Keep an eye on Sirius/XM

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I've been a Sirius subscriber since 2006 when Howard moved there from FM. They have always been shady with regard to their pricing. After the first year or two I figured out the the price is VERY negotiable. Every year I play the same game: the subscription comes up for renewal, I call to cancel, they offer me a dirt cheap deal to stay onboard (after 10 painful minutes with someone who barely speaks English).

Well, this year I didn't bother to call. My credit card number changed months ago (fraudulent activity), so I figured I'd save myself some hassle and not call. I'm not driving anywhere these days and, after all, they can't charge a credit card that they don't have, right? WRONG! As it turns out, when a bank issues you a new card due to fraud they (automagically) notify companies that the number has changed. I guess that's convenient, though it doesn't work everywhere...

Long story short, I noticed a $30 change on my card this morning. Went to their website and see they automatically moved me to a month-to-month plan and they have my new credit card info. I wonder how often they get away with this and no one notices?

I'm happy to say they will now negotiate over chat, which is 1000% easier than calling. No more language barrier, and it was pretty simple:

robot: how can i help you?
me: cancel
robot: why?
me: cancel
robot now a person named Will: why do you want to cancel?
me: TBH I don't, really. Let's save us both some time - just reverse that $30 and put me back to the $5.99/mo I was paying before and we're good for another year.
will: ok!

12 more months of crappy sound quality and a limited music library for me. Whoo hoo! (Yes, I have and use Spotify, but there's just something about having grown up with radio that keeps me listening.)

Maybe this year they'll fix their algorithm so that when the Eagles plays on Station #1 they don't then play them on 4 other stations within a minute. Would be great if they licensed a second Aerosmith song, too. "Back in the Saddle" is getting a bit stale. I sure do hope they keep playing Jackyl on Ozzy's Boneyard, though... I mean, who doesn't love Jackyl?? ;)
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i'm up at the end of may and looking into renewing since xm has a better selection to choose from then the fm. i'm looking at the $99 a year. add the tax it like $120. so that $10 / month. thats not a bad deal. i'm also thinking of just mailing in the payment vs doing it online.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
What turns me off is the commercials on sports talk channels. I wouldn't mind a few here and there. I pay a subscription and have to get a batch of commercials every 5 minutes? Real turn off.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I renewed after my free 1 year subscription that came with my '15 JKU. I never gave my CC info and asked them to send me an invoice, which they surprisingly did without issue. When I bought my '20 JLU in February, I called to cancel my active subscription and continue with the free 1 year sub that came with the JLU. Again, SiriusXM did so without any issues. I plan on renewing after, and will once again ask to be invoiced rather than give my CC info.

OP
OP
OldGuyNewJeep

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i'm up at the end of may and looking into renewing since xm has a better selection to choose from then the fm. i'm looking at the $99 a year. add the tax it like $120. so that $10 / month. thats not a bad deal. i'm also thinking of just mailing in the payment vs doing it online.
If you don’t want Howard (I grew tired of him years ago) and don’t need the streaming app you can get them down to $5/mo. Tell them their sound quality is compressed and you would rather pay for premium Spotify. They’ll make an offer...

$10/mo is still a good deal for what you get, I think. I do enjoy some of the talk radio and the reception is excellent in my neck of the woods.

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
Maybe this year they'll fix their algorithm so that when the Eagles plays on Station #1 they don't then play them on 4 other stations within a minute. Would be great if they licensed a second Aerosmith song, too. "Back in the Saddle" is getting a bit stale. I sure do hope they keep playing Jackyl on Ozzy's Boneyard, though... I mean, who doesn't love Jackyl?? ;)
Not the constant nugent motorhead dio scorpions sabbath they normally play?

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
What turns me off is the commercials on sports talk channels. I wouldn't mind a few here and there. I pay a subscription and have to get a batch of commercials every 5 minutes? Real turn off.

yeah, never like the commercials either. however, the xm commercials arent that bad compared with the fm commercials. the fm side of things seems like 5 to 10 commercials.to 2 to 3 songs. i get it, commercials sponsors the radio station, however too many is overkill.

OP
OP
OldGuyNewJeep

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not the constant nugent motorhead dio scorpions sabbath they normally play?
Right? It gets really old... and not just the band rotation, but the songs. It has to be licensing issues (i.e. they won’t pay for whole artist catalogue).

I think 80% of the time I turn to Ozzy’s Boneyard it’s Scorpion’s “Blackout.” I can’t change the channel fast enough when I see it!

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
@OldGuyNewJeep do you really pay $5 per month?

This is my first vehicle with satellite radio. I do like it so far and can see myself using it going forward but not at $30/mo and not at $15 and not at $10/month. $5? Probably.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
If you don’t want Howard (I grew tired of him years ago) and don’t need the streaming app you can get them down to $5/mo. Tell them their sound quality is compressed and you would rather pay for premium Spotify. They’ll make an offer...

$10/mo is still a good deal for what you get, I think. I do enjoy some of the talk radio and the reception is excellent in my neck of the woods.

never was a howard listener during the fm days. i would consider in lowering the bill. the only thing is that the last time i called, to see if i can get the nascar station with a lower plan. they said no. i would love to do a selected plan and pay for it that way. the only stations i listen to is nascar, all of countrry most of rock including lithium.

either way $10 /month is good.
Sponsored