Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon

J.Ralston

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited.
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Law Enforcement, Self Defense/Firearms Trainer, Professional Musician, Off Road Enthusiast.

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you! I’ll have to check those out.
He’s right. Full list of mods in my build thread too. Lights are LED KC Daylighters.

sfowler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Willys
I have LP9's in front. Driving out in Utah when its midnight - these lights will light up the road for a mile or more. They actually turn night into day. Who needs a deer running out in front of you with poor lights on your Jeep in the middle of the night? Not me. These are beautiful light as well. They cost more than KC's but as the old saying goes - you get what you pay for. This is even better than those light-bars that make all that ridiculous noise above the windshield. There is nothing better out there. Cant go wrong with LP9's.

106903209_2891383327653961_1618907732823359508_n.jpg

107295049_2891376890987938_5157743497253836138_n.jpg

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

If you compare them apples to apples, you are going to get brighter lights from Baja Designs every time except with the rock lights.

The KC Cyclones are amazing and I plan to go with them if/when I put rock lights on my JL. All other lights will be Baja Designs for me.

As others have mentioned, the quality should be great with both and if it doesn’t matter how much light they’re putting out then go with what you like the look of better.

Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
I think Baja Designs lights are of obviously better quality. Their support totally eclipses any lights in the industry though. I had a 55" light bar on my JK for about 4 years before ordering my JL. I was never a fan of the wind noise of the light bar though, so I decided to sell the lightbar when I traded the Jeep and get some bumper mounted lights instead. I noticed that the powdercoat had turned copperish over the years on the light bar. I contacted Baja Designs to see what they recommended to use to return it to color. They offered to just allow me to swap it towards a set of their LP9 Pro's. I ordered the lights and reaiized after ordering that I got the amber rather than white. It was my mistake but when I contacted me they offered to send me a set of white lenses for the LP9 Pros so that i had both color lenses. The lights themselves have been phenomenal as are the Squadron Pro fogs. The only issue I've had with the LP9's has been that I've noticed that when I turn the low beams on sometimes they turn on the full light rather than the limited low beams. I thought at first it was my wiring, but it looks like it's something internal. Not a big deal since I pretty much never run them on low beam. They are like carrying daylight on your front bumper.

Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLites vs Baja Designs PXL_20210722_013258498-L

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
Thank you guys for the nice words! Always a bummer to see the knockoffs like those fake LPs (don't even like calling them that), but most people worth their salt know these are not on the same level.

There are great manufactures out there that we would happily back and suggest if you do not find BD lights to be your cup of tea. KC and some of the others out there make solid products. These knock off companies on the other hand do nothing but steal designs, steal marketing material, inflate specs, and won't ever stand behind their product because they all eventually get shut down by customs and IP Enforcement. The prices are attractive, but at the end of the day you are hurting companies that have spent years helping to grow an industry we all care about.

Anywayy, thanks again for the support you guys. Please let me know if you ever have product or tech questions I can help with.

<3

WannFly

First Name
Priyo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4Xe - ordered, 2019 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber security
I was researching the same and from this thread looks like BD it is. for people running LP9 on their bull bar over the winch - anyone has a trail cam ? wondering if the LP 9 would block the camera view completely?

superdude

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Sport
Check these out! Lmao 🤣 These will go great with my fake pair of Gucci shoes!

3BA05D3D-38DC-4BCB-ADDC-A4DDB534102D.jpeg
I have been eyeballing these, because I like the look, and don't want to spend $1000+ (on the low end) to, as some have said here, "light up the night".

Anybody take the plunge?

Side note: It would be cool if BD sold the bracket for the fog light pocket kit separately, as I would like to mount some Squadron knockoffs in the fog light pocket.

I promise I would support BD/KC if money was easier for me to come by.

Sponsored

Overland Utah

First Name
Caden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have been eyeballing these, because I like the look, and don't want to spend $1000+ (on the low end) to, as some have said here, "light up the night".

Anybody take the plunge?

Side note: It would be cool if BD sold the bracket for the fog light pocket kit separately, as I would like to mount some Squadron knockoffs in the fog light pocket.
If you're going for looks then they would be a good option but based on the review pictures, they seem to be a much lower output than any of the quality options mentioned here. I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped working after 1 good pressure wash.

superdude

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Sport
If you're going for looks then they would be a good option but based on the review pictures, they seem to be a much lower output than any of the quality options mentioned here. I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped working after 1 good pressure wash.
I am absolutely going for looks, but I am also just as capable of reading the Amazon reviews and looking at the pictures. Hoping for some hands-on experience from a fellow cheapskate.

nsfw_andy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue JLUR Ecodiesel
I am absolutely going for looks, but I am also just as capable of reading the Amazon reviews and looking at the pictures. Hoping for some hands-on experience from a fellow cheapskate.
I tested the knock off squadrons and had real ones to compare to. The light output on the knockoffs suck and they have a greenish tint to the output rather than pure yellow like real Bajas.

I havent tried the knockoff LP6/lp9 but I assume it will have the same issues.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

Anybody take the plunge?

I promise I would support BD/KC if money was easier for me to come by.
They won't look so good when they rust out and the finish fades. BD Designs lights won't do that, but if they did, they'd replace them or rebuild them for free.

superdude

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Sport
They won't look so good when they rust out and the finish fades. BD Designs lights won't do that, but if they did, they'd replace them or rebuild them for free.
Redundancy of "BD Designs" notwithstanding, you're probably correct. However, you have not used the product in question, nor do you seem to have any direct experience with it. Point being, your opinion isn't super helpful here.

I tested the knock off squadrons and had real ones to compare to. The light output on the knockoffs suck and they have a greenish tint to the output rather than pure yellow like real Bajas.

I havent tried the knockoff LP6/lp9 but I assume it will have the same issues.
Yes, I would expect that. With several incarnations of the knockoff squadrons available, I'm willing to test these out to save ~$500. Amazon's return policy is the shrewd online shopper's friend.

Again, in a different life, BD everything.
Sponsored

Last edited: