Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Long-Term Review: Kenda Klever KR601 RT
Billy B. / 19 May 2021
Updated: 08 September 2021
1000 Mile Update

Jeep Wrangler JL Kenda Klever KR601 RT 35x12.50R17 1000 Mile Update 20210519_104039

I'll start by pointing out the obvious. The words "initial" and "long-term" don't work together. This review will be updated on my journey to the first 1000 miles, and then every 5,000 miles afterword. I'm somewhat of a perfectionist and I know how much time I spent before pulling the trigger and purchasing new tires. As an avid Jeep enthusiast, off-roading hobbyist, and someone who just genuinely loves "working on" my Wranglers, tires are that one thing you just want to get right the first time.

I'll be adding new sections to this review as I meet the aforementioned milestones and timelines. I will also be adding to my initial review as I continue to dial these in for both on-road and off-road use, and hopefully will save someone some time in the future.

Jeep Wrangler JL Kenda Klever KR601 RT 35x12.50R17 1000 Mile Update 20210518_155904

SPECIFICATIONS.
  • Kenda Klever RT
  • 35x12.50R17
  • Price: $223.79 Per Tire
  • Load Range E
  • Weight (Manufacturer): 70.69 lbs
  • Max Load: 3197 @ 65 PSI
  • Tread Depth: 20mm
  • Width: 12.5 Inches
  • True Height UNDER LOAD: 34.25 Inches
ADDITIONAL FACTORS.
  • Mounted on 17x7.5 inch OEM Rubicon Wheels
  • 2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel Vehicle Weight over 5200 lbs
  • Driving Habits: 65% Town, 35% Highway
  • Off-Road Use: Weekend Overlanding, Trails, Moderate Crawling
  • Minimum PSI W/Out Beadlocks: 12 PSI

On-Road Performance
Noise, Vibration, Harshness.

I am going to come out and say it. These tires are as quiet, and as smooth as the ATs I typically run. I have been a long time owner of BFG KO2s and have enjoyed a set of Cooper STT Pros. These ride considerably quieter than the MTs, with a feint hum that is barely noticeable with no doors. I imagine this will get louder as they wear, but for now it is a non-factor. They ride as smooth as the factory tires that came off this new 2021 JLU and provide no change to the actual feel of the vehicle in both day low speed and highway driving. Currently at the 41-43 PSI, they do feel like a 35" tire, but I am not sold on this as a factor of how harsh these tires are. 41 PSI is simply too much, and was only the starting point to dial these in. I suspect these will love to ride at the 30-35 PSI range. This will be updated as I spend the upcoming weeks dropping the PSI in 5 lb. increments to dial this in.

Steering and Braking.

This is the area I expected to sacrifice in. Not because these tires are aggressive, but because the comparison tires on this specific vehicle are the OEM 285x70R17 tires. I was pleasantly surprised at the handling and steering of the JLU on these 35x12.5 tires. They do not wonder and the Jeep still drives remarkably straight for a Wrangler. The brakes hold up exceptionally well, at least on the Rubicon. These truly were made to run 35's directly from the factory. At 71 lbs. per tire, these are a 38% increase in weight over stock, but at over 5,250 pounds I do not notice it.

Tread and Design.

Jeep Wrangler JL Kenda Klever KR601 RT 35x12.50R17 1000 Mile Update Kenda_KR601_Tread-1
Jeep Wrangler JL Kenda Klever KR601 RT 35x12.50R17 1000 Mile Update 20210519_195253

The tread and design of these tires admittedly took some time to grow on me. The pictures truly do not do them any justice. In fact, I was dead set on picking up an entirely different set of tires until I saw these in person. The tread and design are just aggressive enough to scratch that MT itch, while still including multiple design aspects of a true AT tire that add to some important road characteristics like sound, handling in water and snow. The addition of sipping was also a large selling point.

Off-Road Performance
Airing Down.

One of the most important factors for me personally was having the ability to confidently air down to the 12 PSI threshold with a durable, yet soft enough sidewall to give me the additional traction needed to off-road. In the few test runs I have done so far, these have held a bead and do an amazing job of actually using that aggressive sidewall. While I can't speak on durability yet, these initially at least, have done exactly what I needed them to do.

Traction.

This is one area I am going to save for later. These have performed exactly how anyone would expect them to on dirt, mud, water and while climbing unimproved trails. What I have not done is any extensive rock-crawling. My initial impression, these are that sweet spot between a MT and an AT, but I want to see how these hold up when you truly need them, during that vertical pitch on unforgiving rocks.

Overall.

If it seems like I just wrote a review only speaking positively about these tires, it's because I did. It took a lot, I would argue over a 100 of hours, of research to get me to actually consider running these tires. Kenda isn't widely known as a top tier vehicle tire company, and I am not rolling in money to be able to buy multiple sets of tires. I had my doubts, even after I picked these up. I was mentally prepared to be just "OK" with these, but happy that I saved a ton of money. The overall initial impression however is that I honestly like these better than both the KOs and STT Pros in the same size.

Update 1 -
22 May 2021

32 PSI on-road testing. I immediately noticed a difference. Not a surprised considering I reduced the pressure by nearly 20%. I wanted to establish just what "soft" feels like with these tires and I managed to do just that. At 32 PSI they feel and ride soft. They are still extremely enjoyable to drive, and ride softer than I expected. I have zero wandering issues, but did notice the slightly less responsive steering, which was to be expected. The tires gained a slight hum, but again with no top or doors it is still barely audible.

The good old fashion "boot to tire" test did show me just how soft these sidewalls are. Now to me, this is a win as I want a soft but durable sidewall when I air down. My concern is at 32 PSI, it doesn't take much effort for me to get some noticeable sidewall movement. Part of this can be attributes to my narrower than manufacturer required rims (7.5"). While I love the ride at 32, I'll be bumping up to 36 or so in the near future to see if I can find some middle ground.

Update 2 - 08 September 2021

It took me a little longer than expected to hit the 1000 mile mark with these tires. Nothing negative to report, but some changes to my PSI and some confirmation on my contact patch 'issue'.

PSI: I settled at 34 PSI for these tires on my 7.5 inch rims. The rim width is important to highlight. I am running these on stock narrow wheels, and it's causing me to not get the perfect contact patch I want. Not a major issue, but it took me a lot longer to really dial in the on-road PSI because of it. To recap, at 28 PSI I still had about 3/4 inch of no contact. The tire however felt very soft and road like a tire that was underinflated. At 32 PSI the tire rides perfect, but due to the amount of tire bulge I have (again on 7.5" rims) they bounce a little more than I am comfortable with for excessive highway driving. 34 PSI was the sweet spot. Minimal tire movement, they still run soft, and I have no concerns of tire wear issues at this time.

Initial Tire Rotation: While unnecessary, I am about to drive 1500 miles and wanted to get my first tire rotation out of the way to get the spare broken in. Worth noting, I do plan on rotating these tires every 1500-2000 miles. While I am sold on these as a solid, reliable, budget friendly off-road tire, I absolutely acknowledge that I am most likely looking at a 30-35k tire. The 5 tire rotation schedule will hopefully get me some extra life while reducing my chances of seeing some common issues with "cheap" tires.

I am seeing these tires on some more mainstream social media posts lately. DonutMedia featured them on their latest installment of HiLow, where they are building 2 Toyota Tacoma's, one with cheap, one with expensive parts (worth watching, good series for the most part). These are similar to the Milestar Pats a few years ago. Time will tell if they take off like those did. I also am confident these will wear considerably more even that the Milestar's, which wear in the middle by design and are known to be a 30k or less tire for most.
Sponsored

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Awesome first post! These tires have a large following in the pizza-cutter 35x10.5x17 size over on the Gladiator forum. The only negative I've seen was the weight, but those 35x12.5s aren't too bad in that regard, about avg vs other 35s. Really like the look of the sidewalls, very similar to the older Mickey Thompson Baja King tires back in the 80s. Nice tread depth for a hybrid design too. Look forward to your updates as time goes on, and FWIW here's that epic thread on the Gladiator site
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/kenda-klever-r-t-kr601-35x10-50r17.28656/

OP
OP
Sua Sponte

Sua Sponte

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Awesome first post! These tires have a large following in the pizza-cutter 35x10.5x17 size over on the Gladiator forum. The only negative I've seen was the weight, but those 35x12.5s aren't too bad in that regard, about avg vs other 35s. Really like the look of the sidewalls, very similar to the older Mickey Thompson Baja King tires back in the 80s. Nice tread depth for a hybrid design too. Look forward to your updates as time goes on, and FWIW here's that epic thread on the Gladiator site
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/kenda-klever-r-t-kr601-35x10-50r17.28656/
I spent a lot of time in that thread haha. I must have read a thousand posts and reviews before buying them. It's one of those few purchases on a Jeep that you just want to get right the first time. Selling used tires is a pain. It's probably the ONLY part of a Wrangler I don't buy or sell when I build.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
I had a set of Kenda Klever MTs on a WJ and really liked them. Granted I only got to put about 8k on them before the Jeep got totaled out.

I will be watching this thread. I like the pizza cutter 35x10.50 size as a possibility.

OP
OP
Sua Sponte

Sua Sponte

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
1000 Mile Update!

Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I also have a 2021 JLUR Diesel. 13,000 mi. on the Rubicon as of today. I installed Falken Wildpeak A/T3W LT315/70R17 tires. I did have my dealer recalibrate for the larger tires. I run 36 psi in these tires for street use and 14 psi off road. I still run the OEM 17" x 7.5" wheels. At 11,000 miles on these Falken tires, the tread is wearing evenly.

Other than the rear camera failure (which was an easy fix) I have had absolutely no problems with my 2021 JLUR Diesel. I love it.

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Great review, these are on the list in a 35x10.50x17 at some point. I have always liked a taller narrower tire. Usually less weight and rolling resistance, while easier to fit with less lift and usually no need for wheel spacers or new wheels. I wish more companies made 35x10.50s.

OP
OP
Sua Sponte

Sua Sponte

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
I also have a 2021 JLUR Diesel. 13,000 mi. on the Rubicon as of today. I installed Falken Wildpeak A/T3W LT315/70R17 tires. I did have my dealer recalibrate for the larger tires. I run 36 psi in these tires for street use and 14 psi off road. I still run the OEM 17" x 7.5" wheels. At 11,000 miles on these Falken tires, the tread is wearing evenly.

Other than the rear camera failure (which was an easy fix) I have had absolutely no problems with my 2021 JLUR Diesel. I love it.
Which rear camera failure did you have? I'm having two issues, but one of them does have something to do with my spare (it started after the tire rotation).

My first issue is no camera lines. Common problem. No fix. Whatever, doesn't really matter to me.

The second issue started after I rotated my tires, my backup sensors no longer work. I spin the rear tire thinking the TPMS might be interfering with the bumper, but no luck.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Which rear camera failure did you have? I'm having two issues, but one of them does have something to do with my spare (it started after the tire rotation).

My first issue is no camera lines. Common problem. No fix. Whatever, doesn't really matter to me.

The second issue started after I rotated my tires, my backup sensors no longer work. I spin the rear tire thinking the TPMS might be interfering with the bumper, but no luck.
As for no grid lines, I have never had that problem. About 4 weeks ago, my Uconnect did an automatic update. I read that the update was to fix the rear camera no grid line issue (that I never had). The same day that the Uconnect update completed (just minutes later) the rear obstacle /cross traffic detection quit working. These are the sensors in the rear bumper. Then they started working intermittently. Then they started working normally but my rear camera totally failed. Black screen. I had the rear camera replaced and now everything is 100%.

Two (2) items worth noting:

1.) Since my spare is now size 315/70R17, I can see part of the bottom sidewall in my rear camera view. It does not block much of the rear view, but it does block some of the bottom edge of the view.

2.) I read a technical article about automotive backup cameras. They are not just cameras. They work in conjunction with the rear bumper sensors for obstacle detection. So I suspect that the camera can affect the sensors and the sensors can affect the camera.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Thanks for the update, good resource for those that have these on their list.

Sponsored

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Thank you for such a great review. I am trying to decide between the 10.5 and 12.5 versions.

Do you happen to have a picture of a straight front and or front 3/4 view?

Thanks!
Sponsored