multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry I misspelled a couple of words, for the word police. I was thinking pint and wanting to write POINT..... I wanted to LIE but should have written LIKE. So there you go.....
Yeah I hear you and it’s really not a big deal to me; I’m still buying a JL. I just like discussing the implications of changing design elements. The automatic transmission shifter thing bothers me much more because there appears to be no benefit whatsoever. You save a few square inches on the dash or the center console area? Big deal. Not worth it.

Oh, and this is a response to your first post not the one I quoted about spelling errors. You know you can edit your own posts right? Like I’m doing right now
Sponsored

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I hear you and it’s really not a big deal to me; I’m still buying a JL. I just like discussing the implications of changing design elements. The automatic transmission shifter thing bothers me much more because there appears to be no benefit whatsoever. You save a few square inches on the dash or the center console area? Big deal. Not worth it.

Oh, and this is a response to your first post not the one I quoted about spelling errors. You know you can edit your own posts right? Like I’m doing right now
Yes the shifter knob is a weird problem. Does nothing. They need to listen to consumers and get ideas. I know some do, but old habits (hardly ever) die, even with the car industry. Keep plugging along and I promise not to make anymore speeeling errors.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
There’s a cut off time If you use the remote start to start it, but I’m not sure how long it is.
I was talking about manually starting it an letting it run (I ordered a manual, so I can't use remote start anyway, #sad).
My wife's ford will not run longer than 5-10min IIRC even when started manually and left alone. Emissions limit, I'm guessing.

OceanBlues

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Nice thing with a manual is that since I always put my Jeep in gear before I get out, I quickly find out if the engine is still running or not. :lipssealed:

Sponsored

Jeep your tips up

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS 2.0 Bright White Dual Tops
Most cars with push button starters sound an audible warning that can be heard outside the vehicle if the car is on and the key fob is away a certain distance.

However, my experience with a 2013 Kia Optima and a 2015 Kia Sedona was that both cars could actually be driven for hundreds of miles without the key fob in the car as long as it was started and on.

I routinely leave my Jeep at work and let the valet attendant park it, underground, with the key fob on my person. Once he’s done, he locks the doors and walks away. I get off work way after he has left to go home and I don’t have to ask security for access to the lockbox to pick up my key which is a convenience.

I don’t have the problem mentioned here because I have a manual and always put the Jeep in gear when parked, so if the engine were left on, it would lurch forward.

Kia has a solution for this: you can’t lock the car with the remote with the engine on. If FCA took this approach, it would be problem solved.
My mitsu is the same...beeps if the fobs leaves while engine is running, and cannot remote lock

Jeeper Fever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2-Door Manual JLR
Press remote lock while in the Jeep with engine off, and you can't start the engine.

These push start cars have odd behaviors.

Cream1316

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlu
Occupation
mechanic
My moms bmw horn blows when you leave the car on and lock it and leave with the fob. Or if you leave the car runnig and leave with the fob... thats a simpler optionnn.

Cream1316

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlu
Occupation
mechanic
Its cool to let you leave your car runnning and lock it just in case you need to run in to a store or post office.. just hop in and out with all that starting and shutting off the vehicle in hot or cold asss climatesss

Patsloft

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Clubs

So I did something incredibly stupid over the weekend, however I thought there would be a safety net in such situations...

Basically what happened was I parked the Jeep to go for a bike ride. Two hours later when I get back, I notice the engine is still on. Clearly I forgot to press the button to shut it off and due to it being relatively noisy outside, I didn't hear the engine still running, locked the doors and walked away (I can't believe I actually forgot as it is so routine to me).

As I got to the front door to hop in, I noticed the gauge cluster reading "Key Fob Has Left The Vehicle". That's no surprise, however from my understanding, the engine is supposed to shut off after a certain amount of time running with no key inside?

Luckily I had a full tank, but still annoyed at myself for being wasteful and harming the environment due to negligence on my part.

Anyone have any info on this? Say I parked overnight- would the engine keep running as long as there is enough fuel? (obviously same scenario where the key fob is not inside).
Harming the environment? Really?

Sponsored

Kirby

First Name
Kirby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Most cars with push button starters sound an audible warning that can be heard outside the vehicle if the car is on and the key fob is away a certain distance.

However, my experience with a 2013 Kia Optima and a 2015 Kia Sedona was that both cars could actually be driven for hundreds of miles without the key fob in the car as long as it was started and on.

I routinely leave my Jeep at work and let the valet attendant park it, underground, with the key fob on my person. Once he’s done, he locks the doors and walks away. I get off work way after he has left to go home and I don’t have to ask security for access to the lockbox to pick up my key which is a convenience.

I don’t have the problem mentioned here because I have a manual and always put the Jeep in gear when parked, so if the engine were left on, it would lurch forward.

Kia has a solution for this: you can’t lock the car with the remote with the engine on. If FCA took this approach, it would be problem solved.

I hope FCA doesn't do this. I have my dog with me often, and I frequently leave the engine running while I go in somewhere. It's hot outside, so I leave the engine running, AC on, and lock the doors. Obviously, I take the fob with me. If there's constant beeping, it agitates my dog. If the engine shuts off it kills my dog. I leave a post-it note on the window that reads "AC is ON, Dog is OK. Thanks!" so nobody will break my windows trying to "save" my dog.

I've done the same in several previous vehicles without an issue other than useless constant beeping like I mentioned (BMW I think?) that can only be heard inside the vehicle and only serves the purpose of annoying my dog. The longest I would leave her is maybe an hour, so I probably have no issue with the engine shutting off after that -- assuming I don't slip and fall and get rushed to the ER (unconscious) while my dog is then in a burning hot car dying... but I'd prefer to leave it as is.

Porsche uses a fake keyfob inserted into the dash if you have keyless start. So you don't push a button, you turn a fake key. I guess some people may prefer that. I don't care. But Porsche also puts their key on the wrong side of the steering wheel.

I definitely missed this feature on my JK and am so glad to have it now on the JL. Please don't change it!

SunriseJeep

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited (ordered)
If you can’t hear a running engine, there are at least two options. Get hearing aids, or glance at the tachometer.
Sometimes the engine is super quiet. And if you are parking somewhere loud and distracted it is not unreasonable to forget to hit the power button. My last vehicle had a key and if I forgot to turn off the car and opened the door the car would chime.

I think this post was just meant to be a troll. You’ll feel stupid the next time (or first time if you like) that you forget to turn your vehicle off.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Sometimes the engine is super quiet. And if you are parking somewhere loud and distracted it is not unreasonable to forget to hit the power button. My last vehicle had a key and if I forgot to turn off the car and opened the door the car would chime.

I think this post was just meant to be a troll. You’ll feel stupid the next time (or first time if you like) that you forget to turn your vehicle off.
I was halfway joking, but if you’re so distracted that you can’t tell if you left a vehicle running, you are no longer in control of your vehicle. You shouldn’t be allowed a license. It’s not the same as leaving your lights on or something. It’s a piece of heavy equipment you are supposed to be in control of at all times.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
If the vehicle were to shut off in the absence of a fob, battery dead fobs mid-transit could shut vehicles off.

Maybe the design should be such that a warning message is displayed that in the absence of a fob signal the JL will shut down in x minutes if the fob isn't touched to the start button, like is the case to start the JL with a dead fob battery.

Now though we're pinging the fob not just at start but during transit (sounds above like that's happening anyway) and subject to its battery running dead faster depending on the frequency of such pinging.

It might though thwart car jackings.

Then of course FCA will have to program things such that if a cranked JL's fob not only touches a start button to confirm that the fob hasn't "left the building," but pushes it (because you bet somebody accidently will), the button press is ignored (i.e. the JL doesn't shut down in the middle of the highway.)

In such a scenario I'd wish to program my JL to detonate some C4, not just simply shut down (the car jacking that is).

Wish: won't do.
I wish ALL vehicles had that feature. i have never done it but it can happen. look at parents who accidentally left babies in their cars. it can happen. bad things sometime s happen to good people. there was a lady who rushed home for a emergency call from home and and had a rental that had the push start. she want used to it and left it running in the garage and later that night it killed half the the family from carbon dioxide by getting in the house. How sad if they can make jeeps and trucks now have the engine cut off EVERY DAMN TIME you put your foot on the brake or stop at a light or sign then they could save lives by making the engine cut off after the key fob is away form it after say 20 mins or maybe 30 it would saves lives. if can save just 1 life then its worth it isn't it ? i think so !

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
If the vehicle were to shut off in the absence of a fob, battery dead fobs mid-transit could shut vehicles off.

Maybe the design should be such that a warning message is displayed that in the absence of a fob signal the JL will shut down in x minutes if the fob isn't touched to the start button, like is the case to start the JL with a dead fob battery.

Now though we're pinging the fob not just at start but during transit (sounds above like that's happening anyway) and subject to its battery running dead faster depending on the frequency of such pinging.

It might though thwart car jackings.

Then of course FCA will have to program things such that if a cranked JL's fob not only touches a start button to confirm that the fob hasn't "left the building," but pushes it (because you bet somebody accidently will), the button press is ignored (i.e. the JL doesn't shut down in the middle of the highway.)

In such a scenario I'd wish to program my JL to detonate some C4, not just simply shut down (the car jacking that is).

Wish: won't do.
Whats wrong after say 30 mins it shuts off ? at least it could save a life if someone leaves it running in the garage because its a rental and that were not used to this. 30 mins is plenty too shut off.
Sponsored