Sponsored

Kayak Rack/Carrier Options for JLUR Soft Top?

tdoga2

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Does anyone have any suggestions for a roof rack that can be used to carry kayaks and works with an OEM soft top?
Sponsored

OP
OP
tdoga2

tdoga2

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
The exposed racks is a great concept except when you put wet slimy yaks on top and the drip on you while driving since the top has to be down to use it..

Does not seem to be many options. On the JK we went with a cage and put the yaks on top. For the JL we use a Yakima trailer. May eventually go to a cage on the JL. Still looking...

OP
OP
tdoga2

tdoga2

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The exposed racks is a great concept except when you put wet slimy yaks on top and the drip on you while driving since the top has to be down to use it..

Does not seem to be many options. On the JK we went with a cage and put the yaks on top. For the JL we use a Yakima trailer. May eventually go to a cage on the JL. Still looking...
Yes, not many options at all, which is surprising. Seems like a decent business opportunity for a metal craftsman. I often wish I had those skills.

Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Yes, not many options at all, which is surprising. Seems like a decent business opportunity for a metal craftsman. I often wish I had those skills.
The aftermarket is definitely lacking for several things on the JL. I’d love to be able to fabricate things but my welding skills are sorely lacking.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Does anyone have any suggestions for a roof rack that can be used to carry kayaks and works with an OEM soft top?
At the cheaper end, and it requires front and rear hitches, is the Darby solution. https://darbyindustries.com/product/extend-a-truck/

At the higher end is any rack that attaches to the body, the highest end being an LOD or Gobi model, with plenty of cheaper models as well, but all much more expensive than roof rack mounts.

Some of the higher end racks (e.g. an LOD fully loaded) can get pricey enough that buying a hard top with gutter mounts to attach a cheap (gutter mounted) rack to actually becomes a reasonable consideration.

If all you're hauling above is kayaks, these racks are likely to be overkill. On the other hand, if your hauling more than 150 pounds, such gutter mounts would not be strong enough as attachment points.

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
I use the Exposed Racks. Carries them upright so don't understand having trouble with dripping water. Flip down the top, click in the Yak holders and strap down. Easy.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Solid rack. worth every penny. The manufacturing quality is superb. I had one with my soft top and took it everywhere, I am now selling it for a pretty bargain price. But can't ship it. I moved to a hardtop jeep, the soft top just didn't do it for me. I was gonna order a soft top for the summer and keep the rack, but instead got a toplift pro and just don't see a need for a soft top.

OP
OP
tdoga2

tdoga2

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Solid rack. worth every penny. The manufacturing quality is superb. I had one with my soft top and took it everywhere, I am now selling it for a pretty bargain price. But can't ship it. I moved to a hardtop jeep, the soft top just didn't do it for me. I was gonna order a soft top for the summer and keep the rack, but instead got a toplift pro and just don't see a need for a soft top.
Where are you located and how much are you asking?