First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Just tell them you sold the vehicle and they will cancel with no hassle.

They may ask if you have a new vehicle and want to transfer service, just tell them no, and boom done.
Everything with those guys is always a hassle. I expect their response to telling them I sold the vehicle would be to point out if I keep my subscription, I can continue listening on my phone. They're as bad as the long distance companies back in the '90s.

I've been listening to the thing in the new Jeep, since it's free. It really isn't any better than over-the-air radio. Instead of 45 minutes of every hour being devoted to ads for car dealerships and other crap, they devote 45 minutes of every hour to ads for GEICO, and other XM stations.

No, once I get the exhaust installed, I'll just go back to listening to my pipes. I like the sounds of pipes.

Also, you have a really nice profile photo. I love that Jeep backlit by the sun.
Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know what stations or times you guys listen, but I hear maybe 3 minutes of commercials every 20 or so minutes. Which is perfect time to change the station, they seldom are all on the same time schedule, and I can avoid commercials. With steering wheels controls it's almost a reflex when a commercial starts. :P

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know what stations or times you guys listen, but I hear maybe 3 minutes of commercials every 20 or so minutes. Which is perfect time to change the station, they seldom are all on the same time schedule, and I can avoid commercials. With steering wheels controls it's almost a reflex when a commercial starts. :P
Try NFL radio, 1 topic a little banter between the host's and back to commercials.

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
Everything with those guys is always a hassle. I expect their response to telling them I sold the vehicle would be to point out if I keep my subscription, I can continue listening on my phone. They're as bad as the long distance companies back in the '90s.

I've been listening to the thing in the new Jeep, since it's free. It really isn't any better than over-the-air radio. Instead of 45 minutes of every hour being devoted to ads for car dealerships and other crap, they devote 45 minutes of every hour to ads for GEICO, and other XM stations.

No, once I get the exhaust installed, I'll just go back to listening to my pipes. I like the sounds of pipes.

Also, you have a really nice profile photo. I love that Jeep backlit by the sun.
Right on. They can be a pain. I stumbled on the sold vehicle trick by accident when I legitimately sold a vehicle and used it ever since when dropping a subscription from them. I actually used it last night again as I sold my JK which had an active sub.

I only listen to music channels, all the ones I frequent are commercial free. few promos for other stations or special events but very non intrusive.

I do know the talk channels have commercials though. I would definitely be more annoyed if I primarily listened to those channels though.

There is a certain something about the sound of a perfectly tuned exhaust.

And thanks for the compliment on the photo. It was a very lucky shot during Jeep Beach 2019 as they let only Jeeps on the beach that morning. The tide was down early enough for us to get out there at sunrise and beach patrol wasn't as aggressive about parking near or in the water. A lot of lucky things lined up for the shot, its one of my favorite pics and my only regret was that I didnt have a real camera for it instead of a phone.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
I only listen to music channels, all the ones I frequent are commercial free. few promos for other stations or special events but very non intrusive.
Maybe I just find the promos more intrusive than you do. I'm paying up the bazoo for service, and I don't give a damn about the limited time International Polka Channel. Plus the audio cuts out every time a large bird flies overhead, to say nothing of highway underpasses, or trees.

I do know the talk channels have commercials though. I would definitely be more annoyed if I primarily listened to those channels though.
That's actually the really huge disappointment of XM. They compress the talk channels almost to the point of oblivion, and almost all of the clarity is gone. I find them intolerable, and do not listen to them.

my only regret was that I didnt have a real camera for it instead of a phone.
The other side of that coin is that you had your phone, and phone cameras are pretty good these days. I own a DSLR and some pretty nice glass, but I almost never have it when there's something to photograph. I always have my phone. They both have 12 mp image sensors. They both have pretty good image processors. It's kind of crazy how easy photography is now. I spent a lot of time photographing things where I had to adjust the exposure manually, then wait a week to see if I managed to capture any good images.

Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
I filed also but haven't heard anything. Do you know if the lifetime is still limited to 3 radio id changes? I have changed once when I got a new portable. Haven't used it in quite awhile but was thinking of upgrading to a new unit for my boat. I cant get FM with the cliffs surrounding the harbor. I have XM in my Cherokee at $30 for 6 months, just a pain to remember to renew before promo ends every time.
Set a reminder in your phone. The going rate for Select is $74.21 ($60/yr +royalties/taxes) per radio. This package also has streaming from your phone, Google home or Alexa, or PC.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
True. Lithium and PopRocks tend to not repeat the song lineup as much as Highway. Some stations are literally on a one hour loop.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
The other side of that coin is that you had your phone, and phone cameras are pretty good these days. I own a DSLR and some pretty nice glass, but I almost never have it when there's something to photograph. I always have my phone. They both have 12 mp image sensors. They both have pretty good image processors. It's kind of crazy how easy photography is now. I spent a lot of time photographing things where I had to adjust the exposure manually, then wait a week to see if I managed to capture any good images.
The cameras on cell phones are amazing compared to what they used to be. I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra, which has a 108mp image sensor and a 100x digital zoom. I didn't buy it for that but it's fun to play around with, especially on full moon nights.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra, which has a 108mp image sensor and a 100x digital zoom.
That image sensor resolution is really insane. You got me curious what I'd get if I upgraded my DSLR, and dropping $1,000+ on a new camera body would only double my megapixels, while upgrading my two year old S10+ would multiply by nine. Phone cameras are crazy! I'm sure the DSLR would make better overall use of those pixels. I inherited some extremely good glass when my mother died. Even in a Jeep though, who wants to lug around 50 pounds of glass when the thing in your pocket comes so close?

Note to self though, I need to put my binoculars in my Jeep. I've been going some places where I can see one camper trailer two ridges over that's probably in the next state, and I'd like to be able to see things better.

Side note, I heard a strange whooshing sound on my last outing, and it was a fricking bald eagle!

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
I filed also but haven't heard anything. Do you know if the lifetime is still limited to 3 radio id changes? I have changed once when I got a new portable. Haven't used it in quite awhile but was thinking of upgrading to a new unit for my boat. I cant get FM with the cliffs surrounding the harbor. I have XM in my Cherokee at $30 for 6 months, just a pain to remember to renew before promo ends every time.
I've no idea. I've changed them so many times I'm into the $75.00/change now.

Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
That image sensor resolution is really insane. You got me curious what I'd get if I upgraded my DSLR, and dropping $1,000+ on a new camera body would only double my megapixels, while upgrading my two year old S10+ would multiply by nine. Phone cameras are crazy! I'm sure the DSLR would make better overall use of those pixels. I inherited some extremely good glass when my mother died. Even in a Jeep though, who wants to lug around 50 pounds of glass when the thing in your pocket comes so close?

Note to self though, I need to put my binoculars in my Jeep. I've been going some places where I can see one camper trailer two ridges over that's probably in the next state, and I'd like to be able to see things better.

Side note, I heard a strange whooshing sound on my last outing, and it was a fricking bald eagle!
After spending some time with the S21 Ultra, the IQ is still nowhere near a DSLR. It's a great camera phone but I still need to use it in pro mode as it does some really weird stuff in other modes.

Still, I'm thinking of selling my Camera Body (Sony Alpha a7R IV) and lens.

As far as Sirius, the compression really gets me. The Alpine system sounds bad enough as it is. I accidentally tuned into an FM HD station and could tell right away the sound quality was much better, just has garbage content. I mostly use it for Howard, news, comedy, and talk.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
As far as Sirius, the compression really gets me. The Alpine system sounds bad enough as it is.
I'm glad I didn't get the Alpine system, if it also sounds bad. The standard sound in this new Jeep is comparable to my 1977 Ford truck. The truck might actually sound better, but they're both pretty bad.

I, too, had the experience of tuning into a HD radio station today. Wow. The sound system isn't actually as bad as I thought. I should probably make a USB stick with about 10,000 songs on it and stick it into the slot, and go with that.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Try NFL radio, 1 topic a little banter between the host's and back to commercials.
Yeah, NFL is pretty bad, but I only listen to certain shows on there and typically for short periods of like 20-30 minutes.

That Kars-4-Kids commercial drives me crazy. :)

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
I've no idea. I've changed them so many times I'm into the $75.00/change now.
Renewing my 2 vehicles in April that I always have to fight over price and "family plan" for 2nd radio. Online chat, they immediately offered up this same $75 out the door plan, and switched both radios to it. So much better deal over anything in their history.

It makes me wonder if they have finally adapted to "volume over cost", or seem to be matching the costs of other streaming type services. At $75 a year, I think they could get more people on board.

My 2 complaints, as a subscriber since "Rock" and "Roll" launched:
1. XM and Sirius merged, but station locations are different, they don't share the same stations completely, it still costs more to get both. They have been merged for over 5 years, how long before they are just 1 service?

2. They don't understand that "no commercials" also means no cross station promotion; I don't mind it that much, but what is bad is station identifiers. If on a long drive, I switch to 301, and then go back to beginning of recording (your presets are recorded when the vehicle is on), and then play forward, every 2 songs, you get a station clip for "Road Trip radio". I don't need that, why have it?

OP
OP
OldGuyNewJeep

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Yes. $4.99/mo for the “Sirius Select” package. They tack on a Royalty Fee, too. No avoiding that.

0DDDEA57-74AC-4081-B35C-446F0CC6C687.jpeg
Well, today was the day for my yearly dance with Sirius/XM chat. This year I agreed to $5.99/mo. So, $12 more this year than my last two, but with inflation what it is I think I got a fair deal.

Calendar reminder added for next year!
Sponsored