Kayaks

Mgiufre

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler sport JL
I read a few threads about this. I have a 2018 JL Sport 4Dr. Have a 60lb Kayak. Only racks I have found advise against water sport equipment im assuming because of weight? Has anyone found a good solution to this? Rack, hitch, other creative? Thanks!!!
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Are you willing to install (or do you already have) front and or back hitches?

Do you have a soft or hard top (or both)?

My first version of a roof rack for the JL used a Darby Extend-A-Truck.

https://www.etrailer.com/Watersport...MI0d-9u5z-3AIVhgOGCh19kgmfEAQYASABEgKOY_D_BwE

For reasons not pertaining to the device's excellent construction and application for kayaks I ended up switching it out, but you could combine this with the same product in a front hitch, or if you have (or acquire-assuming you're running a hard top) the MOPAR hard top roof rails, perhaps use them in combination with a rear (or front) only Extend-A-Truck. Here's a write-up on front hitch JL installation.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/installing-a-front-hitch-on-a-jl.8637/#post-192446

Yet another option might be a full coverage roof rack like a Gobi, or a DIY variety.

Here's a link to my DIY roof rack, the aforementioned one that started out using a Darby Extend-A-Truck. Even if it's construction isn't for you, there's a picture in there of a 2 door Wrangler hauling a kayak with 2 Darby Extend-A-Truck devices on each end of the rig.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/diy-no-hole-roof-rails.10580/

FWIW I have an extra, new, unboxed Extend-A-Truck I'm willing to sell for a song, but only if that solution is right for you. Contact me privately please if you are interested. (Context: I'm here to offer advice, not sell my wares.)

OP
OP

Mgiufre

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler sport JL
Russ this is great information and THANK YOU!!! I am also looking at trailers now because I need to get one too for other hauling so i am thinking about combining the two needs by getting a suitable trailer...

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I read a few threads about this. I have a 2018 JL Sport 4Dr. Have a 60lb Kayak. Only racks I have found advise against water sport equipment im assuming because of weight? Has anyone found a good solution to this? Rack, hitch, other creative? Thanks!!!
The issue in your case is not weight, quite the opposite is the “lift” created by the wind against the kayak. Most racks are set to hold weight but not to be pulled upwards.

OP
OP

Mgiufre

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler sport JL
The issue in your case is not weight, quite the opposite is the “lift” created by the wind against the kayak. Most racks are set to hold weight but not to be pulled upwards.
Thanks so much. Makes sense. What options do I have?

Sponsored

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe a slight red neck solution but if you are going short distances and the weather is nice, take the top off the Jeep and put the kayak upside down on the Jeep, strap it down and go. Rachet straps will keep any drag in check.

BAE3DFA9-568E-4B79-B8E3-B279346D1322.jpeg