Kentrol Door Hinge Bushings

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
  • Banned

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
A number of members here have mentioned the switch to delrin hinge bushings. I've yet to hear anything negative about them.

As far as installation is concerned, the hardest part will be not hitting the body with the hammer. Otherwise, just be mindful of the hinges shifting from the hammering. Some members have reported trouble with rehanging a door because the hinge was misaligned after running doorless with one of those footpegs that go in the lower hinge.

Inevitably, we will all have worn hinge bushings from use over time. But I'm not sure if there is any appreciable gain to doing them before that.

OP
OP
Punjabi New Yorker

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
  • Banned
A number of members here have mentioned the switch to delrin hinge bushings. I've yet to hear anything negative about them.

As far as installation is concerned, the hardest part will be not hitting the body with the hammer. Otherwise, just be mindful of the hinges shifting from the hammering. Some members have reported trouble with rehanging a door because the hinge was misaligned after running doorless with one of those footpegs that go in the lower hinge.

Inevitably, we will all have worn hinge bushings from use over time. But I'm not sure if there is any appreciable gain to doing them before that.
Ok. If that is the case then I will wait for the bushings to wear out and save my $32.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok. If that is the case then I will wait for the bushings to wear out and save my $32.
Or if they should happen to start showing signs of corrosion. That would be another reason to switch to the delrin ones. Even if there's not a noticeable amount of wear, any signs of rust and I'd switch them out. Otherwise, they will become increasingly difficult to remove and increase the potential of causing peripheral damage.

OP
OP
Punjabi New Yorker

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
  • Banned
Or if they should happen to start showing signs of corrosion. That would be another reason to switch to the delrin ones. Even if there's not a noticeable amount of wear, any signs of rust and I'd switch them out. Otherwise, they will become increasingly difficult to remove and increase the potential of causing peripheral damage.
For corrosion I was thinking about instead applying some grease to the hinges like once a year. Wonder what type of Grease I should use. Any recommendations?

I live on Long Island as well (Exit 51 off LIE). Corrosion is an issue for us for sure due to a combination of the sea breeze and then snow salt in the winter.

Sponsored

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
For corrosion I was thinking about instead applying some grease to the hinges like once a year. Wonder what type of Grease I should use. Any recommendations?

I live on Long Island as well (Exit 51 off LIE). Corrosion is an issue for us for sure due to a combination of the sea breeze and then snow salt in the winter.
A quality paraffin wax should work nicely.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Just off exit 62 here.

I'd lean towards a dry lubrication. It's long lasting, won't make a mess in the surrounding area, and won't attract contaminants like sand and dirt. Molybdenum, graphite, and silicone based are a couple of dry lubes. They have versions that are a spray type of wet applicationthat quickly dries and leaves film that bonds to the surface.

OP
OP
Punjabi New Yorker

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
  • Banned
Just off exit 62 here.

I'd lean towards a dry lubrication. It's long lasting, won't make a mess in the surrounding area, and won't attract contaminants like sand and dirt. Molybdenum, graphite, and silicone based are a couple of dry lubes. They have versions that are a spray type of wet applicationthat quickly dries and leaves film that bonds to the surface.
Exit 62? Yepp I am familiar with that area as I went to Stony Brook.

and thanks for the dry lube recommendation. Going to buy this off Amazon and then spray my hinges once a year with it to prevent corrosion: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PJED72/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_i_xN8tFbWCDEH7R
Sponsored