Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@ECHO Craig: I don't know if I read you correctly but I think a prior post of yours claimed fob battery wear down as a function of its non Faraday bag shielded proximity to the JL, and the post after that the "silliness" of leaving those keys in the JL.

As to the first point: I don't claim to know exactly when, aside from 3 obvious events a) proximity entry for those who have it, b) pressing of the start button (without the front of the fob touching it), and c) pressing one of the fob's buttons (obvious though not the key release one) that the fob's battery is taxed.

I do know it's more frequent that that, and seems to happen when the JL is cranked but in Park, for example, based on other people's testing.

But I'd guess that when the JL is powered down (or on and in drive) that it's not handshaking with the fob on a regular basis and wearing down the fob's battery.

~~~~~~~

As to leaving one of the fob's in the JL, I think @Rhinebeck01 makes a very good case for doing so, especially for those who spend time on the road, albeit when the extra fob is both hidden/locked away and in a Faraday enclosure AND an extra physical key is hidden on the JL's exterior.

In this case the Faraday enclosure I suspect is not so much to prevent dead fob batteries but for security, i.e. anyone driving away with your JL.

Such decision's pros are having the extra fob available to you if you've lost your primary one, and its cons...losing those backup keys if someone steals your JL....

which we'd all have to agree aren't our biggest of concerns with no JL to use those extra keys with, when those backup keys also got stolen with the vehicle.

: - )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sponsored

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
Both my Grand Cherokee key fob batteries started showing reduced range at about 3-4 years.You will see symptoms before the battery dies, and it costs like 4 dollars. I usually keep mine away from the vehicle maybe like 20 ft.

maweber

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
My original died 2 weeks ago, replaced 1.5 weeks ago, and died yesterday. It's a JL Sport, so no button presses. Just weired

Sponsored

DToxic

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Funny I was just reading this thread last week, and my key fob battery low message came up today. Only 2.5 years old, guess I need to keep the key even further away...

78cj7-18lj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangle Sahara JLU
Occupation
Retired
Just this week I ordered new batteries for my wife's 2010 ACCORD (first time ever). We are the original owners so it depends

Sponsored

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
My JL is a year old and have not had FOB issues. It has 16K miles on it and when parked keys are at least 20 feet away from jeep. The wife's Volvo is almost 5 years old and we changed the FOB batteries this week just because they were that old, never had an issue

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
My JLUR is a 2018 that I picked up in April that year. Have about 42k miles and have not replaced the fob battery. It’s still original from the factory.

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
2019 with Proximity Locks 11/18’ build date. 3 year battery life with limited driving. 5k a year.
Sponsored