Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A
1633008641969.png

What coffee do you guys prefer ? A lot of good ones out there!
I just got a couple of bags at the Expo West. Ground Pounder Coffee!
Sponsored

Parratt

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUD, 1988 MJ, 2010 XK (Sold)
51631775439_b2290af11d_o.jpg

Well a KC Light fell off! Ouups! Any suggestions for what other lights to add to this rig?

OP
OP
KC HiLiTES

KC HiLiTES

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT, 1969 Wagoneer
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lighting Adventures Since 1970
Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLiTES Is Officially Joining The JL Wranglers Forum Community 51631775439_b2290af11d_o

Well a KC Light fell off! Ouups! Any suggestions for what other lights to add to this rig?
Oh no! How did it fall off, what light mount is that on your bull bar? Sorry to hear it fell off, does it still work? There are many options on lights. I can help you fine tune the search. Are you looking for new lights on bull bar, or a-pillar, overhead, rock lights?

Parratt

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUD, 1988 MJ, 2010 XK (Sold)
Oh no! How did it fall off, what light mount is that on your bull bar? Sorry to hear it fell off, does it still work? There are many options on lights. I can help you fine tune the search. Are you looking for new lights on bull bar, or a-pillar, overhead, rock lights?
My guess is the loctite on the rugged ridge x-Clamp screw wasnt enough and vibrations. i think the light still works but my covers are cracked up! havent tested it TBH! i want to run Rock/Ditch lights. probably cyclones for that. and i want some more front lights. most likely a pair of spot Flex LEDS near the winch. and C-Series C2 Floods somewhere.

OP
OP
KC HiLiTES

KC HiLiTES

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
My guess is the loctite on the rugged ridge x-Clamp screw wasnt enough and vibrations. i think the light still works but my covers are cracked up! havent tested it TBH! i want to run Rock/Ditch lights. probably cyclones for that. and i want some more front lights. most likely a pair of spot Flex LEDS near the winch. and C-Series C2 Floods somewhere.
Nice! I will send you a private message and see if I can help out.

Sponsored

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
Not sure if this has been asked before. I have a pro-6 bar with 8 lights. Want to cover 4 with opaque and 4 with amber. Is it OK to turn on with the opaque covers?

OP
OP
KC HiLiTES

KC HiLiTES

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Not sure if this has been asked before. I have a pro-6 bar with 8 lights. Want to cover 4 with opaque and 4 with amber. Is it OK to turn on with the opaque covers?
Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLiTES Is Officially Joining The JL Wranglers Forum Community 1636038019674

Sure can. They don't get hot enough to melt the covers. I run two ambers on my 8 light bar. The entire bar is wired together. So it is all on with the black out covers on.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Hi @KC HiLiTES , my son works for an auto parts store and I picked up a set of the 6" Apollo Pro #150 spot lights. My JL has the standard halogen lights up front, so I figured the Apollos would match well.

I don't go off-roading at night (the offroad parks are 3 hours away, so we're coming home at night), but we do drive on fairly deserted mountain roads up in upstate NY and VT where there is very little lighting on the road. I'd like to throw some light further down the road and to the sides a bit to make it easier to spot deer and moose. In your opinion, what's the best location to mount these spot lights - on the front bumper, or up on the cowl? Is there a lot of glare on the hood with a cowl-mounted spot light?

Last edited:
OP
OP
KC HiLiTES

KC HiLiTES

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hi @KC HiLiTES , my son works for an auto parts store and I picked up a set of the 6" Apollo Pro #150 spot lights. My JL has the standard halogen lights up front, so I figured the Apollos would match well.

I don't go off-roading at night (the offroad parks are 3 hours away, so we're coming home at night), but we do drive on fairly deserted mountain roads up in upstate NY and VT where there is very little lighting on the road. I'd like to throw some light further down the road and to the sides a bit to make it easier to spot deer and moose. In your opinion, what's the best location to mount these spot lights - on the front bumper, or up on the cowl? Is there a lot of glare on the hood with a cowl-mounted spot light?
Hello Steve,
Thanks for reaching out.

Spots are great for shooting down the trail further, but the draw back is it is a very narrow beam. Spots are great for both front bumper and cowl. Spots will give less hood glare vs other beams that are wider. A way to combat hood glare is to add a matt black hood decal similar to the Jeep Recon models or the Trail Hawk models. @pixeldecals has a version you can add.

For hitting the sides or angled out to keeping a look out for deer or moose crossing, you would want something wider than spots to cover a wider spread. I've had several deer jump out on the road in front of me. Its good to see them coming.

A good set up would be Spots on cowl and Driving/Spread/Wide40 on front bumper angled out.
Another good set up that I personally ran, would be Spots on bumper and on my cowl with a Wide40 beam that was angled really out to the sides. Basically making a backwards V shape with the beams. Having the point at the front of the Jeep.

Here is some info below on beams and diagrams showing their spread. Hope this all helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

--------------------------------------------------
Fog Beams: A true fog beam projects a beam pattern that is very wide horizontally (often 135 degrees or wider) but has a sharp vertical cut-off. Fog lights are intended to be mounted below the headlights(e.g. 10-24 inches above the ground) and are designed to shine below layers of fog, rain, snow, and even dust. This pattern lights up a pathway close to the ground but does not light the airborne particles in the line of sight while driving. These also only illuminate a short range distance from the vehicle and will not throw light very far. If you’re often driving in foggy, rainy, snowy, or dusty conditions, then fog beam light will greatly benefit your visibility.

fogbeam-patters_blog-jpg.jpg

Wide-40 Beams: Lights that feature a Wide-40 beam are a hybrid between a fog beam and a driving beam light. They have a wide pattern, but also have increased brightness and light distance compared to a fog light pattern but do not have quite as much distance as a driving beam light. These are typically not street legal so they are a good option for you if you want something for off-road use only that has a very bright, and wide beam.

widebeam-patters_blog-jpg.jpg

Driving Beams/Spread: Lights with a driving beam pattern are designed to supplement your high beam headlights and illuminate a path much further down the road. Driving Lights produce a rectangular shaped beam pattern that can reach further and wider than your headlights. Sometimes, depending on the manufacturer, a light with a driving beam pattern is not street legal and therefore cannot be used on roadways and when there is oncoming traffic. However, KC’s LED Driving lights all comply with both SAE and ECE regulations, while meeting street legal standards mandated by the Department of Transportation (DOT). Driving lights are very useful to create visibility near the sides of roadways and areas directly in front of the vehicle. They are great for all around trail riding as well. Spread beam lights are similar to driving beams but tend to be brighter, wider and sometimes taller as they are not required to follow specific SAE or ECE safety standards. Spread beam lights are great lights for multi-purpose off-road use and offer versatile, balanced lighting.

drivingbeam-patters_blog-jpg.jpg

spreadbeam-patters_blog-jpg.jpg

Spot Beams (Long Range): Spot or Long Range lights are able to penetrate deep into the night. Lights that have a spot beam pattern produce a tighter, more focused circular beam of light (often called a pencil beam) that reaches far down the road to see way out ahead toward the horizon even at higher speeds. Because this light pattern is very narrow, there is not much light on the sides. Spot beam lights are best when paired with other beam patterns to fill the areas closer to the vehicle, for a complete area of light beam coverage. Vital to the performance of these lights is where they are aimed.

spotbeam-patters_blog-jpg.jpg

Flood Beams: Flood beams are nearly the opposite of a spot beam and they create a wide, evenly distributed pattern of light that floods an area with an extremely tall vertical and wide horizontal light pattern. Due to the light being evenly distributed across a large area, they often are not very intense which proves beneficial in reducing glare when reflected off nearby objects around the vehicle. These lights are typically used as work lights, scene lights, and back-up lights to see a broader area at shorter distances. Construction and agricultural type vehicles often use these types of lights.

floodbeam-patters_blog-jpg.jpg

Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Hello Steve,
Thanks for reaching out.

Spots are great for shooting down the trail further, but the draw back is it is a very narrow beam. Spots are great for both front bumper and cowl. Spots will give less hood glare vs other beams that are wider. A way to combat hood glare is to add a matt black hood decal similar to the Jeep Recon models or the Trail Hawk models. @pixeldecals has a version you can add.

For hitting the sides or angled out to keeping a look out for deer or moose crossing, you would want something wider than spots to cover a wider spread. I've had several deer jump out on the road in front of me. Its good to see them coming.

A good set up would be Spots on cowl and Driving/Spread/Wide40 on front bumper angled out.
Another good set up that I personally ran, would be Spots on bumper and on my cowl with a Wide40 beam that was angled really out to the sides. Basically making a backwards V shape with the beams. Having the point at the front of the Jeep.
Hi Kevin, thanks for the detailed response! I'll go with your suggestion, and will pick up a pair of the KC cowl brackets and mount the spots up there, then add a set of spread beam Apollos on the front bumper in the future. I won't need the lights often (we go up a few times a year) but I need to be prepared. I'm looking forward to getting these mounted and wired up!

OP
OP
KC HiLiTES

KC HiLiTES

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
OP
OP
KC HiLiTES

KC HiLiTES

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hi Kevin, thanks for the detailed response! I'll go with your suggestion, and will pick up a pair of the KC cowl brackets and mount the spots up there, then add a set of spread beam Apollos on the front bumper in the future. I won't need the lights often (we go up a few times a year) but I need to be prepared. I'm looking forward to getting these mounted and wired up!
Awesome! Glad I was able to help out. Let me know if you need help anything else.

NJ2656

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green JL Rubicon
@ KC HiLites I was wondering on your recommendation for running fogs and driving/spots? Is it better to run the fogs low and wide in the factory spots or would they be better served on top of the bumper and spots in the bumper?

OP
OP
KC HiLiTES

KC HiLiTES

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
@ KC HiLites I was wondering on your recommendation for running fogs and driving/spots? Is it better to run the fogs low and wide in the factory spots or would they be better served on top of the bumper and spots in the bumper?
If you have a bumper that offers a fog location, it would be beneficial to put the fogs there. Factory location, or some aftermarket have locations for fog lights. If not, you can mount on top of the bumper. You would want to keep them below your head lights. Low and wide, correct. I personally prefer Amber fogs rather than White.
Driving and Spots you can mount in numerous locations.
If you have questions on locations and/or beam patterns, feel free to shoot me a private message and I can help you out.
Sponsored