Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
  • Banned
Lighting is next on my to-do list. Seems like the obvious options are KC and Baja Designs. There is not a lot of comparison between the 2. People tend to be one way or the other. Most of the YouTubers are sponsored one way or the other. Whatever I pick, I want to be uniform and do all my lighting with the same brand.

What are the pros and cons of each???

Looking to do A-pillar, some sort of bumper lights, rock lights... unknown after that.

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
I think it’s going to come down to the look you prefer - the Baja lights are going for the modern (i.e. obviously LED, you can see the separate elements) design, KC are going for a more traditional (I.e. it doesn’t look obvious that it’s LED) design in most of their lights - there are definitely exceptions to this.

I’ve gone with KC as I’m after a more retro look on my JL...LED Daylighters up front, Cyclones under the hood and a pair of C3’s in the rear.

9EB39E1A-1ED9-4E31-B90E-7B4955FA30AF.jpeg

timyork1989

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Diesel
Build Thread
Link
I put a Baja Designs 10” lightbar on, and had some trouble initially with the wiring. I sent a message to their tech support at about 9 PM and had a reply by 9 the next morning. I’ve also seen them pretty active here in the forums, watching for issues people are having, so I give a huge pro to their customer support. A con would be they don’t really have anything that is JL or even Jeep specific (In the sense that the wiring harness I ended up using was for a Ford), but they know their market and have the knowledge to get you where you’re trying to go with their products. Hope this helps.
Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLites vs Baja Designs F0DE9C42-D6B1-40BF-BE60-DABBE6EEC16C

DrJoeSchmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR and a 2015 JK
I don't think there's really any pros or cons to mention. Both companies make high-quality lights with different designs to choose from, depending on the look that you are going for.

I run Rigid Industries cube lights and Mopar driving lights on my JK (I'm very happy with the setup), and I run a combination of Rigid, KC, and Baja Designs on the JL. Other than price and looks, I don't think there's much difference in quality and performance. I'm trying to go for a more subtle light looks on the JL so that was my motivation for choosing what I did.

I don't think there's any difference in wiring either. They all have similar harnesses that come with them, and I usually cut half of it off anyway.

Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLites vs Baja Designs Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 3.51.45 PM

Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLites vs Baja Designs Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 3.52.11 PM

Sponsored

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I have 2 sets of Rigids, 1 set of Baja Designs, & 2 sets of KC’s. I like them all, but the quality of KC’s is a notch below the other 2. The insulation on the wiring is so poor that it will melt through when heat shrinking a connection (I’ve never had that happen before). The price was right though, $350 for the Slimlight LEDs was a good value (Also have 2 cyclones under the hood)..

Miloe

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I wanted individual 6" round led lights and greatly preferred something with a single element look (as opposed to multiple CREE showing). Didn't leave me much choice. I hope to have it all wired up this weekend or next, depending on when lights 7 & 8 ship in.

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
I put a Baja Designs 10” lightbar on, and had some trouble initially with the wiring. I sent a message to their tech support at about 9 PM and had a reply by 9 the next morning. I’ve also seen them pretty active here in the forums, watching for issues people are having, so I give a huge pro to their customer support. A con would be they don’t really have anything that is JL or even Jeep specific (In the sense that the wiring harness I ended up using was for a Ford), but they know their market and have the knowledge to get you where you’re trying to go with their products. Hope this helps.
Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLites vs Baja Designs Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 3.52.11 PM
We appreciate the honest review! Stay tuned for the JL, we have some new kits in the works. ;)

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
Lighting is next on my to-do list. Seems like the obvious options are KC and Baja Designs. There is not a lot of comparison between the 2. People tend to be one way or the other. Most of the YouTubers are sponsored one way or the other. Whatever I pick, I want to be uniform and do all my lighting with the same brand.

Looking to do A-pillar, some sort of bumper lights, rock lights... unknown after that.

Thanks,
Mike
Let me know if you have any questions on our brand or product, I would be happy to assist! :like:

-Paul M.

Focker

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ducati.ms
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
General Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think there's really any pros or cons to mention. Both companies make high-quality lights with different designs to choose from, depending on the look that you are going for.

I run Rigid Industries cube lights and Mopar driving lights on my JK (I'm very happy with the setup), and I run a combination of Rigid, KC, and Baja Designs on the JL. Other than price and looks, I don't think there's much difference in quality and performance. I'm trying to go for a more subtle light looks on the JL so that was my motivation for choosing what I did.

I don't think there's any difference in wiring either. They all have similar harnesses that come with them, and I usually cut half of it off anyway.

How do you like the output and quality of light on the KC Flex Bar you have on front? My wife is installing one this week and I am curious how it will work out for her.

Sponsored

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts

Thanks,
Mike
I have both companies products. I likely would have went fully Baja Designs, however the LP6 were simply too large of a body to fit where I wanted them. They now have the LP4 which probably would work out, but I'm already down this road ... maybe someday?

I feel the quality of detail and workmanship is better with Baja Designs.

I will say the rebate offering from the company fell through for me, I never received the 10% forum discount, or a $50 rebate during Black Friday, despite multiple inquiries.

Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLites vs Baja Designs lights

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
I have both companies products. I likely would have went fully Baja Designs, however the LP6 were simply too large of a body to fit where I wanted them. They now have the LP4 which probably would work out, but I'm already down this road ... maybe someday?

I feel the quality of detail and workmanship is better with Baja Designs.

I will say the rebate offering from the company fell through for me, I never received the 10% forum discount, or a $50 rebate during Black Friday, despite multiple inquiries.

Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLites vs Baja Designs lights
Sorry to hear that there was some issues in communication about the rebate deal, PM inbound.

DrJoeSchmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR and a 2015 JK
How do you like the output and quality of light on the KC Flex Bar you have on front? My wife is installing one this week and I am curious how it will work out for her.
I have the amber cover on it so I'm not sure if I'm seeing the true output. When compared to the Baja Designs they're not very bright. The quality of the lights seems to be very high.

People (including myself) seem to have a need to turn night into day. The KCs won't do that, but they will provide a significant boost in light on the trail or a dark road. I hope this helps.

Edit: I had the LP6 lights and those are extremely bright. I recently sold them as I was going to a different look, but I would highly recommend them to someone looking for a larger light that wants high output.