Sponsored

Kent Shurtleff @ Peterson Jeep Nampa Review

muffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 2.0
For those of you getting ready to order a Jeep, here's some feedback on Kent, who will likely be on your short list of dealers to work with. It's not his first review here on the forum but it's one of those rare times I feel compelled to rave about something myself.

I will preface my review with the fact that I DESPISE working with car salesmen. I've never had a good experience (until now) and avoid shopping with them like the plague. I would normally never buy new but given the current used car market it was the smart play.

First regarding Kent: he's a stand up dude. He's a straight shooter and very up front about how they make their money. My radar was on full alert the whole time and I never caught a whiff of bullshit from him. He does something like 30 of these out of state Tread Lightly deals a month and it's a cut and dry process. Tell him the build, confirm the build, place a $1k deposit, and wait 6-10 weeks to pick it up in Boise.

MSRP on our jeep was $55,185. The tread lightly discount brought it down to around $51,000 and then Kent offers an incentive for financing through them worth a couple grand. Our final price was $48,685, so roughly 12% below MSRP. He's upfront about the fact that the financing rate they get you is 1-2% higher than what you could get on your own and they ask that you just make 4-6 payments (depending on the lender) before refinancing. You can only put a maximum of 5% down at the time of purchase. My rate with them ended up being 3.8% so it's not like they fly you in and then whack you with a ridiculously high interest rate. We did all the loan paperwork ahead of time and knew the interest rate before we ever got on the plane.

Kent drove clear across the Boise metro to pick us up himself when we arrived. We checked the vehicle over and took it for a quick spin, and then headed into the finance office to do the paperwork. The F&I manager was easy to work with too. He did a low-key version of the typical sales routine to try and upsell finance products (warranties, add-ons, etc..) but he wasn't overly pushy by any means. He pretty quickly figured out we weren't buying and laid off the pitch after that. It took 20ish minutes and then we were handed our keys.

By an large, I am very impressed by Kent's program there. I'm the kind of guy that wants top notch service AND a good deal AND I don't want to haggle. Kent offers that and has probably won my CJDR business for life. As others have mentioned, he can be slow to reply via email but he never missed a beat when it was important and when it comes time to coordinate pick up he started texting us.

So anyways, if you want a good deal AND a good buying experience, Kent's your man.
Sponsored

OP
OP

muffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 2.0
I will also add that I did shop other dealers, including one of the other commonly recommended volume dealers here and I wasn't impressed. Kent's customer service was far superior and made it an easy decision.

TwoDoorDylan

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sting Gray Rubicon; 2001 Ext Cab Tacoma
Purchased my 2 door from Kent back in March. Everything you said in your post is spot on. Ordering/purchasing through Kent was hands down the best vehicle buying experience I've ever had. Everything was straightforward, simple, quick, and I walked away with a great deal. Can't beat that!

Lucky for me I'm local to the area and I will certainly be ordering from Kent again when the time comes!

Buddy Lee

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Well put! Ken is a great guy. Myself and a friend both ordered jeeps at the same time. Kent took great care of us both. Besides picking us up, both jeeps were clean, fully fueled and ready to roll upon arrival. I will definitely buy my next jeep there as well.

bckly

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Occupation
Engineer
Currently waiting on my JLUR from Kent, and I agree so far. Great man and willing to offer a great deal. He put up with me changing my build time after time and was happy to provide new estimates. It’s been a great process thus far and from what I can tell it’s going to continue to be.

Sponsored

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
I got mine from Kent in 2019. He picked us up by the airport. Took maybe an hour total which included financing.

OregonJeepGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Sting Gray
Occupation
Old retired guy
Is there any penalty for early payoff on the financing, assuming you make 6 payments then payoff the balance in cash?

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Is there any penalty for early payoff on the financing, assuming you make 6 payments then payoff the balance in cash?
Nope. You could pay it off the next day technically. It’s more of an honor system thing so he can keep doing his deals.

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
Congrats on finding an straight talking dealer!

I got the same deal from my guy, a high volume dealer 200 miles away in Lakeland, FL, -11% off msrp, $1,000 deposit, and so far nothing but straight talk and 6-7 weeks of waiting (4 weeks so far, it's built waiting for shipping).

I got a great interest rate on my own from Bank of America (1.69% up to $50K, or 1.79% over $50K, for 72 months). This suits me fine, but I'll inquire about their financing and get a further reduction of cash up front, even if a couple of percentage more. Like you say, I can always refi after a few payments.

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
Nope. You could pay it off the next day technically. It’s more of an honor system thing so he can keep doing his deals.
Actually some contracts require you to make a certain amount of payments. After that you can pay it off without penalty. The hope is you won't bother, and many don't.

Sponsored

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Actually some contracts require you to make a certain amount of payments. After that you can pay it off without penalty. The hope is you won't bother, and many don't.
That is absolutely not true there is no such thing! Like it was stated above it’s done on the honor system you can payoff that car loan the very first payment or trade in your car which would payoff the loan without any penalty! All car loans are Simple interest loans. The crazy loans done many years ago where they front loaded the interests and had penalties for early payoff no banks do anymore.

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
That is absolutely not true there is no such thing! Like it was stated above it’s done on the honor system you can payoff that car loan the very first payment or trade in your car which would payoff the loan without any penalty! All car loans are Simple interest loans. The crazy loans done many years ago where they front loaded the interests and had penalties for early payoff no banks do anymore.
Huh? You are saying the is no such thing as a pre-payment penalty? (I'll wait while you google it)

Hint: Don't be so sure of yourself. You don't always know everything even though you think you do, a common mistake of youth. ;)

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Huh? You are saying the is no such thing as a pre-payment penalty? (I'll wait while you google it)

Hint: Don't be so sure of yourself. You don't always know everything even though you think you do, a common mistake of youth. ;)
Google what you want all car loans from banks are simple interest loans so I would suggest you google what a simple interest loan is my friend!

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
Google what you want all car loans from banks are simple interest loans so I would suggest you google what a simple interest loan is my friend!
You are conflating two separate things. Yes all car loans are simple interest. Also, the sky is blue.
What does simple interest have to do with a clause in a contract that says you pay fee if you close loan early? lol Simple interest just means the interest portion of the payment is recalculated each month on the remainder of the balance (no front loading or balloon payments, etc). Again, this has nothing to do with a clause in the contract that says if close the loan early, you pay a fee. SOme lenders have this fine print, so you are, sorry to say, still wrong.

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are conflating two separate things. Yes all car loans are simple interest. Also, the sky is blue.
What does simple interest have to do with a clause in a contract that says you pay fee if you close loan early? lol Simple interest just means the interest portion of the payment is recalculated each month on the remainder of the balance (no front loading or balloon payments, etc). Again, this has nothing to do with a clause in the contract that says if close the loan early, you pay a fee. SOme lenders have this fine print, so you are, sorry to say, still wrong.
No the contract cannot say there is a penalty for paying off a SIMPLE INTEREST LOAN PERIOD!! You are clueless sorry if the contract said that then by definition it would not be a simple interest loan!! There is no simple interest car loans that would ever have this early payoff penalty period written in them or again it would not be a simple interest loan! You clearly do not know what you are talking about!
Sponsored