicon JLU 2021>

safetyctre

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU, Sky Touch, Jeep half doors, Auto
I only got one key FOB with my new JKU Rubicon. Did anyone get two from the dealer?
Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I received two. But a colleague of my is in the process of buying a TRX, dealer have informed him it only comes with one key and FCA will send a second later. Apparently a chip shortage is affecting key supply. I imagine it's across the board and very recent.

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
It's the microchip shortage. A lot of the major auto companies are doing this, and it's even across the industry - anything using a microchip is facing a shortage.

They had a choice:
Ship with one key, or run out in 1/2 the time and stop production. I know the decision I would have made....

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I was lucky to get 2 with my 21 but I did hear about the chip shortage on a Facebook group. Saw a screen shot from FCA if I remember correctly.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Should be 2. It could be an oversight or it could be the microchip shortage. I would definitely say something. I'd give them some leeway if it's due to the microchip shortage but I'd absolutely want two eventually. Gotta have a spare key!

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
I got two. Just make sure you are on a "list" for your second one if it's because of the chip situation.

G.

Horsemover

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / 1997 TJ 4.0
Could be shortage but have you checked the bag with the manual? I was walking out and realized I didn’t have a 2nd key and they had it in the bag.

Sponsored

OP
OP
safetyctre

safetyctre

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good point, not there. I asked dealer when I picked-up the vehicle and he stated that they only give on key. (I didn't believe him!!!)

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Should be 2. It could be an oversight or it could be the microchip shortage. I would definitely say something. I'd give them some leeway if it's due to the microchip shortage but I'd absolutely want two eventually. Gotta have a spare key!
Lots of companies would ding you on trade in also. I know I would take at least $500 if I was buying a used a vehicle with one key. So I would stay on top of the dealer to get with FCA on getting a second key.

EDIT: Or whatever Chrysler is called these days...

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Good point, not there. I asked dealer when I picked-up the vehicle and he stated that they only give on key. (I didn't believe him!!!)
This has been discussed on these forums in another thread. Due to the chip shortage, new 2021 JLs (as of now) are being delivered with only 1 key. The dealer will owe you and get you the 2nd key once they become available.

OP
OP
safetyctre

safetyctre

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This has been discussed on these forums in another thread. Due to the chip shortage, new 2021 JLs (as of now) are being delivered with only 1 key. The dealer will owe you and get you the 2nd key once they become available.
Thanks, makes sense. Dealer here is top notch so I will follow up with them. Again, thanks

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Alan, who's your dealer in Charlotte? Lake Norman? I did talk to them but ended up at Spartanburg. Haven't been to the dealer for anything since, but the sales experience was fine.

G.
Sponsored