Sponsored

KC RACK LED LIGHT BAR WIRING INSTALL DIY WRITEUP

After rack lighting install, Do you plan to ever remove the top?

• Total voters

TJMJLWRANGLER

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ethanfickling.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S Wrangler
Occupation
Automotive Design Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Wired up my KC Rack Lights.
This is how I routed the wiring through the hard top and to the battery.
1. Drill hole in hardtop to match (or 1/8th smaller ) than the wire conduit.
2. Conduit / tape wiring up to the hole.
3. Silicon conduit and wiring at the hole.
4. Pull 10 - 12 inches of wiring through. (cut if running disconnects for roof removal),
4.a. Remove foot plate, lower b pillar plastic trim, upper seat belt and grab handle, then remove upper trim and speaker cover / crossover trim.
5. Measure out the wining length needed to run to the back wheel arch wiring rubber inlet and then back up to battery. Be Generous so you have enough left over to cut some off. There is a Negative spike at the rear of the right hand side foot skid once removed. Either terminate negative here / or run full length to the battery.
6. Run the wires as shown to avoid seat belt interference.
7. run wires to rear wheel arch and exit through the existing rubber wiring connector.
8. Run wires above chassis and back up to battery.
9. If you wish to run disconnects for the top removal, I used these,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NEWBGR2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Make sure you leave the supply battery positive as the protected wire when disconnected.

Use all other common sense for the wiring, including the use of wiring relays, fuses, etc. This is really just a quick help for those looking for a neat way to hide the wires from the roof into the cab.

Hint, you can run the wires to the (passenger/rhs) outside of the battery and up. Much easier to run if the inner fender flare is removed.

I will do a separate write up / youtube video on how to do a $20 budget wireless controller that can even be activated with your factory fey fob.

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

a6a.jpg

a7.jpg

a8.jpg

a10.jpg

a11.jpg

aa.jpg

aa1.jpg

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

b5.jpg

IMG_20181109_102054.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
TJMJLWRANGLER

TJMJLWRANGLER

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ethanfickling.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S Wrangler
Occupation
Automotive Design Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Stopped reading after "drill".
No thanks.
It took my 2 days of stressing about drilling holes for the rack. After I just went with it and installed the rack, then drilling an extra hole for the wiring seemed minor in nature. If you are looking at racks that you don't have to drill any holes in the hardtop, then you will probably find you neeed to make other compromises with altering the car.
Gets easier once you have stripped a few brand new cars. I usually do a new one before SEMA every year.