KC HiLites vs Baja Designs

jigamanz

First Name
Jeegs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Jeep JLUR, 14' Mazda 3 Sport GT, 09' Acura RDX
I have both companies products. I likely would have went fully Baja Designs, however the LP6 were simply too large of a body to fit where I wanted them. They now have the LP4 which probably would work out, but I'm already down this road ... maybe someday?

I feel the quality of detail and workmanship is better with Baja Designs.

I will say the rebate offering from the company fell through for me, I never received the 10% forum discount, or a $50 rebate during Black Friday, despite multiple inquiries.

lights.jpg
What kind of mount is that? And is that the Warn mid height bull bar? I think I have the same one. This is the setup I’m looking to go with! Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
What kind of mount is that? And is that the Warn mid height bull bar? I think I have the same one. This is the setup I’m looking to go with! Thanks in advance!
Yes its the mid height bar, along with a light bar bracket that I designed.

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable

Sponsored

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
You selling/producing more? Lol
I had it made at a sheet metal vendor, it wouldn't be the most economical choice unless I made more than one.

Alex_noah

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Lighting is next on my to-do list. Seems like the obvious options are KC and Baja Designs. There is not a lot of comparison between the 2. People tend to be one way or the other. Most of the YouTubers are sponsored one way or the other. Whatever I pick, I want to be uniform and do all my lighting with the same brand.

What are the pros and cons of each???

Looking to do A-pillar, some sort of bumper lights, rock lights... unknown after that.

Thanks,
Mike

I’m trying to get light pods for my wrangler JL but cant decide either to get the KC® FLEX ERA® 4 or baja design LP4 both look great would anyone know which give off better lighting? And which look better?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I’m trying to get light pods for my wrangler JL but cant decide either to get the KC® FLEX ERA® 4 or baja design LP4 both look great would anyone know which give off better lighting? And which look better?
Looks are subjective, but I've not found brighter LED's than Baja Designs. They are top tier lights and are the preferred choice of off road racers who are not sponsored by light companies.

KC has been making some really neat new stuff lately, though.

I'd also look at Rigid Industries. They have very good output for the money. Both they and Baja Designs use housings and paint that don't deteriorate or fade or dull like cheaper lights. I can't speak for KC's higher end lights.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
I'm running the BD LP9 Pro's on my Jeep. I've tried other lights and there simply aren't anything that compare to them. Phenomenal lighting, near, far and to the side. Definitely the best looking too.
i-Kg52n9g-X3.jpg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm running the BD LP9 Pro's on my Jeep. I've tried other lights and there simply aren't anything that compare to them. Phenomenal lighting, near, far and to the side. Definitely the best looking too.
i-Kg52n9g-X3.jpg
I have seen full width 50" light bars that don't put out as much light as those. I think they are the LP9 is the king, period. The Lp6's on my Jeep are mind blowing, but I sometimes wish I'd gone ahead and done the LP9. Those look great!

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One note to those looking at LED lights......If you have the LED headlights on your JL and live in snow country, your lights can easily freeze over. The Baja Designs LP6 and LP9 and even probably the newer LP4 generate enough heat to melt ice/snow. The LP6 and LP9 low beams even do that, making them great emergency back-ups to your hedlights in the winter.

I can't speak for KC on that issue. Most LED's do not put out enough heat to melt ice/snow, including the Rigid Industries lights I've got.

Faresalsal

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL / 2012 Mustang Boss302 / 1998 Cherokee Sport
I personally love BD, the quality of the lights is amazing and the looks of the products is great.
They are pricey BUT definitely worth the money. and sometimes their website is not clear if parts are in stock or not and you end up waiting a long time to get your order but it is understandable with all the covid-19 stuff.

something alot of people dont talk about is the harness options they provide. they are top notch and honestly some of the best quality materials i've seen ever!

i once had an issue with a harness with a fuse, the fuse was not touching the insides because of the rubber material the fuse holder is made out of.. ended burning the rubber and i had to chase the smell for a week. but it might be an error from my side because i removed the fuse and put it back in before installing.

SC_Paco

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLites vs Baja Designs i-Kg52n9g-X3
Looks awesome!!! Do you know if the LP9 Sports have the amber running lights too?

BCFRJeeper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Wrangler YJ 2020 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired Navy
I got my Squadron Sports mounted. Super easy process with the Mopar factory aux switches. Love the mounting location and the look of the lights. You can definitely tell its quality stuff.

I need to get some pics with the lights on. However, it hasn't been dark enough when I'm up to get the real impact.

Initial impressions... I ordered the wrong lens for an A-pillar mount. I ordered the amber spot/driving combo lenses. They put off a lot of light, but the driving portion of the combo is too much off the hood. Especially in amber. It just reflects back in the cab and you don't get an impression of any additional light outside. I think I'm going to order spot lenses and see if that is better. I may also order in clear and add the amber rock covers. I'm not sure the amber light that high off the ground is as helpful as if it was down lower.

Live and learn I guess. I should have done more research. I actually thought the amber lights came with both lenses since they cost 10$ more than the clear. Obviously that is not true.

Rubicon - BD Lights 1.jpg
I have seen people use black magnet sheets cut to the look that they want to fix this. I actually rode in a buddies Jeep that was done this way and it really did help and helped separate his Jeep from everyone else.

J.Ralston

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited.
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Law Enforcement, Self Defense/Firearms Trainer, Professional Musician, Off Road Enthusiast.
Hey
I think it’s going to come down to the look you prefer - the Baja lights are going for the modern (i.e. obviously LED, you can see the separate elements) design, KC are going for a more traditional (I.e. it doesn’t look obvious that it’s LED) design in most of their lights - there are definitely exceptions to this.

I’ve gone with KC as I’m after a more retro look on my JL...LED Daylighters up front, Cyclones under the hood and a pair of C3’s in the rear.

Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLites vs Baja Designs i-Kg52n9g-X3
what bull bar, mounting bracket for your off road lights and specific off road lights did you buy and where did you get all of those things at?
Thank you!
Jay
Sponsored