Vehicle Showcase

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
My F150 (that I replaced with the JL) had that stupid honk feature if you got out and closed the door with the vehicle running. I understand the idea of the feature but it was so annoying and loud and rude to others anywhere near the vehicle.

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
My F150 (that I replaced with the JL) had that stupid honk feature if you got out and closed the door with the vehicle running. I understand the idea of the feature but it was so annoying and loud and rude to others anywhere near the vehicle.
My wife's car does that...annoying as heck

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
If the car shuts off after 30 minutes (or 60 minutes or whatever) of there being no key fob detected and the car not being moved, wouldn't that solve the problem? Any downside to this?

OP
OP
azamani

azamani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
If the car shuts off after 30 minutes (or 60 minutes or whatever) of there being no key fob detected and the car not being moved, wouldn't that solve the problem? Any downside to this?
Not that I can think of. I'm sure some would dispute it over a very specific situation, but for 99% of the time, if the car is in park or not moving while the key fob is not present, that should be an indication it can and should safely shut off.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I installed a Flowmaster exhaust system. No way you could walk away from it with the engine running.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The best part about this thread is that I learned by new JL will NOT shut off after 5min of warm-up idle time when it's -40deg outside next winter.

Yeee-fuckin-ha

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
The best part about this thread is that I learned by new JL will NOT shut off after 5min of warm-up idle time when it's -40deg outside next winter.

Yeee-fuckin-ha
There’s a cut off time If you use the remote start to start it, but I’m not sure how long it is.

Sponsored

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, Internet keyboard catfighting aside, let’s bring this back to the realm of seriousness because it’s actually a really interesting topic with serious implications (spoiler: I’m going to bring up Anton Yelchin).

Earlier in this thread someone said something about how it’s our responsibility to operate the vehicles safely, not Jeep’s. Thanks for posting this because it brings up the interesting philosophical question I’m going to raise with regard to design: what obligation does the manufacturer have to design a car that is safe to operate? Where’s the line between intuitive, familiar design and innovative design that is needlessly changed for no measurable benefit? Is there a point where change for change’s sake can be harmful?

Let’s set aside key fobs for a moment and examine the automatic transmission selector lever. For decades, automatic transmissions tied the physical location of the shifter to the gear you’re in (Park, reverse, neutral or drive, most commonly). With your eyes closed you could grab the shifter, push it forward, feel it move through the gates and hit the limit of advance- park. You could then exit the car with your eyes still closed and be certain it wouldn’t roll nowhere. The design communicated something to you and you naturally can operate it without thought, much like the entire process of a daily commute. Then FCA engineers changed that and removed the physical connection to the gear you’re putting the car in. A Grand Cherokee was erroneously left in Neutral and killed Chekov.

Could this tragedy theoretically have happened with a traditionally-gated shifter? Sure. Is that likely? Hell no. To be fair, this wasn’t likely either- but it was enabled by a needless design change. FCA quickly changed the GC’s shifter design (if memory serves).

Bring the topic back around to key fobs and it gets a little muddied. There IS a measurable benefit to not having to remove a key from your pocket or purse, insert it in the ignition, and turn it. Pushing a button IS faster. That’s fine. But then you add the “feature” of ESS and it muddies the water again: you park your car, the engine shuts off, and maybe you even touch the push-start button, but not hard enough for it to register and your car is still on. Later the engine kicks back in to maintain the HVAC temp, and your garage fills with CO. Once again, removing the physical act of twisting a key counter-clockwise and pulling it to the right- something you can do with your eyes closed and be sure you did it and be sure it registered- removes an analog step and replaces it with a digital one that must be verified with your eyes and a conscious thought.

Is it worth the time saved by not having to remove the key from your pocket? I’ll let you decide.
Understand your point but at some point in time we need to move on. The keyless entry/no key/etc..... has been around for a while. Years even, we have to at some pint, understand what we are driving and get used to it. Going to the mall and your wife saying, go get gas while I go shop, should trigger a response lie "where is the key?" "I need it to drive this car". BREAK habits and learn new things.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
In a world where people leave children and pets in a hot car, leaving a vehicle running or forgetting a fob shouldn’t be surprising.:facepalm:

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Understand your point but at some point in time we need to move on. The keyless entry/no key/etc..... has been around for a while. Years even, we have to at some pint, understand what we are driving and get used to it. Going to the mall and your wife saying, go get gas while I go shop, should trigger a response lie "where is the key?" "I need it to drive this car". BREAK habits and learn new things.
Sorry I misspelled a couple of words, for the word police. I was thinking pint and wanting to write POINT..... I wanted to LIE but should have written LIKE. So there you go.....
Sponsored