Keep Recon bumper or go aftermarket?

Jerkeejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
I’ve been having a blast beginning the mod process with my first Jeep. Installed 2” Mopar lift and went to 35s. Installed some Rigid lights, a hilift mount, and a tailgate table. I have tube doors, a bikini top, and a slipstream on the way.

I’ll likely not make many more changes for a few months, but have been looking around at bumpers for the future. As I’ve looked, I’ve found some that I like quite a bit and a lot that I don’t like at all. A common theme among the bumpers I like is that they weigh 100lbs or more. Add a winch and it’s nearly 200lbs out front that wasn’t meant to be there.

I’ve started to think I might just keep the stock steel recon bumper. I pulled the end caps off and like the looks of it and I can easily add a winch to it. Am I missing something? Is there some functionality that the stock steel bumpers lack? Do people mostly change out front bumpers for looks?

Any input or insights are appreciated.
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I actually like the look and functionality of the stock steel bumper over most aftermarket choices. I too have removed the end caps on my 18 JLUR and like that look. One of the items swaying me to keep the stock bumper is the ability to have the fog lights in the main bumper with the end caps removed.

I've been searching for a replacement bumper for my 2019 JLUR, which has plastic bumpers, and really having a hard time finding something I like.

If you decide to replace your steel bumper, hit me up as I'll buy it if I haven't found something (since you're in NV too!).

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Is there some functionality that the stock steel bumpers lack? Do people mostly change out front bumpers for looks?
Nope. Yes.

The OEM equipment, in general, seems to be great quality and lightweight compared to aftermarket choices. The front bumper is less than 80 pounds, and it's hard to find aftermarket wheels that are lighter than the factory wheels.

OP
OP

Jerkeejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
No other opinions on this?

RedRaiderSATX

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Banker
I replaced my OEM bumpers (plastic) with the ARB Bondi full-width front and ARB rear bumper, and I couldn't be happier with the decision. They look great and provide a ton of protection!

Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I love my steel bumper and dig the OEM+ look. The rear is definitely a riskier bet to keep tho, it tends to flex up and push into the body if it gets caught on a rock. The front is great in stubby mode, and I added the warn winch plate to put my 10S in. Only bumper I'd possibly move to would be the AEV but it seems like those aren't ever gonna be released.

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 4.05.43 PM.png

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
My vote goes to the Mopar front bumper. It's heavy enough to take hits and house a winch, but not an anchor like too many others. It's really the factory rear steel bumper that leaves a lot to be desired. I'm planning on switching my rear out for the Motobilt Crusher. The front stays.
Jeep Wrangler JL Keep Recon bumper or go aftermarket? 20200628_200618_resized
Sponsored