Sponsored

Keep an eye on Sirius/XM

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

XM's billing practices aren't the only problem. I think they've made some programming mistakes that will hurt them. They just (5/1) changed their lineup again, replacing several curated channels such as Deep Tracks with single-artist channels like Led Zeppelin. If I want to listen only to Led Zeppelin, I can do that with CarPlay. I spent my college and young adult years listening to the semi-underground FM stations in Boston, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh where real disk jockeys played real "deep track" songs, with minimal commentary and few if any ads. That was one of XM's strategic strengths--themed channels playing a variety of curated music. Single-artist channels take all of the variety out. Boo! Hiss!

I might be persuaded to drop my subscription come renewal time...
is that a permanent change? David Bowie recently took over 1st wave for 3 days
Sponsored

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I wouldn't pay these leeches a cent. FM/AM , Spotify or downloaded podcasts do the trick for me just fine.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
I don't know if these changes are permanent. They are having a free preview month during May, so all of you with inactive radios (without subscription) you can tune in. Maybe these changes are only during the preview month.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
They keep sending me emails and mail...to reconnect for free and $4.99 a month for 12 months! So any of you who still like this sort of thing , when your contract comes due tell them you are cancelling unless you can get this offer!

MKC JL

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU ,2019 Cherokee Limited
Sucks that they did that but at least one will be back to the old format in June or July. Can't remember since I only heard them say it once.

Sponsored

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
I have a question about Sirius/XM....Other than the stations (music) IS IT Required for any of the other features ?, such as that Guardian service or any other option like over air updates with UConnect or even Off Road Pages (if they even exist)....?
No everything is separate billing. It's quite a racket they have going. If you want XM radio it is separate from the Guardian which allows you to unlock your car with your phone and/or have SOS on the button and if you want wifi with AT&T it is an additional billing. So three separate accounts, three separate bills!

Now, I am not sure but if you don't pay for anything, I wonder if you would still get the GPS service? Not sure about that....

BHo

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m struggling with the most capable stock off-road production vehicle. My most recent phone call to SiriusXM Guardian regarding SOS feature use outside of mobile service areas.
The rep stated the Jeeps SOS Service is based off of mobile signal, as most of us do, we off road well outside of the mobile service area and the though of having satellite music, but NO Satellite SOS services is a bit unsettling. Iā€™m now shopping for personal location becons (PLB) like the SPOT to assure Iā€™m covered in an SOS emergency out of the mobile service area. Therefore I wonā€™t be renewing my SiriusXM Guardian subscription once the FREE service ends. Mobile phone SOS for in service areas and PBL out of service.

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m struggling with the most capable stock off-road production vehicle. My most recent phone call to SiriusXM Guardian regarding SOS feature use outside of mobile service areas.
The rep stated the Jeeps SOS Service is based off of mobile signal, as most of us do, we off road well outside of the mobile service area and the though of having satellite music, but NO Satellite SOS services is a bit unsettling. Iā€™m now shopping for personal location becons (PLB) like the SPOT to assure Iā€™m covered in an SOS emergency out of the mobile service area. Therefore I wonā€™t be renewing my SiriusXM Guardian subscription once the FREE service ends. Mobile phone SOS for in service areas and PBL out of service.
I just got the Garmin inReach+ -- the basic Security service isn't that much and you can put it on hold during the year if you don't use it. It may be something to consider.

BHo

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I just got the Garmin inReach+ -- the basic Security service isn't that much and you can put it on hold during the year if you don't use it. It may be something to consider.
Iā€™ll check it out, Thank You

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
My 1 year free SiriusXM guardian subscription ended this month, the fuckers started sending reminders 2 months ago remining me .
They send at least 2 promo letters a month, still.
Now they are calling me, it's like a zombie call center.
Its definitely not worth a subscription price for a weekend vehicle.
$30 a month to lock my doors from my cell phone, no thanks.
The xm radio is also something that we rarely used and is spotty at best , drops out all the time.

Sponsored

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
My 1 year free SiriusXM guardian subscription ended this month, the fuckers started sending reminders 2 months ago remining me .
They send at least 2 promo letters a month, still.
Now they are calling me, it's like a zombie call center.
Its definitely not worth a subscription price for a weekend vehicle.
$30 a month to lock my doors from my cell phone, no thanks.
The xm radio is also something that we rarely used and is spotty at best , drops out all the time.
I dumped them and dont miss it at all. The FM stations now have HD and it honestly sounds better than Sirius. My Sirius sounded terrible, like a tinny radio. Who the hell is going to pay for that? Not me...They need to get real about their pricing. I would pay maybe $5/month, no more...Plus you have Apple Play..

OP
OP
OldGuyNewJeep

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I've been a Sirius subscriber since 2006 when Howard moved there from FM. They have always been shady with regard to their pricing. After the first year or two I figured out the the price is VERY negotiable. Every year I play the same game: the subscription comes up for renewal, I call to cancel, they offer me a dirt cheap deal to stay onboard (after 10 painful minutes with someone who barely speaks English).

Well, this year I didn't bother to call. My credit card number changed months ago (fraudulent activity), so I figured I'd save myself some hassle and not call. I'm not driving anywhere these days and, after all, they can't charge a credit card that they don't have, right? WRONG! As it turns out, when a bank issues you a new card due to fraud they (automagically) notify companies that the number has changed. I guess that's convenient, though it doesn't work everywhere...

Long story short, I noticed a $30 change on my card this morning. Went to their website and see they automatically moved me to a month-to-month plan and they have my new credit card info. I wonder how often they get away with this and no one notices?

I'm happy to say they will now negotiate over chat, which is 1000% easier than calling. No more language barrier, and it was pretty simple:

robot: how can i help you?
me: cancel
robot: why?
me: cancel
robot now a person named Will: why do you want to cancel?
me: TBH I don't, really. Let's save us both some time - just reverse that $30 and put me back to the $5.99/mo I was paying before and we're good for another year.
will: ok!

12 more months of crappy sound quality and a limited music library for me. Whoo hoo! (Yes, I have and use Spotify, but there's just something about having grown up with radio that keeps me listening.)

Maybe this year they'll fix their algorithm so that when the Eagles plays on Station #1 they don't then play them on 4 other stations within a minute. Would be great if they licensed a second Aerosmith song, too. "Back in the Saddle" is getting a bit stale. I sure do hope they keep playing Jackyl on Ozzy's Boneyard, though... I mean, who doesn't love Jackyl?? ;)
Itā€™s that time of year! šŸ˜‚

Last year I actually created a recurring calendar event to remind me to do this stupid dance. 15 mins of chatting and I have another 12 months at the same rate.

What a joke, but the online chat doesnā€™t take much effort... I just do it during a boring work meeting.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Itā€™s that time of year! šŸ˜‚

Last year I actually created a recurring calendar event to remind me to do this stupid dance. 15 mins of chatting and I have another 12 months at the same rate.

What a joke, but the online chat doesnā€™t take much effort... I just do it during a boring work meeting.
What rate did you get? I'm due for year 3 in a couple of months. I was able to argue to keep the $6 deal for year 2.

Last edited:

BHo

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I find satellite radio VERY useful in my jeep! Iā€™m typically using my jeep outside of radio reception and mobile service in remote areas and really do enjoy uninterrupted satellite radio broadcasts. But, I do understand some Jeeps donā€™t leave the city radio reception/mobile service areas wherein Iā€™d say, ā€œyesā€ satellite radio is pointless for your application.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Another tip is to use privacy.com. You can sign up with a direct link to your checking account, but generate virtual credit cards where you can set limits on them and cancel them anytime. I've pretty much use them all the time to prevent my credit card numbers from getting stolen and setting limits or one time uses on the cards.
Sponsored