Sponsored

Key fob is NOT waterproof

Surfari6969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Billet Silver Soft Top
Sad to report that the JL key fob is in fact not waterproof, despite the rubber gasket. I took my key into the water for the first time with it in my wetsuit key pocket for about 2 hours. I was long boarding so bear in mind that they key was above the surface of the water 95% of the time and only slightly submerged the other 5% of the time. When I came in it worked fine at first then stopped working. Pooped the door off of the key and was greeted with an ounce of black/brown and green fluids. The battery looked like it was short circuiting and forming a weird growing crust, so I chucked it. No indication where the water was intruding from, but I also noticed at purchase that they keys both had that sub millimeter gap other users reported. I rinsed the key internals thoroughly with tap water at home and let it dry a few days. Just now I swapped a good battery into it and despite the massive corrosion that is formed on all the contacts, it still works for now.

So takeaway, ITS NOT WATERPROOF! Sad because I was really looking forward to keeping my key on me for surfing rather than stashing it on the beach and praying a hobo didn’t find it and peel off in my Jeep.
Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
OP
OP

Surfari6969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think that will have to be my solution, or a RFID blocking key lockbox attached to the frame or hitch.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I think that will have to be my solution, or a RFID blocking key lockbox attached to the frame or hitch.
Why didn’t you keep your key inside a ziplock bag (or 2) (while surfing) at least.That would have solved your issue...
I also do a lot of water sports and this has worked for me.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Surfari6969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Washing machine was probably fine since it’s tap water and few dissolved electrolytes to short or corrode the internals. I surfed without any bags because I was assured by the dealer it was waterproof, kind of same as how you wouldn’t need to bag up a GoPro in the water.

KCC_703

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray MOAB
The waterproof bags for phones should do the trick. Get all the air out and it should fit close to the body under a wetsuit...

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Fob is supposed to be somewhat waterproof. There is a test to simulate going through the wash cycle in your washing machine it is supposed to pass, as well as a 3 feet underwater dunk test. Wouldn't be waterproof like a watch, but should survive what you described. Would not press buttons while underwater though; breaking the seal would allow water in. May be worth seeing if it would be covered under warranty. Also, be careful with the lithium batteries if they get wet. Gunk inside is pretty toxic if battery leaks (which it will if water gets in and shorts it).

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I had asked my dealer as well they said it was water resistant not water proof.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Chrysler-Factory-Warranty

First Name
Mopar Warranty
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.chrysler-factory-warranty.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Warranty Sales
Sad to report that the JL key fob is in fact not waterproof, despite the rubber gasket. I took my key into the water for the first time with it in my wetsuit key pocket for about 2 hours. I was long boarding so bear in mind that they key was above the surface of the water 95% of the time and only slightly submerged the other 5% of the time. When I came in it worked fine at first then stopped working. Pooped the door off of the key and was greeted with an ounce of black/brown and green fluids. The battery looked like it was short circuiting and forming a weird growing crust, so I chucked it. No indication where the water was intruding from, but I also noticed at purchase that they keys both had that sub millimeter gap other users reported. I rinsed the key internals thoroughly with tap water at home and let it dry a few days. Just now I swapped a good battery into it and despite the massive corrosion that is formed on all the contacts, it still works for now.

So takeaway, ITS NOT WATERPROOF! Sad because I was really looking forward to keeping my key on me for surfing rather than stashing it on the beach and praying a hobo didn’t find it and peel off in my Jeep.
Great article on this.

Are Key Fobs Waterproof? Hope someone gets something from this:)

Terrymo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR 3.6 ET
Clubs

…Sad because I was really looking forward to keeping my key on me for surfing rather than stashing it on the beach and praying a hobo didn’t find it…
We don’t have hobos in CA, we have a “voluntarily unhoused segment of the population“