Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT, 1969 Wagoneer
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lighting Adventures Since 1970
I received my tracking number today- should arrive late week. Great constumer service as usual. I will order the rock lights next.
Thanks! Glad that they got it shipped out to you. Let me know if you need help with anything else.
Sponsored

Greyhound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
img_9591-jpg.jpg

img_9593-jpg.jpg

img_9597-jpg.jpg

Nice. Looks good. I added some FE4 over the weekend also. I added a relay and hooked up the amber back light as a running light.
Do you have a wiring diagram of how you did the amber backlight to the relay? I watched the video and can get it off there, but just wanted to check and see if you happened to already have it laying around. Thanks!!!

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A
Do you have a wiring diagram of how you did the amber backlight to the relay? I watched the video and can get it off there, but just wanted to check and see if you happened to already have it laying around. Thanks!!!
I don't have one, it was all in my head. Give me a few, I will try to make you one later today.

Greyhound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't have one, it was all in my head. Give me a few, I will try to make you one later today.
No rush!!! And like I said.....I can get it off the video if you don't have the time / desire to make one. I just appreciate the info you have provided on here and youtube!!

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
No rush!!! And like I said.....I can get it off the video if you don't have the time / desire to make one. I just appreciate the info you have provided on here and youtube!!
Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLITES Flex Era 4 Wiring to AUX Switches 1634067846945

Here is a quick diagram of how I hooked it up. I attached a couple of files also if you want to download. One is the FE4 instructions and the other is this diagram as a PDF.

Basically run the Amber through a Normally Closed relay, then once you turn on the white light, it energize the relay and kills power to the Amber.

Let me know if this helps or if you have any other questions.

Attachments

Sponsored

Greyhound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLITES Flex Era 4 Wiring to AUX Switches 1634067846945

Here is a quick diagram of how I hooked it up. I attached a couple of files also if you want to download. One is the FE4 instructions and the other is this diagram as a PDF.

Basically run the Amber through a Normally Closed relay, then once you turn on the white light, it energize the relay and kills power to the Amber.

Thanks!!!!

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
1634067846945.png

@Jeep Generation , I can literally cut a Jeep in half and put it back together but I can’t wrap my head around wiring. 🥸

I want to wire the Flex lights to turn off the amber when I turn on the main power.I’m not using the relay that came with the lights because I’m wiring them into the aux switches. I’m pretty sure I can use the 5 pin relay that came with the lights but what wire do I hook up to what terminal?

Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLITES Flex Era 4 Wiring to AUX Switches 7D7CDC2A-E9EE-48CB-A47D-CFAB7E79ACAD

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
@Jeep Generation , I can literally cut a Jeep in half and put it back together but I can’t wrap my head around wiring. 🥸

I want to wire the Flex lights to turn off the amber when I turn on the main power.I’m not using the relay that came with the lights because I’m wiring them into the aux switches. I’m pretty sure I can use the 5 pin relay that came with the lights but what wire do I hook up to what terminal?

Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLITES Flex Era 4 Wiring to AUX Switches 7D7CDC2A-E9EE-48CB-A47D-CFAB7E79ACAD
Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLITES Flex Era 4 Wiring to AUX Switches 1635355077508

The relay that comes with the KC harness won't work as a shut off relay. It is a normally open relay. When you energize the relay on terminals 85 and 86, it connections the main power on terminal 30 and sends it to both 87 terminals to the lights. You need a normally closed relay for a shut off function. So power can normally pass through the really to the amber back light, then when you turn on the white light, it will also energize the relay, opening up the contacts, killing power to the amber light. You can also use a Form C relay that has Com, NO, and NC on it. Or just get a NC (Normally Close) Relay. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any other help, or need help tracking down a relay.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr

The relay that comes with the KC harness won't work as a shut off relay. It is a normally open relay. When you energize the relay on terminals 85 and 86, it connections the main power on terminal 30 and sends it to both 87 terminals to the lights. You need a normally closed relay for a shut off function. So power can normally pass through the really to the amber back light, then when you turn on the white light, it will also energize the relay, opening up the contacts, killing power to the amber light. You can also use a Form C relay that has Com, NO, and NC on it. Or just get a NC (Normally Close) Relay. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any other help, or need help tracking down a relay.
I seen the two power wires coming off the relay just before I read this and figured that was the case. I found another relay at the parts store and figured it out. Putting power to the 87a pin it pulls the relay open and shuts the power off. Works great! Thanks for the help!

Grace213

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Good morning. I'm going to be installing two Flex Era 4 off road lights on my 2020 JLU and I want to wire them to two of my factory auxiliary switches. These lights come with a wiring harness that includes a two way switch since the lights have both a low power amber backlight and a high power white main light. The amber light can be run as a running light when the main high power light is not in use. Below is a photo of the wiring diagram of the wiring harness from KC. Since I want to wire these to two of my auxiliary switches, I will not need the switch or the relay included with the harness. As I see it, I can cut the white wire (the one that splits and feeds the two lights) and connect it to one of the auxiliary switches. And I also would cut the two red wires coming out of the relay. I assume these power the high power white lights in the Flex Lights. These two wires would be combined and then conneced to another auxiliary switch wire. Then I would connect the black ground wire to a chassis ground or negative battery terminal. That would give me one aux switch to control both high power white lights and another aux switch to control the low power amber backlights. Am I looking at this correctly? I would appreciate any input or advice anyone here can share with me.
Yes. Both white wires to 1st aux switch and both red wires to 2nd aux switch. Black with ring terminal goes to ground, either chasis or battery.

Sponsored

Sssuperdave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392, 69 SS/RS Camaro, 2023Yukon

Here are some pictures of the KC harness and info on the Mopar Switches with Fuse locations.

The 2 legs going to the actual FE4 lights each have 3 wires in them. Red, Black and White.

The Blacks need to go to your battery negative for best connection.

The Whites are the Amber back light. If you want to use a AUX Switch, I would recommend Switch #3 or #4. They are 15 amps max. To match the KC wiring, you should swap out that 15 amp Micro Fuse for a 3 amp to match what they are using to safe off that wire to the light. They want it to pop at 3 amps, not 15.

The Reds are the Main White Light. I would recommend to use with Switch #1 or #2 as they are rated at 40 amps max. Now I would recommend swapping out the 40 amp Cartridge Fuse for a 25 amp to match the KC wiring. They want it to pop at 25, not 40. By the time it reaches 40 amps, something could burn up. If it is hard to find the Cartridge Fuse (not a common fuse), you would also use the KC 25 amp inline fuse between the Mopar Switch leg and the KC Red wires.

Note that KC did not intend for both White and Amber to be on at the same time. So make sure to turn off the Amber before turning on the White.

Hope this helps. Let me know if anyone has any questions.
I figured the red wire was for the bright lights but it is the white wire on my lights and the reds were used to operate the amber background lights.

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
I figured the red wire was for the bright lights but it is the white wire on my lights and the reds were used to operate the amber background lights.
The RED wires should be the main light, and WHITE wires are for the Amber back light. Is yours set up different?

Sssuperdave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392, 69 SS/RS Camaro, 2023Yukon
The RED wires should be the main light, and WHITE wires are for the Amber back light. Is yours set up different?
I called KC today. They had great customer service. They said there were a few cables that went out with the wires reversed……I got one. They said the white wire was big enough for the draw on the spot light. Since I already ran the wires, I am going to use that set up. They offered to send the correct cables.
It makes me feel better because there is not very much I could have done to screw up the wiring.

Greyhound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Need some help from the wiring brain trust please!!!

I have three FE4 on my bumper, ran through a a relay and inline fuse to Aux switch #1 (40 amp). This is the same setup that Jeep Generation has posted in his video in this thread. Never had any problems with this set up.

I recently added two more FE4 in the same setup (relay / inline fuse) and placed them on the cowls. These two inline fuses are wired into the same Aux switch #1.

Now, when the lights are on for about three minutes, I blow the 40 amp fuse. The inline fuses are fine......and the amber background lights on the FE4 still work when the fuse blows. I have the set of three and set of two on different grounds, and I've checked the wiring itself to make sure all is good there....but I'm drawing blanks.

I'll admit wiring isn't my strong point, but reading this post regarding amperage makes me thing I should be within limits. Anybody have any ideas????

KC HiLiTES

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT, 1969 Wagoneer
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lighting Adventures Since 1970
Need some help from the wiring brain trust please!!!

I have three FE4 on my bumper, ran through a a relay and inline fuse to Aux switch #1 (40 amp). This is the same setup that Jeep Generation has posted in his video in this thread. Never had any problems with this set up.

I recently added two more FE4 in the same setup (relay / inline fuse) and placed them on the cowls. These two inline fuses are wired into the same Aux switch #1.

Now, when the lights are on for about three minutes, I blow the 40 amp fuse. The inline fuses are fine......and the amber background lights on the FE4 still work when the fuse blows. I have the set of three and set of two on different grounds, and I've checked the wiring itself to make sure all is good there....but I'm drawing blanks.

I'll admit wiring isn't my strong point, but reading this post regarding amperage makes me thing I should be within limits. Anybody have any ideas????
You are looking at around 35 amp with 5 of those FE4 for the white light. The amber is a different feed than the white light. So if the 40 amp blows, it wouldn't effect the amber light. That diagram you linked doesn't show using any relays, it uses the mopar internal relay for the factory switches. You mentioned you had relays installed, so that could be where the issue is coming from. Excessive heat can cause that relay to blow early also. I will send you a private message. See if I can help you figure this out. Can you send me some pictures of your install and where and how you have the relays installed?
Sponsored