Sponsored

KC HiLites Cyclones Install

NewTXJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I finally got my Cyclones installed. Just an fyi, I am a complete novice at electrical and lighting (or really anything hands on automotive work)

First the end result

IMG_1311-L.jpg

The kit I got was the Amber kit

https://www.kchilites.com/cyclone-led-6-light-universal-rock-light-kit.html

Now, most folks will likely say that they are overpriced, but to me the quality is apparent.

The kit itself is complete with the exception of the bolts used to mount on the vehicle, but you would reuse existing bolts anyways. The kit comes with:

- Cyclones
- Mounting brackets and bolts
- 6 harnesses for the lights (this is the one that i wasn't a big fan of. Couldn't they string them together somehow???)
- 1 harness with the fuse block, switch wires, etc. (this was nice, each light has its own fuse)
- Zip ties and split loom
- Grounding block (didn't use this)

I skipped a few pictures because they were very basic steps (even for me..). Also, don't mind the dirt/ mud..needs a much needed detail.

Note: I wouldn't call this the cleanest install, primarily because of the number of wires. There might be other rock lights with better wiring layout, but for me the way these are designed and the way they mount was important. Through the center hole and using existing body bolts vs having to find spots to drill holes, etc.

Step 1: Modify the harness attached to the fuse block
- I used my Trigger Six Shooter to control this, so the only think I needed was the RED wire connected to the fuse block
- Modified the other end of the RED wire to use the six shooter connecter

Step 2: Mount fuse block and connect to Trigger
This was the hardest part for me since I was looking for space on the passenger side, but finally gave up and mounted on the driver side as in picture. This worked out well because there is also plenty of space here to drop the wires. Note: Careful mounting the fuse block here since there are wires running inside the channel. I used smaller screws than what were provided in the kit.

IMG_8768-XL.jpg

Step 3: Run the hot (red) wire from the driver side to the passenger side and connect the fuse block to the Trigger

IMG_7482-XL.jpg

Step 4: Mount the cyclones and run harnesses

- Mounted the front 2 below the front bumper. The 2 harnesses were dropped behind the diver side headlight. The passenger side was routed across behind the bumper. These were the easy ones.
IMG_1903-XL.jpg

IMG_0458-XL.jpg

The 4 harnesses for the middle and the rear cyclones was dropped in the open cavity on the drivers side and routed through the frame.

IMG_2104_heic-XL.jpg

IMG_0078-XL.jpg

Two harnesses were then routed to the passenger side using one of the cross members (?)

IMG_6656-XL.jpg

- Middle cyclones bolted to one of the step bolts on both sides. The harness was run through the body frame and then through the body as below to get it close to the light itself

IMG_2355-XL.jpg

I just found 2 spots on the rear of the jeep and mounted the two rear cyclones. I ran the harnesses for the rear cyclones through the frame far as I could and then over the frame rail and zip tied to existing cables (literally anything i could find). Note: The only harness that was shorter than required was the passenger side rear one, but i think this was primarily because of how I routed the cables. The good part was that I was able to use the extra length of wires from the drivers side middle light to extend this one.

IMG_1369-XL.jpg
Sponsored

Ryno77

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome write up! Thanks for this.

Sponsored

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase
I'm liking this, but that is a lot of wires. I wonder if you could lose those ground wires to the lights and just ground to the mounting bolt and lose the fuse box and go straight to your Trigger. You could probably only have one hot wire going down each side of the Jeep. The advantage is less wires, the disadvantage is you short one, you lose them all. Just a thought, when/if I ever get around to installing them, I'm not sure what way I would do it. Thanks for the write up.

OP
OP
NewTXJL

NewTXJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I'm liking this, but that is a lot of wires. I wonder if you could lose those ground wires to the lights and just ground to the mounting bolt and lose the fuse box and go straight to your Trigger. You could probably only have one hot wire going down each side of the Jeep. The advantage is less wires, the disadvantage is you short one, you lose them all. Just a thought, when/if I ever get around to installing them, I'm not sure what way I would do it. Thanks for the write up.
agree 100%..way too many wires, but a rookie like me can’t really take a chance :). So I went with the instructions and decided not to get creative.

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase
agree 100%..way too many wires, but a rookie like me can’t really take a chance :). So I went with the instructions and decided not to get creative.
Your way might be better than mine. I don't have enough experience in even needing rock lights to know how often they are getting shorted out by landing on a rock. With your set-up they are basically wired independently.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
I have the white cyclone kit sitting on my bench waiting to go in. Maybe this weekend I will tackle it. Yours look awesome.
I agree about the quality, you can see that these lights are built well.
I would be reluctant to run any wires through a crossmember that can be dropped though, as I would not want to have to cut the wires to drop it or deal with unhooking wiring and having to rerun the wires when I am done servicing whatever.

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
how often are you dropping your crossmember? just add a quick release then.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NewTXJL

NewTXJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have the white cyclone kit sitting on my bench waiting to go in. Maybe this weekend I will tackle it. Yours look awesome.
I agree about the quality, you can see that these lights are built well.
I would be reluctant to run any wires through a crossmember that can be dropped though, as I would not want to have to cut the wires to drop it or deal with unhooking wiring and having to rerun the wires when I am done servicing whatever.
Not really sure what you mean by dropping a crossmember.. Why would I?? I guess it's my rookieness (?) showing??

Mmorreale

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara Altitude 3.0 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Retired (disabled) Firefighter
Does anybody know if it’s possible to hook up this kit to the Mopar switches and also hook it up for entry lighting? I’m disabled and use a portable step to gain entry. Entry lighting would be awesome.

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A
Does anybody know if it’s possible to hook up this kit to the Mopar switches and also hook it up for entry lighting? I’m disabled and use a portable step to gain entry. Entry lighting would be awesome.
@WTFSoCal has his Cyclones hooked up to come on when he locks and unlocks his doors with the key fob. Great for camping , click your key fob and see what is around your Jeep at a distance. He might be able to help out. I I think he used a diode under his dash somewhere and tied in.

As far as using the Mopar Switch, you can also do that to turn on the lights. Just need to make sure you tie in to the right amperage .

Mmorreale

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara Altitude 3.0 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Retired (disabled) Firefighter
@WTFSoCal has his Cyclones hooked up to come on when he locks and unlocks his doors with the key fob. Great for camping , click your key fob and see what is around your Jeep at a distance. He might be able to help out. I I think he used a diode under his dash somewhere and tied in.

As far as using the Mopar Switch, you can also do that to turn on the lights. Just need to make sure you tie in to the right amperage .

That’s great. Thank you, that is exactly how I want them to work.
Sponsored